Nurburgring Trip 2008?

we all think were rally drivers because we got amongst the best (if not the best) infrastructure in europe, so we can speed about on the roads.....thanks to our civil engineers :D

N8KOW said:
Every1 is different I suppose, I'll be keeping an eye on lap times to see how good people's driving skills are!!! Is that track open 7 days a week? We'll be going on a friday and coming back monday so I expect we'll be going on it saturday and sunday!!! But yeah you're right, an A3 s-line with coilovers will handle superbly though :icon_thumright:
It is 7 days but when there are events on it's not. For example we went on a saturday and up until 1600 was the BFGoodrich event. It was great to watch that though. Civic type-rs, Beemers, a couple of S3s, LOADS of Porsches, Lamborghinis, Astons, Vipers too many to name. The sound of the things was incredible. Especially a 911 doing 180mph about 5 metres away from you.

Then from 16-1800 we got a few laps in before it closed. The next day it was open as usual.

The opening timings are always listed on the ring website though here.

Your motor will handle a lot better yeah lol

lol well we did plan to take one of the abandoned cars from our camp and I got hold a 2.0 Petrol audi 80 avant. It was in pretty good nick once I was done with it and then someone offered me money so I sold it.

There was also a 3.0 V6 406 but someone got to it first.

When I was in camp last week all the many cars had been scrapped finally. The only one left was a wrecked volvo v40 t5.

You never know we may still get hold of one that anyone can drive! You don't have to worry so much about crashing then :icon_thumright:

Yeh good point. The main reason why I want loads of cars to go with me is so different people can get experience of different cars...

Lap timings shouldnt require a buddy on the fence next year staz, if you take the s3 round it has its own lap counter in the DIS ;)

i will look into insurance and green card. I have 3 friends who would also like to join convoy, in a a3 1.8t and 2x 2.0t saabs.

mrsteve said:
Lap timings shouldnt require a buddy on the fence next year staz, if you take the s3 round it has its own lap counter in the DIS ;)

I know but I'll still probably forget lol

i will look into insurance and green card. I have 3 friends who would also like to join convoy, in a a3 1.8t and 2x 2.0t saabs.

I know UK car insurances normally give a 30 day green car without a problem. Not sure how much though.

With regards to track insurance I just found this: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.html

I'd like to go, (if i've still got the S4) went last year with the EVO club. It's great fun, but you really do need to show the circuit maximum respect!!

I agree the Brits seem to take all the honours for being total knobs,,,, but it's the bikers you've got to watch out for......... Only the rain keeps the buggers at bay!!

Just Plain Old said:
but it's the bikers you've got to watch out for

That's true, they don't like letting you pass do they!?

so is the plan

27th leave for the port, spend 12 hours on a ferry
28th drive there, arrive and go on ring?
29th do some sight seeing and journey home, i might stay longer but would be interested in the convoy and lapping the ring at the same point...

Interesting about the insurance but taking a car worth over 20k on there without any, well... i wont do it but then i can afford 250+ for a day, so even if the excess is 5k id rather that than no car...

right i think ill get the misses onto the rest of the organisation for this.

ta

mrsteve said:
so is the plan

27th leave for the port, spend 12 hours on a ferry
28th drive there, arrive and go on ring?
29th do some sight seeing and journey home, i might stay longer but would be interested in the convoy and lapping the ring at the same point...

You may aswell get the friday and monday off and get a longer time otherwise it's just a mad rush and you'll have no time to enjoy it.

Indeed Staz, indeed. £300 for the trip with the guy is good to me though, thats what its about, having a fully qualified mechanic on site - *PEACE OF MIND*

n8kow, one of my lot is also a qualified mechanic who always has a boot full of tools to hand, odd man, looks like he should of been born a dwarf but quite handy :)

Should be a laugh,

N8KOW said:
*PEACE OF MIND*

Again mate completely your choice but in my opinion Audis are designed for cruising across europe with no problems.

Plus if the guy can't fix it, which most faults on modern cars can't be at the side of the road, you'll end up paying out anyway. I'd recommend getting the Europe cover with RAC or otherwise and any problems and ADAC will come out without charge and sort you out.

i need to get my car lowered, its handlng is ***** it strugggles doin roundaabouts at 60, thank god for Electronic stability

staz1000 said:
Again mate completely your choice but in my opinion Audis are designed for cruising across europe with no problems.

Plus if the guy can't fix it, which most faults on modern cars can't be at the side of the road, you'll end up paying out anyway. I'd recommend getting the Europe cover with RAC or otherwise and any problems and ADAC will come out without charge and sort you out.

Its not just audis going staz, but I know what you're saying :icon_thumright:

I'll add a few things, I went over for the first time earlier in the year, was a great laugh. I personally wouldn't stay anywhere other then the Am Tiergarden it was cheap and had a great bar / resturant (it's sabines family's hotel).

If you try and set a timed lap first time out in fact at all, I suspect you will be coming back in something other than your own car. You should / will spend most of the laps being more concerned about that nut case german in a Mk1 golf that IS coming past you or the swarm of bikers that are trying to kill themselves. Two died the weekend I was there, the track was closed each of the three days it was open to the public due to nasty accidents.

Be careful, there are some nasty corners, I've done the track on my xbox a few times (not a lot) but it doesn't prepare you for how steep some of the hills are or how nasty some of the cambers are. I nearly binned my car when I *thought* I knew what the corner coming up was next and clearly didn't.

Funniest memory for me, the typical brit abroad type with his EVO FQ turbo nutty wagon that has been driving like a **** around the car park / on the way in... first lap five miles in, who's stuffed there car into the barrier. :lmfao:

Oh and as for the people saying you will get insurance, good luck, if you can find someone that will cover you fully at the ring you'll be paying upwards of £500 a day I'd think from when we looked into it briefly. The only person on our trip that was insured was covered by his trade insurance.

Nathan,

Don't forget mate, you'll get 3 years full European 'Audi-Assist' breakdown cover with the car.. :icon_thumright:

As for insurance, most UK brokers now don't do the whole green card sytem anymore, just inform your insurer as to the dates you are out of the country and which countries you are visiting and take your policy statement with you, mine don't even charge any extra :icon_thumright:

g_t_q gives some good advice there however there're plenty of other hotels about and all do the whole family run etc thing so I wouldn't worry where you end up.

Also about the timing, the best way really is to do your lap and time it out of interest, but don't bother doing the whole trying to beat your time thing. I was overtaken by plenty of Mk1 golfs and polos, you just have to accept it and don't try and race them.

"You should / will spend most of the laps being more concerned about that nut case german in a Mk1 golf that IS coming past you or the swarm of bikers that are trying to kill themselves. Two died the weekend I was there, the track was closed each of the three days it was open to the public due to nasty accidents."

saying things like that dont do anyone any favours!!and seriously life/death shouldnt come into the question...its only abit of fun guys. if there is any looney's on the track when i arrive, my car wont be going aywhere near it likewise about the insurance.

i will personally make insurance a compulsory pre-requisit otherwise british roads it is!

if i was in a mk1 golf or polo i would be a looney on the track, because they aint worth nout, and if youve got nothng to lose, skyies the limit. fortunately i got a family to come back home to, so some lines i cannot cross

fesss_84 said:
saying things like that dont do anyone any favours!!and seriously life/death shouldnt come into the question...its only abit of fun guys. if there is any looney's on the track when i arrive, my car wont be going aywhere near it likewise about the insurance.

i will personally make insurance a compulsory pre-requisit otherwise british roads it is!

It does do people favours for sure! I remember the first time a ****** looking polo came past me. I was not going to let him beat me, I tried to catch up but had no chance. I may have pushed it too far too soon and gone off, just because I didn't want to swallow my pride. I have since learned not to let it worry me and just enjoy myself. I hope anyone here who hasn't done any track racing whatsoever will take heed of the advice given by all and we may save someone some money and/or pain.

There will be loonys and they come in all guises. They may be in a fiesta or a Porsche 911. You won't know though. Best advice is just steer clear of everyone on the track. If someone comes up your **** flashing their lights then move over and let them through. It may spoil your time but who cares? There's a crash and yellow flag on nearly every lap you do anyway so you'll never get an accurate time.

fesss_84 said:
if i was in a mk1 golf or polo i would be a looney on the track, because they aint worth nout, and if youve got nothng to lose, skyies the limit. fortunately i got a family to come back home to, so some lines i cannot cross

I think you're missing the point, there will also be the vipers or the ring taxi that will over take you, on the day I spent there a friend also did some very rapid laps in his 6.0 Diablo, there were a collection on TVRs oh and a C6 Z06 (with 580BHP) and while I think about it a 600+bhp supra, none of these were worth "nout" and they were going much quicker than you will and they won't appritiate being held up.

I also met a british chap that knew the place quite well, he was embrassing a lot of people and some much more expensive cars in his remapped 120d, purely because he knew the way. I don't know about you, but I'm not comfortable going flat out over a blind crest when I'm not 100% sure that there's not a 90 degree sharp left just after.

Also I doesn't matter what's there when you start your lap, I expect for your first lap there will be people going at least twice as fast as you, so they could probably start 5 mins later and still over take you. Just like on any road, you go to fast for the conditions / corner and there is a chance of an accident. Seriously, if you go, don't be ***** (this isn't aimed at anyone), expect to get overtaken by everyone and everything, and don't get in peoples way, it's fun even if you don't know how fast your going (I don't know or care).

When I finally got a lap with very little traffic the place is amazing, totally amazing and when you get to realise what is coming up it's great getting some corners right it's even better.

If I can make it I'd love to come along, however I'm already planning some trips that might clash, Morocco anyone? :icon_thumright:

fesss_84 said:
if i was in a mk1 golf or polo i would be a looney on the track, because they aint worth nout

In that case I'm staying well away from you.

god_thats_quick said:
I think you're missing the point, there will also be the vipers or the ring taxi that will over take you, on the day I spent there a friend also did some very rapid laps in his 6.0 Diablo, there were a collection on TVRs oh and a C6 Z06 (with 580BHP) and while I think about it a 600+bhp supra, none of these were worth "nout" and they were going much quicker than you will and they won't appritiate being held up.

I also met a british chap that knew the place quite well, he was embrassing a lot of people and some much more expensive cars in his remapped 120d, purely because he knew the way. I don't know about you, but I'm not comfortable going flat out over a blind crest when I'm not 100% sure that there's not a 90 degree sharp left just after.

Also I doesn't matter what's there when you start your lap, I expect for your first lap there will be people going at least twice as fast as you, so they could probably start 5 mins later and still over take you. Just like on any road, you go to fast for the conditions / corner and there is a chance of an accident. Seriously, if you go, don't be ***** (this isn't aimed at anyone), expect to get overtaken by everyone and everything, and don't get in peoples way, it's fun even if you don't know how fast your going (I don't know or care).

When I finally got a lap with very little traffic the place is amazing, totally amazing and when you get to realise what is coming up it's great getting some corners right it's even better.

If I can make it I'd love to come along, however I'm already planning some trips that might clash, Morocco anyone? :icon_thumright:

Well said....Bravo :applaus:

N8KOW said:
haha - whens the bm coming?

It's here, but we don't want to pay two leases until nearer the end of Jan.
So the BMW garage has agreed to just keep it until they run out of room.
I'm hoping they run out of room soon, or something goes terminal with mine.
Driving my A3 is currently like having sex with an ugly wife, knowing your gorgeous mistress is waiting...

staz1000 said:
Yeah can't wait to take it around the track. Don't think I'll put the 'ring sticker on the back of this one though. I put it on my A3 as you can see on my avatar then a few months later in my home town I saw this:
You want to get something more subtle. I have a simple, small white outline in the rear corner of my offside back window. Only those in the know would have a clue what it is.
Many people say you are covered by insurance anyway because it is classed as a toll road. Most insurance companies therefore state that you cannot drive on the Nurburgring by name. You can get insurance to cover you while you're there but the excesses are HUGE (5000 euro we were quoted) and they cost a lot in the first place (300 euros for 1 day).
Didn't realise anyone would cover you at all - who was that with?

As for regular insurance - forget it. Even if they don't exclude the track by name, all policies have clauses about "racing", "rallying" and "time-trials" and you'd have a hard time proving you were doing neither. The insurers will simply refuse to pay out and dare you to take them to court. Just assume you're uninsured and drive accordingly.

lol staz, dont worry mate......ill try and control my car around those bends. im crazy but i aint stupid ;)

i spoke to my insurers today, advised them i would be travelling through uk/france/belgium/germany and specifically going around the nurburgring, and they have advised me that the amendments have been made to my policy and all is fine,

so,

i wrote back to them and said are you sure because usually its £300+ per day with silly excess, advised them it is basically a track and they have said yes not a problem...

so

ive written again and asked for it to be passed to a manager.

bizarre...

when i say amendments to my policy, the amount has not gone up at all...

Steve