O/T - Beware when buying a used Ross-Tech vcds cable

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
So today I emailed Ross tech asking for advice on how I can identify a genuine used Ross tech vcds cable to ensure I would not be contributing to the fraudsters at their expense. This is the reply I got which in my opinion devalues any used Ross tech vcds cable by a country mile! Enjoy....

Hi *****

If you will decide to buy a second-hand interface package you need to
know that our relationship remains with the original owner who paid us.
We do not extend that relationship to others who have not paid us
anything.If you email us for support, it will be denied. If you call
us, we will not assist you. If you want an upgrade at a later date, you
will not be entitled to one. We will not help with getting unit
repaired .To become our customer you need to pay us $99 and register the
transfer by going to this page: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VUDOT.html

You can read all about this in FAQ 3.10:
(http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.10)

So, do not pay more than price for original interface. It is not worth
more than that.

Also be careful, you can buy a illegal pirate version of VCDS from
another sites . The quality of that kind of tool will say for itself.
You can't receive from us any kind of help with it.

So the most cost-effective choice for you to buy the original VCDS
License with interface package.

You pay us once and you own it. After purchase you become our registered
customer and you can upgrade it later with discount from us.You can
email us for support and call us for assistance. Also we will help you
getting unit repaired.

You can receive full diagnostic information about your vehicle with our
tool and to keep the repair cost down.VCDS allows you to access all of
the diagnostics-capable modules in those vehicles including Airbags
(SRS), ABS Brakes, Instrument Cluster, etc. Also VCDS works with options
designed for vehicle.

Please see this page to order or let me know if you have additional
questions:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

If you have further questions, please contact us at your convenience.

Regards,

Reactions: THQuattro and GAS MONKEY
Some really poor grammar in there.
I thought that when I was reading it. Not what I would expect really.
Also quite aggressive in it's tone. I can see where there are coming from though as there are so many fake leads floating around .

Seriously though they should rethink this, I mean there is currently a "genuine" Ross-Tech used cable on eBay for £150. In theory (and I genuinely mean in theory, or I would have already purchased one within the 3 years of Audi ownership) why would I buy this if I get no help whatsoever from Ross-Tech when it's possible to buy one for a tenner with no help whatsoever from the scumbag fraudster selling it? As long as it works it's the same result, a cable that diagnoses etc, but has no backup from Ross tech. Yes I know a lot of the ripoff ones are ***** but I've seen 1st hand some non genuine ones that seem to work brilliantly. Obviously there is legality issues and before I get a load of abuse, please be aware I'm still not going to buy a ripoff one even after this. But I bet there are plenty that would!

I'll be sure to offer the guy on eBay £50 with this knowledge in hand. Sure he'll tell me to do one but you get my point

Reactions: GAS MONKEY
This was my response to that email. I'll let you know how/if they respond

Hi ****,
Wow, I'm not sure if it's your intention but you're making me feel like a criminal for trying to ensure I buy a genuine used Ross tech cable, thanks a bunch!
Im trying to ensure you guys don't get ripped off by doing my best to purchase a genuine used cable but seems you can't even help me with that?
Obviously you assume I'm a ******, why would I pay more for a used unit than I would for a brand new unit from you?
I'll be sure to pass on this valuable information on all the forums I'm a member of so people who buy your cables know that if they sell them (in good faith) the new owner can't get any kind of assistance from Ross-Tech whatsoever.
Kind regards

I bought a secondhand cable off a user on here. It doesn't bother me I have no support from Ross Tech as I can pretty much find anything I want myself off the net or figure it out for myself.

My second hand one came off here, I think the response is very poor

The response is very poor. But I thought everybody already knew this?

This is why I don't understand why people sell the cables for near enough price of a genuine when you have to change registration.

What they charge to change registration is quite excessive.

I have EDIS software for BMW and cable for 7 years, never needed to contact supplier for support

I got my VCDS off a member for £120 I think it was £120) genuine as he sold his Audi
Just think it's bad that they don't support the product

Ross tech make a lot of money on that software and cable, it's a cash cow for what they charge

The grammar of our reply could be improved... We'll work on that.

Ross-Tech makes a lot of money on that software and cable. It's a cash cow....

Really? I think I better find out where all that money goes. I should be allowed to have some. Fact is, it costs a lot of money to reverse engineer VAG stuff so that we can help a community of users do with their car what they would like to do. People who do this work need to be paid. Tools have to purchased and on and on and on. Might I point out, if this was so simple, why are there relatively few trying to do it? And why do most charge more? I am always amazed by such remarks. However I respect the right of the poster to express one's opinion.

As to our policy on 2nd hand purchases, since the day we were founded 20 years ago, we have only recognized the original owner as the licensed user, entitled to the support functions we provide. A unit can be sold and the new owner of the unit can purchase a transfer of the license to their name. If they choose not to do so, they can still use the tool but they do not receive the support a licensed user receives: vehicle specific tech support, product tech support and upgrades. Our statement has been in our FAQ for all of my 16 years of working here - nothing new in our policy. See FAQ 3.10 (https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.php#3.10)

The warning about the clones is out there so all know that these devices exist and the buyer should be wary of them. Can't count the number of problems people have had with them. Some of the problems damaged their control modules when random stuff happened during a diagnostic session. Buyer beware is what our Sales staff attempted to state.

If unsure about a purchase as to whether a unit is or is not a genuine unit, email Sales@Ross-Tech.com. We'll look it up and give you a true answer. We will not try to sell you. We respect the used unit market. Since we know and buy the cloned devices produced to date, you can know that we have the info by which we can tell you if the unit is a clone.

Sorry some found our email a bit coarse and accusatory. Forgive humans for making errors. We are not all perfect and those of us that work at Ross-Tech know we have far to go.

Thanks for reading my post,

Bruce
Director of Operations, Sales and Marketing
Ross-Tech, LLC

The reply is appreciated Bruce but it has taken over 3 years to reply, why so long?

Reactions: CHEZ
I do not view this particular sub-forum. I do check in to the VCDS forum from time to time. Had it been posted there, I probably would have seen it. This thread was pointed out to me by a member here.

Any can do the same if there is a post for which one is looking to have an answer....

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Honestly guys I bought 1 vcds Ross tech from an Ebay seller ,just around £45 about 1 year ago . Everything including cable and cd (,programs)! I did use quite a few times to scan my car and more from vag group. All working in perfect order ! Sooo

Old news this to be honest and I see Rosstech’s point of view. They’re not making any money from the sale of used cables.

Newer cables come with a VIN restriction so you invariably need to pay to unlock new VINs anyway.

Old news this to be honest and I see Rosstech’s point of view. They’re not making any money from the sale of used cables.

Newer cables come with a VIN restriction so you invariably need to pay to unlock new VINs anyway.
I didn't have to pay any penny so I can check any other engine from VAG group. Just the money when bought it!