O2/Lambda/Oxygen sensor removal

Get a 17mm deep socket and get your angle grinder out.

Cheaper and faster than buying the sockets

Very easy to make

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 373
Got the sockets sorted :), just cannot get any room for leverage no way no how. Do you have to take the entire inlet manifold off or something, at this rate its another busted thing staying busted.

Struggled with accessing mine too, ended up putting a flexible head ratchet into the socket and giving it a few hits with the hammer just to move it the initial 1mm (without removing the manifold)

Not recommended to stress the ratchet head like that but I needed the job done

Where did you get the room to hit it ?, just had a mate look it over and he reckons its either remove the inlet manifold (as thats what I think you have to do ) or drop the headers but you still have to take the inlet manifold off.

Cuts bruises and blood aside starting to not enjoy FrankenAudi ................:end of discction:

What car is it? On my 3.2 space is quite tight but can still be done from above fairly easily. I used the o2 sensor socket pictured above and a flexible head extending ratchet. Once you crack it loose you can undo it by hand.

Edit: just reading your other threads I see you may also have a 3.2. I'm happy to help or do it for you if your close to Huddersfield. I also have a spare used lambda sensor removed from bank 1 that you can have. Nothing wrong with it and it's a genuine audi one. I replaced mine and it turned out it wasn't faulty

Last edited:
That's a very kind and decent offer , unfortunately Huddersfield to Essex or the other way round is a bit of a haul :), the 3.2 uses 6 pin 5 wire lambda sensors so if that's what you have then yes I will have it :package:

It's off my 3.2 so I can guarantee it fits, and can confirm it's 6 pin / 5 wire black plug for Bank 1 pre cat. I'll try take a picture of my socket/ratchet on the sensor if that helps. Or even a video of removal if you want

Try shock tactics, hot then cold. I used a blowtorch to heat it up, sprayed penetrating oil as it was cooling down. You may have to do this 3 or 4 times but it will come free.

Try shock tactics, hot then cold. I used a blowtorch to heat it up, sprayed penetrating oil as it was cooling down. You may have to do this 3 or 4 times but it will come free.

Shouldn't need to do this though. With the right tools it will undo easy enough

what about lambda sensor socket + flexible head + breaking bar? socket itself is not that cheap but will save you more money than going to garage.

I've changed a few and none came out straight away, had to use the hot and cold method. If it's a newish car then maybe they will just unscrew first time.

Ok I've done a video of removal below. Just to add, I know my sensor has recently been removed but it was just as easy when I first did the job.

Reactions: gokiwi64
I've changed a few and none came out straight away, had to use the hot and cold method. If it's a newish car then maybe they will just unscrew first time.

I've probably changed a dozen O2 sensors over the years, many of which have been on my older high mileage cars and I've never once had to use the hot and cold method. I'm not saying it wont help matters but I've never needed to go down this route. Naturally the sensor gets hold and cold through normal use but with the right tools there is no reason it shouldn't come undone.

Plus I think gokiwi's main problem was finding the space to get enough leverage, not the sensor being seized up. Hopefully the video will help with this

Reactions: samuelh_888
Hi,

Thanks for the video :), absolutely nailed it with what you filmed. You make it look sooo easy.

We have tried absolutely everything (apart from heat) . I guess after 13 years they are well stuck, I am thinking of trying to use an air hammer to shock them loose, with plenty of plus gas.

I think S1 B1 is the passengers side one and by taking the airbox out it made it so much easier but its its still stuck.

More application of brute force required :), and maybe a flexi head extendable ratchet.

why brute force? better negotiate, sliding over ratchet hand an pipe as extension -> it will negotiate it with you.

I think S1 B1 is the passengers side one and by taking the airbox out it made it so much easier but its its still stuck.

Bank 1 sensor 1 is the drivers side mate, with the black plug if you follow the wire. Bank 2 is the brown plug

Frakenaudi has won !!,
So over the weekend I injured myself in a non car related way (chipped a bone in my right elbow) , this morning I thought I would have another go at undoing the correct sensor this time . Wow there is even less room !!, maybe 3-4 inches maximum.
So I have the correct removal tool but standard ratchet , Im not the smallest of people weighing in at a very tiny 18 stone , so laying across the inlet manifold was ummm an interesting experience (at least if nothing else I can demonstrate that the inlet manifold can support 18 stone !!).
Having watched "whodafunks" excellent video again I set to with new enthusiasm , with the socket properly in place (Im also a left hander - please don't burn me at a stake !!) and held down with my right hand I hauled mightily on the ratchet and promptly snapped the ratchet to socket adapter !!, quick change to 1/2 inch and try again , I could have sworn it moved ever so slightly , so surely it must break loose next time right .
Wrong the ratchet snapped back with so much force it jammed my little finger between it and the edge of the brakebooster, result blood everywhere and a broken little finger !!.

Down but not out ....this muthafatha ain't going to win, no way no how , it won the battle (this time but it hasn't won the ****** war !!!)

I admire your commitment mate. That sure must be on there tightly. Whatever you do try not to round off the nut on the sensor because you'll have little to no chance of removing it with mole grips when it's on that tightly.

Any chance you could let a garage undo it for you? Would only be 10 minutes labour.

My mates dad is a retired AA mechanic , he sill has all his kit so is coming round at the weekend. I'm hoping that with 40 years in the motor trade he has a few tricks up his sleeve . :)

Frakenaudi has won !!,
So over the weekend I injured myself in a non car related way (chipped a bone in my right elbow) , this morning I thought I would have another go at undoing the correct sensor this time . Wow there is even less room !!, maybe 3-4 inches maximum.
So I have the correct removal tool but standard ratchet , Im not the smallest of people weighing in at a very tiny 18 stone , so laying across the inlet manifold was ummm an interesting experience (at least if nothing else I can demonstrate that the inlet manifold can support 18 stone !!).
Having watched "whodafunks" excellent video again I set to with new enthusiasm , with the socket properly in place (Im also a left hander - please don't burn me at a stake !!) and held down with my right hand I hauled mightily on the ratchet and promptly snapped the ratchet to socket adapter !!, quick change to 1/2 inch and try again , I could have sworn it moved ever so slightly , so surely it must break loose next time right .
Wrong the ratchet snapped back with so much force it jammed my little finger between it and the edge of the brakebooster, result blood everywhere and a broken little finger !!.

Down but not out ....this muthafatha ain't going to win, no way no how , it won the battle (this time but it hasn't won the ****** war !!!)

Sounds like you've declared war on it :sm4: You'll be allright, you're a New Zeelander!

Fcuker may have maimed me, tried to kill me and generally racked me off................its a fcuking mechanical object, it ain't winning for yes I am a Kiwi.

try to turn it like you wanna tighten it up and then unscrew, so you should crack it in thhis way (I used it some times and quite always with success)

Get some brake cleaner and spray it around the nut (when it's cold) and try and get rid of as much crud as you can with a wire brush. Then try and get some WD40 in around the join between the sensor and the downpipe and give it a few minutes. You could even try tapping the nut at each side with a hammer to loosen up anything causing it to stick. Then get your socket and ratchet on it and give it some elbow

Get some brake cleaner and spray it around the nut (when it's cold) and try and get rid of as much crud as you can with a wire brush. Then try and get some WD40 in around the join between the sensor and the downpipe and give it a few minutes. You could even try tapping the nut at each side with a hammer to loosen up anything causing it to stick. Then get your socket and ratchet on it and give it some elbow
I know that normally the mechanics to loose the tension from bolts (locking nuts) on wheels they tapping on socket and then unscrewing them, but dunno if wouldn't (in worst case) damage the exhaust manifold bolts -> unsealing manifold.