OBD Powered When Car Locked?

AndyKnight

Reaction score
As above, I was measuring some temps on my S3 this morning with an OBD bluetooth adapter and when i parked up at the train station I left it plugged in (forgot to take it out).
I've just remembered sitting here now, so will the adapter sit there active with the car locked or does the port get shutdown when locked?
Trying to work out the likelihood of me having a flat battery this evening lol.

Can't answer your query regarding draining the battery, not sure how much the bt adapter consumes but I suppose it depends if its trying to communicate with your device all day long.. But yes, the obd port retains power when the car is off/locked..

It will drain the battery. At least an OBDeleven will.

It's an obdlink one although by the sounds of it it's going to be flat no matter what.

I think it’s only powered via canbus for a period of time after locking the car maybe 10 minutes or so.

Try it out by attempting to connect to it at 5 minute intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't worry. I can't see it drawing anywhere near enough current to flatten your battery in a day, even if it doesn't switch itself off.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have regularly left my adaptor in for over a week at a time and never had so much as a low battery warning. This was a mini ELM327. I would be very surprised if you had a problem if your battery is in good health.

I've left my Carista thing plugged in for a couple of weeks, might have been left over the weekend without driving the car, but yeah no issues.

Yep car started fine so the AA can stand down lol.

Reactions: monopole
Good to hear! Someone on a VW forum started a thread to warn others about not to leave their OBDeleven plugged in because it had drained his battery but it seems this isn't always the case with other OBD tools.

Anybody happen to know if it will drain with Carista? Will make sure to always unplug after using it but would be good to know just in case.

Anybody happen to know if it will drain with Carista? Will make sure to always unplug after using it but would be good to know just in case.

Check the reply from @oli356 mate :hi:

I've left my Carista thing plugged in for a couple of weeks, might have been left over the weekend without driving the car, but yeah no issues.

Reactions: Kondax