Obd security

Pop the port out of its mount, attach an OBD extension cable from eBay or alike, hide the port somewhere else in the vehicle vehicle.

If you have a 2019 vehicle or newer then you don't need to worry bout this so much as new vehicles have a diagnostic firewall in place which needs to be disabled before anything other than reading fault codes can be done.

Reactions: John Pilkington
Pop the port out of its mount, attach an OBD extension cable from eBay or alike, hide the port somewhere else in the vehicle vehicle.

If you have a 2019 vehicle or newer then you don't need to worry bout this so much as new vehicles have a diagnostic firewall in place which needs to be disabled before anything other than reading fault codes can be done.
Hi pal,thanks for that.have a 19 plate s3.

Only problem with that is, it wouldn't take long to find the extended OBD port.

Autowatch Ghost is the better, but the most expensive option.

Have got the ghost fitted just wanted to add more security or is this not required if ghost is fitted thanks

Reactions: wab172uk
Top man adding the layers .

Another one , Sprint Booster , pedal lock !

Reactions: N.J.H and John Pilkington
The only pedal box with a 3 digit pin that will only give idle after starting , press the pedal , nothing changes + 3 valet modes that significantly reduce power output .

..... and you think a scumbag would not "give it a miss" when discovering something out go the ordinary?

If you connect an extension, secure it to your popped out factory port, run it way up behind the dash and then fabric tape in all your wiring to a new location it will be very hard and more importantly more time consuming for a thief to work out were the port has been moved to, of course this would rely on the owner finding a good hiding place and not being lazy. Once hidden you can also replace the factory port and a dummy which is not connected to anything which would really confuse them!

Reactions: Jared 66, AlS3BE, Leevr and 2 others
..... and you think a scumbag would not "give it a miss" when discovering something out go the ordinary?

If you connect an extension, secure it to your popped out factory port, run it way up behind the dash and then fabric tape in all your wiring to a new location it will be very hard and more importantly more time consuming for a thief to work out were the port has been moved to, of course this would rely on the owner finding a good hiding place and not being lazy. Once hidden you can also replace the factory port and a dummy which is not connected to anything which would really confuse them!

was speaking to a mate(tech) about doing something like this and he mentioned doing something different.
Rewire/re-pin the original obd port to something else like a vga port from a computer or some other proprietary Port then create a vga to obd port adapter. This way when your car gets service you can just hand the adapter over to the garage or dealership rather than mucking about fishing out the real obd port out for the garage. The benefit is only you will know how you rewired the port/adapter and if a thief gets in the car he will notice the obd port is very different and hopefully leave. Reckon a couple of hours work to do this with a soldering iron.
All the methods have merits though all depend how keen the thief is as if there’s a will there’s a way.

Reactions: DJAlix and John Pilkington

True, and I see the logic. But if the thieves have the time to look, it doesn't take a genius to find the new location. I also see some people are putting metal plates over the port, and using locking nuts to secure it in place. So unless the thief has the correct spanner, he ain't taking it off.

Unfortunately, as we all know. If they want it bad enough, they'll take it no matter what you do. Sad times.

Reactions: John Pilkington and S32B
Have got the ghost fitted just wanted to add more security or is this not required if ghost is fitted thanks

If they are able to bypass the Ghost, then nothing else will be able to stop them. Personally, I don't want to be faffing about with steering locks, moving ports etc. They just slow the scum down, but doesn't stop them.

But each to their own. If additions to the Ghost make you feel your car is safer, then that is what you should do.

Unfortunately, as we all know. If they want it bad enough, they'll take it no matter what you do. Sad times.
Exactly, I have a Ghost system on my current car and it's a great bit of kit. But would I bother on my next car? No, I'll just use the old fashioned steering lock and if they take the car claim off GAP.

My car is going back in a few months and I'll have to have the ghost system removed, £70 to do that and apparently you can't use it on the new car! Something to do with software updates!?!?!

Exactly, I have a Ghost system on my current car and it's a great bit of kit. But would I bother on my next car? No, I'll just use the old fashioned steering lock and if they take the car claim off GAP.

My car is going back in a few months and I'll have to have the ghost system removed, £70 to do that and apparently you can't use it on the new car! Something to do with software updates!?!?!

Couldn't you just leave it on? Added security feature for selling on the car?

Hi,what new car is that pal

Couldn't you just leave it on? Added security feature for selling on the car?
If I sell it to a dealership as a px or to a trader then yes I'll leave it on. However, if I'm walking away from the pcp at the end and BCA are collecting the car I assume they'd want it off!

Hi,what new car is that pal
lol not decided yet, what I have decided is no more £30k plus cars...just don't use it enough! 8,000 mile since Sept 2017!
Two at the top of my list are the Fiesta ST3 or the MX5 RF...sods law we are on lockdown, saw the one below for sale and the price is bang on what I want to pay....not my first choice in colour but it's been lowered and has the bodykit on it.

Things that put me off the ST3 slightly is that 9/10 times you see them it's a chav boy racer driving! and my current insurance wants about £1,800 to insure it lol, my S3 with them was £272 :p And it's always in my mind the ST is more likely to be stolen...s**t that you have to think like that, but I don't want to put my wife at any risk for the sake of a car!

I only need a weekend car as in the week I only use it for work and back (10 mins each way), so want something around £21k, small, fun, sporty, cheap to run/keep on the road and reliable....think the RF ticks all those boxes. But mainly I want a car that when it's nice I want to go for a drive for the hell of it, did that loads of times in the S3 but never in the A5 coupe! The A5 is a lovely looking car and a great comfy drive, but it's not a 'Let's go for a blast around the country lanes car'.

If I sell it to a dealership as a px or to a trader then yes I'll leave it on. However, if I'm walking away from the pcp at the end and BCA are collecting the car I assume they'd want it off!

lol not decided yet, what I have decided is no more £30k plus cars...just don't use it enough! 8,000 mile since Sept 2017!
Two at the top of my list are the Fiesta ST3 or the MX5 RF...sods law we are on lockdown, saw the one below for sale and the price is bang on what I want to pay....not my first choice in colour but it's been lowered and has the bodykit on it.

Things that put me off the ST3 slightly is that 9/10 times you see them it's a chav boy racer driving! and my current insurance wants about £1,800 to insure it lol, my S3 with them was £272 :p And it's always in my mind the ST is more likely to be stolen...s**t that you have to think like that, but I don't want to put my wife at any risk for the sake of a car!

I only need a weekend car as in the week I only use it for work and back (10 mins each way), so want something around £21k, small, fun, sporty, cheap to run/keep on the road and reliable....think the RF ticks all those boxes. But mainly I want a car that when it's nice I want to go for a drive for the hell of it, did that loads of times in the S3 but never in the A5 coupe! The A5 is a lovely looking car and a great comfy drive, but it's not a 'Let's go for a blast around the country lanes car'.

View attachment 201463 View attachment 201464 View attachment 201465
Nice looking motor that pal

Reactions: S32B