Nutter?

Leenx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New member here. Guess I'm looking for some opinions! Cut a long story short. I am / have just traded in my 07 plate R32 + finance package in return for 58 plate Silver S3 with Sat Nav Plus. A beautiful car I think and let's face it - cosmeticly it does in my eyes stand leagues above it's Brother!

But! Have I done the right thing? Obviously I have driven it and love it, but most Pundits inc Clarkson, Evo, etc always seem to compare to the R32. Whilst they don't dislike the S3 they always reccomend going down the R32 route because it's cheaper and offers the 3.2 V6 which is supposedly better - certainly audibly anyway!
Also I have always lusted after a Porsche Boxster S and could probably just about afford an 06 plate with say 18k miles on the clock. Yes a different car but I guess what I'm asking for is am I mad trading in my R32 for an S3? Would a Porsche Boxster S be a better choice in terms of residual values and because it is I guess a different offering.
I guess it's a stupid question/s seeing as this is an Audi forum, but if anyone is interested in giving their pennys worth - would be much appreciated!

Cheers

I think you have done the right thing. S3 far more easy to tune than the R32 and you will get better performance.

Im sure loads of people on here who own S3 will soon persuade you too :)

R32's are a bit "chintzy" in mk5 guize, the mk4 still seems the better choice, nicer seats, bit lighter, less chrome! :thumbsup:

The S3 is much nicer all round, just as fast and if you get it chipped, much much faster and suffers from less understeer than its lardy brother

As for a Boxter? No idea, never driven one but they cant really be compared to an S3 to be honest. 2 seater cab sports car v fast family hatch?

Guy-s this is great - feeling much better already!!! Keep erm coming please!!!!:yahoo:

As LEE R said yeah the S3 is alot more tuneable.

I had a simliar argument as I was going to opt for a 3.2 V6 New shape TT but I chose my S3 over it.

Yes the V6 engine does sound alot better but on the other hand it is alot more costly to tune and petrol consumption aswell won't be too keen on your wallet.

The S3 although is only a 2.0T pulls out 265BHP from it once re-mapped the gains are alot better than any gains you will probably expect on a 3.2L

s3 miles better, the main reason why id choose the 3.2 over s3 would be for the noise, but for day to day driving and for track/fast road driving, s3 every time, as people say, wack a nice milltek on it, new filter, chip it, n you will be quicker than near enough any car!!!!!

As LEE R said yeah the S3 is alot more tuneable.

I had a simliar argument as I was going to opt for a 3.2 V6 New shape TT but I chose my S3 over it.

Yes the V6 engine does sound alot better but on the other hand it is alot more costly to tune and petrol consumption aswell won't be too keen on your wallet.

The S3 although is only a 2.0T pulls out 265BHP from it once re-mapped the gains are alot better than any gains you will probably expect on a 3.2L

Hi - What made you choose the S3 over the 3.2 V6 TT? What do you think of the TTS?

s3 miles better, the main reason why id choose the 3.2 over s3 would be for the noise, but for day to day driving and for track/fast road driving, s3 every time, as people say, wack a nice milltek on it, new filter, chip it, n you will be quicker than near enough any car!!!!!

Lol - Tell me more!! How much would this set me back?

For a full Miltek, CAI and remap I doubt you would get much change out of 2K, especially when you also change the DV and fuel pump.....once on this slippery slop there's no turning back LOL

Cheers guys for your help and advice so far - I'm gonna be broke though for some time now so mods will have to be put on the back burner for now!

How about this new A3 which is supposedly coming out - is it next year? will this comprimise our residual values?

All you need to destroy any Porsche Boxster S or R32 is:

Milltek TBE - £1,100
Forge CAI - £300
Remap (Revo or GIAC) - £500

If you want to go up a rung and start knocking out 911s and M3s you then need:

HPFP - £500
Stage 2+ remap - £100
Sachs clutch - £1,000

You don't need a DV. All in - around £3,600 and you will have a car that will beat most things on the road. I know - I have one !

S3 = MORE TUNEABLE, MORE PRACTICAL

Thats why I chose it over the TT 3.2

I'd rather buy a new M3 then fork out 35k for a TTS.

Cheers guys for your help and advice so far - I'm gonna be broke though for some time now so mods will have to be put on the back burner for now!

How about this new A3 which is supposedly coming out - is it next year? will this comprimise our residual values?

I dont think you will see the new A3 till early 2011 then new S3 some time after that, so I wouldnt have thought resudiuals are going to be effected for a while yet.

Your on an Audi forum asking what is better.. VW R32 or AUDI S3...
Erm.....

Before the responses even started i could of told you what the everyone would say..

Go to a VW R32 forum and ask there...
Im impartial but i prefer the look of the S3 but apparently the R32 is better on the track and drives better. If you want to look good and have a fast car then S3 will be better, if you want to look like a hairdresser and have a fast car then the Boxter will be better.
If you want to look like your a boy racer is a suped up Golf and be in a fast car then the R32 is your man.

My opinions only ill add. :blahblah1:

Just found out it's gonna take a week before I collect due to DVLA admin changing over my private plate! Grghhh!!!!!!:rulez:

Just contacted Creative FX for a quote on full stone-guard. Not a bad price to be fair. Have any of you lot splashed the cash on this?

thats the protective film isnt it? i personally its really good, sometimes the only cover half the bonnet but id want the whole bonnet, roof, front wings, bumper n mirrors covered, some places can do the whole car which would be very good.

I've come from a Mk4 HPA turbo R32 with all the bits!
The S3 is very similar in many ways, but the build quality is far superior and I like the looks of the S3. The handling is also much better, even in standard formS3.
The R32 IMO was turning into a bit of a chav car (flame me.....) It's all bling rims etc, and not really my scene anymore.
The S3 has good power, has the looks and everything I needed. Yeah I lost the V6, but I now think stuff the V6, the crappy 4 pot turbo sounds just as good with the Milltek/forge treatment! :whistle2:

If its like armourfend it's very dependant on who fits it.....

I would tend to leave it without and get the nose blown in well every time the chips upset you....

Cheers again guys - Feeling much more optimistic again! Gotta leave shortly to drop off paper work etc but plan to be on-line over weekend - might try and post up some pics of my new baby!!

Between R32 and S3 the latter gets my vote due to tuneability and handling, S3 Versus Cayman S now thats a difficult one especially if you dont need the extra space afforded by the S3.

In terms of outright pace I think a remapped S3 will win through but in terms of image, desireability if we are honest most of us would like a Porsche of some kind and the Cayman S is pretty good (yes I have driven one extensively).

The S3 is a great all round package so it just edges it over the Cayman.

Ref protective film, this is excellent if fitted correctly but really can't see the point unless you plan on keeping the car numerous years and cover extensive M-way miles.

Welcome BTW

Hello Leenx
have you tried asking the same question on www.r32oc.com ?
think your responses on here might be slightly biased :undwech:

of course we and they will be biased, your best of going onto seatcupra and see what they have to say. if i was given the choice between an s3 or a r32, id have the s3, cos its the classy hatchback, the r32 is lovely, but i always see young people driving them n its nothing special cos they are common, also the 3.2 was only an after thought for vw whereas the s3 had been massively planned.

i like the r32 in black but i hate the damn lights front and back s3 is alot more serious and grown up and classy imho .... so i think you have done right mate

Between R32 and S3 the latter gets my vote due to tuneability and handling, S3 Versus Cayman S now thats a difficult one especially if you dont need the extra space afforded by the S3.

In terms of outright pace I think a remapped S3 will win through but in terms of image, desireability if we are honest most of us would like a Porsche of some kind and the Cayman S is pretty good (yes I have driven one extensively).

The S3 is a great all round package so it just edges it over the Cayman.

Ref protective film, this is excellent if fitted correctly but really can't see the point unless you plan on keeping the car numerous years and cover extensive M-way miles.

Welcome BTW

Spot on Spin.
Nice summary of whats been said in numerous posts already.
Ok, maybe slightly biased, but the sub forum title gives that away.:icon_thumright:

I considered , R32, Bosxter S, E46M3 and loads of other stuff, and after all things considered and 15months of ownership I still reckon I bought the right car for me.
Boxes ticked.

( This post feels a bit feels a bit `groundhog` but it is Friday and I am doing my best to empty the fridge of its supply of booze:sm4:)

Enjoy your new toy (OP)!

:s3addict:

cheers
Paul

:Flame suit on:

Without venturing into the Porsche element of your question. I have to say that I am a little dissappointed with the OEM S3 package. I had the R32 on my short list after getting out of a 335M, but eventually went for a S3 (after much deliberation). Would you believe one of my final deciding factors was the better fuel economy (how ironic)!

But having lived with it for 6 months I am having doubts. It has little or no engine character, steering is lifeless and - dare is say it - I hate the FBMFSW. Performance and looks are great, but I struggle to think what else I REALLY love about it.

In short: It seems that you have to 'aftermarket it' to get something with some soul.

I now understand why given its performance and relative ability, none* of the magazines I read, ever have championed its cause.

:Flame suit off:

*To my knowledge.

SO, the S3 is a, pretty, solid, quick , safe, allrounder, with 4 sets and humble underpinnings, which the motoring press are indifferent about and think is expensive,etc.etc...

Similar conclusion, different thread, and an absence of relevations.
With respect of course.:)

Needs a remap though.:icon_thumright:

Cheers
Paul

With Respect.

I missed the clause which mandates a revelation per post.

You clearly love your car and I am happy for you. BUT, the OP was asking for OUR thoughts: those are mine.

Now, have you emptied that fridge yet? :beerchug:

:Flame suit on:

Without venturing into the Porsche element of your question. I have to say that I am a little dissappointed with the OEM S3 package. I had the R32 on my short list after getting out of a 335M, but eventually went for a S3 (after much deliberation). Would you believe one of my final deciding factors was the better fuel economy (how ironic)!

But having lived with it for 6 months I am having doubts. It has little or no engine character, steering is lifeless and - dare is say it - I hate the FBMFSW. Performance and looks are great, but I struggle to think what else I REALLY love about it.

In short: It seems that you have to 'aftermarket it' to get something with some soul.

I now understand why given its performance and relative ability, none* of the magazines I read, ever have championed its cause.

:Flame suit off:

*To my knowledge.

Should have keep the 335 :undwech:

I'd have the 335i over the S3 if coupe versus 3 door, fuel consumption is probably no worse, the 2.0T is not particularly good mpg wise whereas the BMW engines do offer what they claim.

I dont like the 335 in 4 door format so in this scenario the S3 would get the vote.

The thread was/is S3 V R32 though so irrelevant, what am I waffling on about ?!? LOL

I'd have the 335i over the S3 if coupe versus 3 door, fuel consumption is probably no worse, the 2.0T is not particularly good mpg wise whereas the BMW engines do offer what they claim.

I dont like the 335 in 4 door format so in this scenario the S3 would get the vote.

The thread was/is S3 V R32 though so irrelevant, what am I waffling on about ?!? LOL

Hi mate - Just read your post and saw you have the same colour S3 as the one I'll have shortly hopefully!:yes:

How can anyone dislike the Flatbottom wheel? I find it incomprehensible, unfathomable & unimaginable!

How can anyone dislike the Flatbottom wheel? I find it incomprehensible, unfathomable & unimaginable!

Perhaps it reminds some people of the original Austin Allegro, which had flat topped and flap bottomed steering wheel, but only for a short while because everyone hated it so much.

But I would assume you were probably still in nappies then!!

I think maybe some police advanced drivers would probably be not over keen on it because the are taught to drive feeding the wheel through there hands and a round steering wheel is much better for that.

Each to his own - it does look nice though!!

I was in nappies when the Allegro was current :yum: but I have heard of the "quartic" horror...

I've driven other cars with flat bottom steering wheels and they just don't work for me. Me, no likey :meeting:

I think maybe some police advanced drivers would probably be not over keen on it because the are taught to drive feeding the wheel through there hands and a round steering wheel is much better for that.
:whistle2:

Guys, I'm still at work, so I will have to be brief.

I would just like to bring some clarity to my post before I am sent to 'Munich' completely.

The point I was trying to make to the OP was that stepping out of a six (of what ever variation or marque) into a four pot, may leave him feeling it lacks some character.

I don't hate my S3 (honestly), but I am a little let down by it as I had my eyes on one for a while. Before it is asked, I did research/test drive extensively, but I believe it takes a while before you can fully appreciate the pros/cons of a car - hence I have given it six months before bleating.

I will however perservere and intend to 'zorst' it and CAI, with a view to re-mapping when funds allow. As I said, it is a great looking car, it grips like s*** to a hairy blanket and is rapid enough for the UK (well, maybe..).

With regards to the FBSW: it does look great I agree, but I fail to see what advantage it gives and subjectively it doesn't work for me. But I can appreciate why others may wax about it.

Must dash, but I hope that negates any horse heads in the post. :salute:

Stepping out of a rear-wheel drive six into something else, say something less six-cylindery and more 'some drive also going through the steering end' sort of thing, is going to be a step down in terms of feel and driving flavour altogether.

Um, I'm sending myself to munich :whistle2:

But if you like the noise of the R32, why dont you get a 8P 3.2 S-line i have seen these go for about 7k with 50,000 miles on and spend 2 grand to get it turbo'd / supercharged and that will be about 400hp with 4 wheel drive