Nurburgring Trip 2008?

Very odd mrsteve - I'd be suspicious tbh.

Regardless, even if you're covered they're not going to pay out for damage to the track, which could be considerable. I'd also be highly dubious of them paying out if you happened to crash and write off someone's Carerra GT for example.

hi
me and a friend are planning a trip there this year and would love to come along and meet all you guys on here, but sadly i have a 18t cab and he has a seat leon 225 bhp but we both want to take the bikes ( GSXR 1000 K5 180 BHP AT THE REAR WHEEL & A TRICKED UP ZX10-R ) instead as my car isnt really suitable,( to dam heavy ).
at least then we could sea how fast your cars really are !!!!!
is anyone against it ?
lea

would it be a meet up in the uk and ride/drive together or a case of meet there,just i go to alot of races overseas and we go in a pack on the bikes and have as much fun getting there and back as we do when we are there,so theres no reason it couldnt be the same for the cars and bikes.
might be a laugh as long as no one gets nicked.
just a thought.........

hummm, spoke to kwikfit (my insurers) today, they have said they 'think' it is covered but they are sending me 'THE BOOK' which im guessing will have the ring as an exclusion (as someone mentioned earlier in the post)

Just couldnt bring myself to take a car worth over 20k on the ring without insurance of some form... still be up for going tho and my m8 has a 1.8t 8L shape which im sure i could get insured on :)

Id be worried some asbo driving a burnt out nova would write both his an my car off and run into the distance!

Couldnt possibly be covered as if i did hit a carrera gt which i might do if i see one an go into a trance then kwikfit would have to close up shop and skip the country ;)

i have purchased the most recent topgear magazine, partly for the calendar and partly to look at track cover...

The people with carrera gt's must be covered to a degree ( tho prolly have more money to pay for it :) )

I will do some sifting and let you know.

mrsteve :detective2:

With regard to insurance, there have been loads of arguments about this in the bike world.
Basically, most policies will cover you for trackday use, as it is not classed as competition/sport/time trials.
You can, of course, take out specific track day insurance, but in my experience it's expensive and will only cover you for a complete write-off.

Hi guys,I'm in Afghan. Good to see there are more people interested. I've managed to reel plenty more in from my end too. Looks to be a big bash!

bowfer said:
I didn't know you were allowed mopeds?

You're allowed to take anything on the track as long as it's road legal. So trucks and buses can go, and have done.

I was talking about bikes though. There're too many bends for them to go superfast so you end up overtaking lots of them.

im hoping theres plenty of fast bends aswell and surely fast straights to pull it back.
2007-05-26_11_39_12.JPG

People said it used to be covered as the ring is classed as an un-restricted one-way toll road!

Apparently some policies now have clauses to specifically exclude it though.

Guys, regardless of what your policy or insurer states, if you end up with a huge bill and they find out you were on the Nordschleife, expect to have a lot of trouble making them pay up. Face it, they'll use every trick they can to avoid big payouts and the 'ring is a hell of an excuse.

You could get lucky but it's best to assume you're not insured and drive accordingly.

Bear in mind that this only applies to fully comp insurance. All cars on the 'ring must be road legal and insured at least third-party and there's little dispute that insurers cannot shirk their legal third-party obligations. Thus, in the event of you destroying someone else's expensive car, the insurance should cover you for that fine, you will probably just have trouble getting a payout for your car and/or track damage, my earlier comments about Carrera GTs notwithstanding :)

This is a key difference between normal trackdays and the 'ring. Proper trackday insurance for a private circuit has no "third-party" aspect - in the even of an accident each party claims for their own damage off their own insurance. On the 'ring, third-party rules apply and thus it can become important to apportion the blame. For this reason the police are often called when drivers are disputing the cause of an accident, which will lead to a track closure and serious expense to the responsible party.

No worries - I've been three times now so I've got a fair understanding of how things work. Definitely worth going and tbh don't let the insurance issues put you off - just don't drive like a complete tit and you'll be fine.

Does anyone know if there is any noise restriction at the ring as my bike is very loud.
do you need to take all your documents then to get on.
and last of all, do they check tyres,as some of mine have been known to have " not for road use " on them.
this is easily corrected but if im going to be against quick cars around slow bends then ill need all the grip i can get.

Just one more thing, sorry to hog.
do you all go as you arrive or do they put you in groups of ability.
on track days i do they run 3 groups
1 novice
2 intermediate
3 advanced

it helps prevent all bunching up behind a slow rider/driver and helps prevent accidents
its not a bad system.

cheers lea

nice houses also come with nice mortgages N8KOW thats why i havent got the new shape cab yet, ha ha ha .
but thankyou.
lea

On the insurance issue, when I went in May I phoned my insurer and said that I would be driving on the Nurburgring etc, etc,,, after a short wait the reply came back that I would be covered, at no extra cost......... That was the AA

As the conversation was recorded on the office telephone system I suspect they would have been hard pressed to wriggle out of it,,,,,,,,, if I'd crashed..!!!

Hi guys, had 5 mins of my 30 free so thought I'd drop in.

1wheelonly said:
Does anyone know if there is any noise restriction at the ring as my bike is very loud.
do you need to take all your documents then to get on.
and last of all, do they check tyres,as some of mine have been known to have " not for road use " on them.
this is easily corrected but if im going to be against quick cars around slow bends then ill need all the grip i can get.

Yes there is a noise restriction. They have a Db meter there if they think it may be too loud. Can't remember the level though. One lad in a mini who we met wasn't allowed on and had to go to a garage to get it sorted. He came back an hour later having not done a thing and they let him on!

No docs check.

No tyre check either. I think track tyres would be allowed anyway!

Just one more thing, sorry to hog.
do you all go as you arrive or do they put you in groups of ability.

No groups, you turn up at the barrier and then drive on! It's just like going through a toll booth. It's pretty surreal.

thanks for that staz1000.
i suppose the most they would do is sell me a baffle to use.
good news about the tyres though.
whats an average lap time do you know and can you get fuel locally as my bike drinks it and all you boys will have your sat navs to get about as ill have to depend on my pigeon instinct.
cheers again lea

1wheelonly said:
whats an average lap time do you know and can you get fuel locally as my bike drinks it and all you boys will have your sat navs to get about as ill have to depend on my pigeon instinct.
cheers again lea

Last post for a few weeks.

I put a post on here about lap times earlier. No time to find it right now. I'm sure there'll be a site out there somewhere with some good info.

There's an Aral petrol station in Adenau we normally use. Adenau is very easy to find once you've been shown it once. Out of the ring area, right at the roundabout, left at the end, follow for a few miles of bendy roands until a T junction. Turn right then the garage is on the right. That easy!

Hi Guys,

Just found this thread and thought I would try to help out a little.

I am a regular to the Ring, been 8 times this year!

I post a lot on a Forum dedicated to the Ring where we have lots of useful information. I will post a link at the end.

There are some basics that everyone needs to be aware of and some good advice to at least think about.

In no particular order:

Car - has to be fully road legal, this includes tyres which can be road legal track tyres eg Toyo R888's but not racing tyres.
You can have fun in any car there!!

Noise limits - yes there are, 98dB IIRC, and they are testing more, mainly if you are revving the engine to bits in the car park you may not get on.

Documents - getting more complicated. In Germany you must cary all relevant docs with you, V5, drivers licence and INSURANCE. Most insurance companies have excluded the Nurburgring in the last 12 months. If they have and you have and accident you could be in trouble both finacially and legally with the German Police.
You CAN get one day insurance for the Ring for £60.
Cary all your docs at all times with you.

Timing - DON'T do it on your first trip!! Go there and enjoy the track its fantastic but if you go chasing times you may regret it. It is 12 miles long with a lot of corners and blind crests. It takes 25+ laps just to get an idea of where the road goes, 1000's more to learn it.
If you are caught timing you can get banned, be warned.

Filming/ Photos - You are not allowed to video or take photos officially but it does go on. If you are caught, you can get banned be warned.

Out on Track - overtake on the left, keep right if you are slower than others. Accept that you will be SLOWER than someone out there - there is always a bigger fish, even if it is a Golf Mark I GTi.
Check your mirrors regularly.

These are just a few pointers.
Happy to answer any more specific questions if anyone wants info.

I know Mav who runs The Nurburgring Experience and he is a top guy.

Also I would recommend Darren from www.RingWeekends.co.uk for a guide, tell him Ian Howell sent you.

If I am out there at the same time, I would be more than happy to help with advice and / or take people out for a passenger lap.

Ian

www.northloop.co.uk

ianhowell said:
You CAN get one day insurance for the Ring for £60.

Hiya, have you any more info on the insurance, a link and what it covers would be much appreciated.

Looking at doing the Ring with a couple of mates next year although one of them is looking for a new car after writing off his RS6 !

Thanks

Kris said:
Hiya, have you any more info on the insurance, a link and what it covers would be much appreciated.

Looking at doing the Ring with a couple of mates next year although one of them is looking for a new car after writing off his RS6 !

Thanks

Sorry for the delay...

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/ do the £60 per day cover.

Ian