OBD Protector

audismart

YOU ARE JUDGED BY THE CAR YOU DRIVE.
Reaction score
Anyone having an obd protector fitted?
I wont be.
I dont want insurance companies following my every move, its a flash black box for experienced drivers and another big brother move to examine our every move. The more that get fitted the more it will be an insurance must have in my opinion.

"Obd protector" is that what they're calling it.
Hell no thank you! Not because my driving is that bad but I'm not interested in having the nosey b@#$£€!s following my every move.

Reactions: audismart
No ta, unfortunately I can see the day where every new car has one and every A road and motorway has average speed cameras.

Driving will be **** unless you're in the country side.

I did wilds of Essex to west London last night at 01:30 and it was great.

Reactions: audismart
Gents, I'm one of the people behind the design of Portector. There's no need to worry as there's no black box in sight or functions to collect any data from the vehicle. It's sole purpose is stop the f##kwits plugging into the obd port and bypassing the immobiliser or programming a key. All it does is give control to the owner over who has access to the data on the ecu - so if anything stops others collecting and compiling data.
Its a sound piece of kit - although I would say that as I've had to live and breath it for a year, it's the only system to have stood and exceeded what Thatcham could throw at it too!!

Reactions: Sandra
Usually £300 but with the negotiated 20% discount that ASN members get £240 (need to enter code AUDISNX at checkout) - this includes onsite installation (won't be available as self fit product due to Thatcham Criteria stating needs to be installed professionally).
No hard wiring during install meaning no warranty invalidation and/or issues elsewhere, utises a bespoke loom to integrate into the vehicle instead.
Have a look www.obdportector.com - any questions let me know.

...questions for you Paul...
My car has been re-mapped - and - I use a REVO SPS...
Now...
Would I still be able to use the SPS?
Would it affect the re-map in any way?

Simon

Hi Simon
I've spoken briefly with support at Revo as I wasn't totally sure how their system worked. Having spoken with them it should not be an issue (you may wish to double check first of course).
Portector simply isolates the CAN wires allowing no communication through the port, when armed. Switching it off allows full access to the ecu and diagnostics of the vehicle. There is no writing or gathering data at all from our system and therefore it should have zero impact on your re-map or anything else on the vehicle.
To make a change using your SPS, simply switch off the Portector (swipe obd authorisation card over switch and press it) plug in SPS, make required changes, when finished, unplug SPS and rearm Portector by pressing switch (will rearm if you forget after 8 hours but better just to switch when done as will arm almost immediately) and that's it.
If the system needs the OBD port to constantly communicate then unfortunately it would not work as the communication cannot take place consistently with a Portector fitted, but I'm pretty sure yours doesn't so you should be all good.

Reactions: SimonSystems
so what stops a determined theif from connecting to the can h/l lines and maybe even k-line further down the loom ,or is it more for the oppertunist theif?
as tbh when ppl are having new modern cars stolen ,the people behind it arent oppertunists ,there organised as they already have the hardware/software needed to bypass the immobiliser and the locking ,plus the steering lock etc .
i also was lead to believe that the systems on newer cars not sure on all manufacturers was thatcham cat 1 anyway ?

During the testing at Thatcham, Portector underwent the same professional over wire test that Cat 1/2/5/6 etc have to pass, which includes picking up CAN further up the loom. Without going into too much detail, this failed in the permitted time. The professional test (thief comes prepared with working knowledge of the cars electronics and equipped to bypass) is a 5 minute test. During testing we were at 9 minutes before the test was stopped and the system was still intact. Whilst they managed to pick up CAN from the loom they were unable to overwire the system to make any use of what they had.
You're right many vehicle have cat 1, but the methods thieves deploy, manipulate the car into thinking the key is either present and/or program a new key and as the system is integral to the vehicle, this disarms all manufacturers security. The professional equipment usually used requires access and communication through the OBD port, which is where our system comes in. Turning off the port, stops the opportunity to communicate.

Reactions: SimonSystems and hollows wife
As someone who's actually experienced having their car stolen by the OBD port method I can tell you now, having this bit of kit fitted is by far the best thing I've done.
It's easy to use, it gives me peace of mind because I know they aren't gonna be able to break my window and in 30 seconds be driving my car away again, and if I do want to connect my VAG COM I can do it in seconds.. I did it last night. Secure as can be with easy access should you need it.

I think it'll obviously depend on how you think about things, but I can tell you there is literally no worse feeling than knowing some scrote has stolen your pride and joy, and not only that he's managed to do it with such ease. It's difficult to explain, but if you forget about the costs I have had to pay because of it getting stolen (£3,500), I can tell you the feeling knowing someone took something of yours is sickening, It's on your mind every night after its happened.. you start blaming yourself and all sorts.

You can read what happened to me here if you're interested:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...a4-black-edition-was-stolen-last-night.260033

I reviewed the Portector from Paul's guys too here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/obd-port-lock-from-obdportector-com.265092/

Lastly, not sure what you're talking about in regards to it being a Insurance spy tool? It's a piece of kit that protects the OBD port and that's it.. there's no tracking inside it or anything of the sort :S

Hope that helps & gives you a bit of insight!

I guess alot of companies will buy these for fleet vehicles etc. Also people with top end cars , custom motors etc .

Reactions: lukus89
Sounds promising but how long until the pro car thiefs find a way round it and my insurance premium goes up because I haven't got it fitted?

I don't think you really get the point.

You want to keep it easy to steal ya car, crack on. I'd just do some more research before you start labelling em as spying devices.

Reactions: HORBY
I don't think you really get the point.

You want to keep it easy to steal ya car, crack on. I'd just do some more research before you start labelling em as spying devices.
Mate dont get out of your pram because I have a fair point on the insurance issue, and the issue of thief's catching up to your device, if you dont have a fair answer back thats your problem, I`m just pointing out the pitfalls, which is positive criticism. As for the spying device, yeah maybe not yet but devices simular to this are being touted and yours will follow suit I`m sure, Bet your unit has a RFID inside it somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate dont get out of your pram because I have a fair point on the insurance issue, and the issue of thief's catching up to your device, if you dont have a fair answer back thats your problem, I`m just pointing out the pitfalls, which is positive criticism. As for the spying device, yeah maybe not yet but devices simular to this are being touted and yours will follow suit I`m sure, Bet your unit has a RFID inside it somewhere.
Wow.

Where to start...
1. There's no RFID inside the device I've got. If there was I'd have seen it when I took it apart.

2. Your not making any valid points at all, really. So far you've claimed there spying devices, and made a point that they're bad because "insurance adapts them then premiums go up"... Which is entirely wrong. Telling your insurance you've got one actually lowers your premium... Think about it.

3. Again, you just seem negative towards something trying to help you.
It's like saying why clean something as it just gets dirty again.

4. Ive not spoke about any other device, I gave input on the one I got. The one I got happens to be the same one Paul is talking about.

5. If you want a review of the device I've got click the link above. If you want someone who just wants to whine and make weird claims about things, stay here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Simon
I've spoken briefly with support at Revo as I wasn't totally sure how their system worked. Having spoken with them it should not be an issue (you may wish to double check first of course).
Portector simply isolates the CAN wires allowing no communication through the port, when armed. Switching it off allows full access to the ecu and diagnostics of the vehicle. There is no writing or gathering data at all from our system and therefore it should have zero impact on your re-map or anything else on the vehicle.
To make a change using your SPS, simply switch off the Portector (swipe obd authorisation card over switch and press it) plug in SPS, make required changes, when finished, unplug SPS and rearm Portector by pressing switch (will rearm if you forget after 8 hours but better just to switch when done as will arm almost immediately) and that's it.
If the system needs the OBD port to constantly communicate then unfortunately it would not work as the communication cannot take place consistently with a Portector fitted, but I'm pretty sure yours doesn't so you should be all good.

Thanks for the answer Paul...
Another question - who have you got fitting the device,,,existing garages or mobile fitters? I only ask because I would like to see/touch before I buy (if that makes sense)...

Simon

LOL, Well your probably right on some of what your saying.
1. There are probably several RFID`s in my car already that have been secretively fitted without knowledge or consent anyway.
2. If there was an insurance incentive to get one fitted then I would like to see it.
3. If it helps then cool I`m on board with that, I just see insurance companies using it to their own advantage and not the motorist and that hacks me off. What stops my next insurance quote asking whether I have a Thatcham approved OBD protector fitted, I say no and my premium is £50 more than it was last year, say yes and hey presto its the same as last year, no improvement is there? Just out of pocket £240 and the same cost of insurance as it would have been, except my car may or may not be stolen.
I remember the racing driver who invented the Gatso speed camera saying it would never be used on the British roads, and we all know how that ended.
4. I`m not whining, just pointing things out to get sensible answers.
5. RFIDS are not weird, they are scary truth my friend.

Hi Simon,
Our national installation partner is RS Connect. You may not have heard of them but they are the largest and by far the most capable company whom are carrying out automotive installs (on any scale) in the UK and beyond, we have an SLA with them to ensure every system is installed to our standard (& thatchams) including photographic evidence which will be stored for a minimum of 3 years.

All data is handled and held by our partner The Internationsl Security Register (The ISR - they hold millions of data on car codes, key numbers etc for manufacturers and are the most accredited database of its type - we don't see or touch any information on you or your car)

You're welcome down to our place anytime (just let us know you are coming) in Banbury to see a demonstration and a system if it provides peace of mind. If you check any of our sites to look at some of our clients, we deal directly with many motor manufacturers and would never release anything we felt would jeopardise our reputation.

Not to add fuel to the fire gents:

As for Portector,
This is a dedicated obd port protection device, it has no other function and no plans at all to extend into other areas, tracking, data capture or otherwise (trust me I own the company so can assure you of that).

Each to their own, all we've tried to create is a modern day solution to a modern day issue - fully appreciate a massive steering lock looking like mr happy on a £30-£100k motor works just as well (but looks ***** and totally impractical), as does cutting into the wires (if you're careful, not worried about warranty and know what you're doing) and plenty of other methods to protect your motor.. But when you decide to choose a motor, if you didn't choose a Kia Picanto to get you around although it ultimately does the same job, instead you chose a premier brand like Audi, why not opt for a premier system to protect the most known way to bypass the manufacturers security?

Insurers may decide that you should have obd security, that's true.. Not anyone's fault but their decision in order to minimise the risk of paying out for theft, unfortunately we aren't part of that decision nor can we influence it, that's just insurance. If anyone decides they'd prefer not to suffer like Luke then our system fits within a modern motor, is independently tested and assured by Thatcham for both security and integration into the vehicle. It's cost effective and the complete process of booking to installation is hassle free - trust me took months of meeting and a **** load of contracts and paperwork to ensure that's the case!
No drama if it's not for all, we fully understand and respect that. Any concerns just ask the question and I'll do my upmost to answer.

Reactions: SimonSystems and Sandra
Sorry didn't address the professional their point..

True anything fitted to a vehicle no matter what can be removed given the tools, time and opportunity to do.. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the game. However this has been tested against currently known profession methods and exceeds all industry standard for testing for a security device of its type and beyond (looking at cat 5 etc which are mandatory for most premier cars nowadays).

One of I t's strength is that unlike the scroats who have zero morals that mainly carry out these thefts (albeit armed with very advanced equipments), the system is intelligently designed. Those coming up to it would need substantial knowledge of the intricacies of both the vehicle and our system. In order to learn about our system they would need a vehicle fully installed (which means the owners unlikely to give up their access hard easily) and a brain (a big one at that). The system is fully resin bonded internally meaning that even if you had one, you couldn't strip it down to interogate the board.

We were present at the testing and watched a multitude of theft tactics fail to bypass it.. But could someone one day succeed, more than likely if they were that determined.. Reality is probably they'll always be plenty of unprotected cars out there and whilst it sounds harsh, that's mainly what you're doing fitting any product, is just pushing them on to another vehicle who thinks OE security will protect them.

We always work on a proactive development schedule.. If we think there's a way identified passed our system, we'll address it.

Cheers

...thank you for a very comprehensive and reassuring answer, Paul. You may have guessed that I like to know as much as possible about any product / service being fitted to my pride and joy - and I am paranoid about security and the desire to keep my car in my possession. Your product certainly "ticks the boxes"...
The only problem I have, now, is that I will not commit my card details to the vagaries of the internet (I've was ID fraud-ed a few years ago) - so - is it acceptable for me to phone your HQ and pay over the phone?

Cheers...

Simon

No problem Simon,

I'm happy that I can put your mind at ease and appreciate there's always a little apprehension when a new solution comes into the market.

The system is secure and the booking window is in fact a portal from The ISR (appears on our site but is from their database).

If you feel better you can access the form directly by going into obdcard.com (redirects straight through) alternatively yes of course, please feel free to call the office on 08455 193902. Just incase you decide to call, I will let our warehouse team leader Kris know and he will take your information. Any problems just ask for me, if I'm in I will take the call, if not just leave your contact info with the team and I'll call as soon as I can.

Thank you

Paul,
I'll be calling tomorrow - before lunchtime...
Keep the faith...spread the word...

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Email sent to the team to expect your call. Have a great night.

Sorry didn't address the professional their point..

True anything fitted to a vehicle no matter what can be removed given the tools, time and opportunity to do.. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the game. However this has been tested against currently known profession methods and exceeds all industry standard for testing for a security device of its type and beyond (looking at cat 5 etc which are mandatory for most premier cars nowadays).

One of I t's strength is that unlike the scroats who have zero morals that mainly carry out these thefts (albeit armed with very advanced equipments), the system is intelligently designed. Those coming up to it would need substantial knowledge of the intricacies of both the vehicle and our system. In order to learn about our system they would need a vehicle fully installed (which means the owners unlikely to give up their access hard easily) and a brain (a big one at that). The system is fully resin bonded internally meaning that even if you had one, you couldn't strip it down to interogate the board.

We were present at the testing and watched a multitude of theft tactics fail to bypass it.. But could someone one day succeed, more than likely if they were that determined.. Reality is probably they'll always be plenty of unprotected cars out there and whilst it sounds harsh, that's mainly what you're doing fitting any product, is just pushing them on to another vehicle who thinks OE security will protect them.

We always work on a proactive development schedule.. If we think there's a way identified passed our system, we'll address it.

Cheers
Well you cant knock a very honest and frank answer can you.
I really do hope you dont go down the tracking and data capture route. It is a great product.
Problem with organised car crime is they have millions at there disposal and will most probably be one of if not your first customers and get to work on your system straight out of the box to defeat it..
But good luck with it and I expect I will have to have it installed, especially if I end up with a few expensive modifications to my car or insurance persuades me.

Interested lurker here- is this specific to A3 or all Audi / Vag ? _ would it fit A5 ? _ sounds like a good solution - there is clearly a gap in the market for this type of security on obd port.

I'm pretty certain it will be ok for your A5. I'm sure Paul be along to confirm @element137

Hi, Portector will fit most vehicles including cars and lcv' in the market, only Volvo i think we are struggling on at present due to their bespoke obd plug (the rest we already have in place and that loom is being developed as we speak).
System using a bespoke loom depending on vehicle manufacturer but yes no probs at all on any Audis/VAG vehicles. We have plenty in stock.

Last edited:
yep thats what i thought definately found a gap in the market . and thinking about it wouldnt have been too hard to adapt a thatcham immobiliser with fob to touch a certain area in the car to do the same sort of thing disconnecting the can lines and kline . Dont know maybe thats what sort of idea the owner/designer of the protector had as well and has just took it further to making a dedicated device.

Hi hollow

Portector was originally based on a cat 2 immobiliser circuit, however in order to make it dedicated for obd and because we do not hard wire, we had to rewrite the circuit board and make a number of changes to ensure it did not cause any issues when fitted to a vehicle (cat 2 is pretty old technology and CAN being reasonably new and sensitive don't really mix).. The result I'm pleased to say is a phenomal dedicated solution and one I'm very happy with. Hopefully we can help a number of owners out by bringing them piece of mind offering them a professional solution to protect their pride and joy.

Worth noting, the changes we made and further development of our system is why we are the only system to have secured TQA (Thatcham quality assurance) to date.

Reactions: SimonSystems
well at least i was on the right track .my mistake is not thinking about it before you did lol , hope you have great success in you're venture pal .
found the perfect niche market which should be safe for some years to come with obd standard on most cars .

Haha cheers, you'll need to work faster next time ;)
We've invested a significant amount of time and money perfecting Portector. Whilst some manufacturers have stated they've sold this issue going forward (only time will tell), unfortunately this doesn't help everyone else and the millions of people who already have motors that are vulnerable.

thats just to grab the remote code ,the immobiliser then needs turning off via the obd port thats what the portector is fitted for it breaks the line of communication to the ecu,dash etc so you cant defeat the immobiliser as easy ,if they want your car then they will take it ,its just easier for them to move on to a more vunerable car though.

The report came out around 6 months ago and when reviewed it was more around how thieves are actually managing to gain entry (watch some of the videos on YouTube and a thief literally walks up to a car, indicators flash and they jump straight in).
Once inside this allows them access to the obd port and to program keys... Just confirms the necessity of securing your vehicle with Portecor (or of course some form of anti-theft device).
The video is good as it shows the speed that the key learning protocols can be bypassed using the same equipment a thief would.

Holy thread revival batman. Now that is out the way... are there any more reviews on this? Any success stories from forum members?