Nurburg Ring

neversaydie

Post Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.nsdcreations.co.uk
Wanna see who would be up for a trip up to the ring? See how many ppl we could get to organise a convoy of as.net members - I really think it is about time we all got to meet each other properly and what more that a dedicated trip to a uber place?

So what ya say?

Opinions please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My opinion would be... YES!

I don't think the open day dates have been released for this year yet, but if you can plan a date far enough in advance it gives everybody a good chance to get things organised - be wary of the world cup dates though!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Wanna see who would be up for a trip up to the ring? See how many ppl we could get to organise a convoy of as.net members - I really think it is about time we all got to meet each other properly and what more that a dedicated trip to a uber place?

So what ya say?

Opinions please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool idea, the guy that changed my headlights over a couple of months ago owns an S2 with lots of kit added to it, hes done 60+ laps and knows the track pretty well, he's always trying to get me to go with him but work was always getting in the way and now sadly Im in Iraq but back in Germany for a couple of weeks in April then back home in May for the World Cup.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

er I may be persuaded if someone where to say "hey Eric fancy a trip to the 'ring" or something like that. Perhapes we should get some dates, i think they will be published in Feb.

I`m quite interested but need to look into the costs of running down there... some people think its about 600 quid for a visit (night over, fuel, ferry, etc..) anyone got any ideas on costs?

Might be too expensive, although I really am quite for it..

[ QUOTE ]
er I may be persuaded if someone where to say "hey Eric fancy a trip to the 'ring" or something like that. Perhapes we should get some dates, i think they will be published in Feb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan to me... just need to look at dates when they're published and see what your availability is like!

Kev.

er hey you village idiot nobody said anything about a BMW, especially the way you drive it. seriously you're welcome to come along in a real car, ha the jokes eh, they just keep on comin'. Have you had the car chipped yet?
It would be fantastic to get together with a group over ther the place is AMAZING.
As for costs, I cant recall I think when Kev and I went over we must have spent £300 each max but then we split petrol, hotels etc so if you are planning a trip on your own it could be as much as £500-£600.
Kev am I right or have i made a mistake, it was a while ago now.

Pah, BMW comments just rebound of the superior in quality car that is a BMW as opposed to an Audi...(S3 at that - old/ancient/dinosuar technology?) Yeah its chipped up and rdy to have some payback on your imola S3 on some german soil lol!

Yeah cool I'll be up for this - just like you lads say some heads up/prior warning to get $$ together and then we are a goer.

Eric, Kev, :) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As for costs, I cant recall I think when Kev and I went over we must have spent £300 each max but then we split petrol, hotels etc so if you are planning a trip on your own it could be as much as £500-£600.
Kev am I right or have i made a mistake, it was a while ago now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember exactly but that does not sound far off - you've got to remember though NSD has a diesel so his fuel costs will be less than ours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We averaged less than 10mpg per lap!

Costs will be crossing (shame I can't get my EuroTunnel discount anymore), 600 mile round trip (2 tanks of fuel for us, 1 for you), hotel/B&B cost and however many laps you want to purchase and the fuel.

As soon as we know some dates I'll put some accurate costs together.

I have a colleague at work who has just purchased an M3 who is very keen to join us if the dates suit and you lads don't mind?

Kev.

not more Beemers, we'll be over run (but not overtaken!). Now I've said that does anybody know where I can get titanium Pistion liners, a couple of Garrett turbos, stiffer ARBs and new shocks? Jame's isn't the problem it's that M3 I am thinking off.
Kev you remember who the real nutters where around the circuit, not the RX7's (although his idea that winding the hourse power down to 550BHP because it was damp did worry me a little), not the professional looking Skyline group with rows of slicks and not even the group of English lads in Elises - No it was all the German nutters in their 3 series. Oh the day will be fun.

[ QUOTE ]

Kev you remember who the real nutters where around the circuit, not the RX7's (although his idea that winding the hourse power down to 550BHP because it was damp did worry me a little), not the professional looking Skyline group with rows of slicks and not even the group of English lads in Elises - No it was all the German nutters in their 3 series. Oh the day will be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right - especially the bloke in the (although 5 series) 535D!

Spoke to the lad at work today, he's rather excited about it, just need to organise some dates!

Kev.

hey hey hey do not underestimate the power in this oner! It’s pushing 203BHP (to be exact) and puts a whacking 300lb/ft of torque! That’s about the same torque as the M3 - so on the roll my car will kill allot of so called "fast cars" now - it makes me laugh every time I plant it. I had some middle aged crisis guy in his new 745i and well yeah they are fast but sitting on the M25 not to far from St Albans he was duly raped by the baby Beemer! Was even playing with a new boxster S the other day - even keeled it - he wasn’t looking to happy with his obviously new purchase.

Anyways big head aside I’m not racing you guys on the motorway or on the roads let alone the track. If were in convoy we should act responsible - I think that’s standard protocol isn’t it?

I don’t want one our deaths on our hands all because we got carried away for a split second! So play safe me thinks plus I don’t know the circuit so it will be just me taking it easy and getting to know her before seeing how fast I can go (and not in relation to other ppl on the track - there is always someone faster than you so why bother killing yourself!)

indeed you're right and I only talk big I knew when to slow down at the ring (usually when Kev says wooo there, 120 over a blind crest is fast enough!) all joking aside the drive down is not to be mared with being caught speeding or prang the car, plus if i drive hard I'll only have to stop for petrol sooner. I can see myself selling the S3 and buying a oner at this rate!
I may have to plan a mod before I go, what can it be, answers on a post card or by return post

[ QUOTE ]
I knew when to slow down at the ring (usually when Kev says wooo there, 120 over a blind crest is fast enough!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That was scarey enough!

[ QUOTE ]
I may have to plan a mod before I go, what can it be, answers on a post card or by return post

[/ QUOTE ]

Brakes that smoke less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kev.

Speaking of which I've always wanted to see in slow motion a fly melting into a metal object travelling at speed...

And then there is the Physics behind it...does the fly melt into the metal or does it bounce off, were talking atomic/nucleus make-up now and if that one mass (fly) does slow your car down any? Hmmmmmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
We averaged less than 10mpg per lap!

[/ QUOTE ]

By a strange twist of fate...we ended up getting 18.9MPG around the 'ring - flat out...

18.6 MPG at 165+ genuine MPH on the Autobahn...

Yet it only seems to want to do 16-17MPG running about at home...work that out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We averaged less than 10mpg per lap!

[/ QUOTE ]

By a strange twist of fate...we ended up getting 18.9MPG around the 'ring - flat out...

18.6 MPG at 165+ genuine MPH on the Autobahn...

Yet it only seems to want to do 16-17MPG running about at home...work that out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't work that out!

We measured ours manually from brimmed tank to brimmed tank - I've no idea what the DIS recorded. Did you use the DIS (or Porche equivilent) to measure the MPG or was it manually done?

That seems pretty good MPG for a car thrashed for 14 miles!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't work that out!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it fallis into the catagory of an engine that's not happy running about in general use...and wants to be sitting at 7000RPM+ doing what the engineers designed it for...

[ QUOTE ]

We measured ours manually from brimmed tank to brimmed tank - I've no idea what the DIS recorded. Did you use the DIS (or Porche equivilent) to measure the MPG or was it manually done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I used the PCM trip function...
Perhaps not super accurate...but it was what was used on each occasion...

According to one magazine that tested a C4S...it ran dry with the trip computer reading 1 mile to go...so it appears to be fairly accurate.
Either way...I'll not be testing the accuracy of the range function...I just stick another £50 worth in when the chime goes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That seems pretty good MPG for a car thrashed for 14 miles!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say so...

mind if i bring the vaux shed along?

obviously on a trailer behind the tdi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of which I've always wanted to see in slow motion a fly melting into a metal object travelling at speed...

And then there is the Physics behind it...does the fly melt into the metal or does it bounce off, were talking atomic/nucleus make-up now

[/ QUOTE ]

90 minus the angle of the impact panel x speed of vehicle all over how much wax is on the car

[ QUOTE ]
and if that one mass (fly) does slow your car down any? Hmmmmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Mass of fly x speed of fly)/(mass of vehicle x velocity)

any other physics advice feel free to ask...

....somebody else! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric and I met up and chatted about this today.

Some lads we met there last time have contatced us about going again just before easter... I'll post some more details as soon as I know.

Kev.

LOL Eric now you know that 5th grade physics Libary book is well over due - isnt it time you let some other kid get better use out of it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well James if you hadn't spent all your dosh on that diesel you'd have the cash and be ready to go. btw the physics book is now in the hands of my son who is making better use of it than me, the pages are all torn out and are lining the floor!
The cheek of it, suggesting I get all my knowledge from a children’s encyclopaedia!!! Ask me anything, absolutely anything, I'm ready.

I think we are aiming for a mid march weekend, however any later and I'm out due to imminent arrival of number child, I may even have problems with this so lets hope the wife can get her parents down. Kev let me know a date asap. How many are interested?

I've posted a link to the 'ring opening dates in the European Meets/Events section.

Just booked myself onto a trip in march but won't mind another providing my gearbox is fixed.

I've received this email from Rob (one of the lads we met last time):

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry i haven't phoned you, things are a bit hectic!!

Were definitely going 1st April in the morning and coming back on the 4th in the morning.

We just need to decide on numbers. We'll probably be booking ferry/hotel etc this coming week.

Let us know what you're plans are.

Cheers

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to speak to him but those plans seem pretty much set. I assume that's a no-go for you Eric?

If so shall we set our own weekend mid March?

Kev.

i will need to get this pre-approved by the wife, she has pointed out to me that its not the early arrival of the new baby that is of concern its more that fact that she cant look after Ethan, eg bath him, cope with his manic behaviour and keep him entertained all on her own, so she needs some help around the house. She needs to check with her folks as to what weekend they can cover.
Looking at the dates April 1st is top, however i am sure this date will be busy, the 2 weekends before that dont give much track time
Sun 19th 9am-4pm
Mon 20th 1pm - 4pm

Sun 26th 9am-6pm
Mon 27th 1pm-6pm

against 1st april all aftenoon, all day the sunday and Monday afternoon.
I will speak to the wife about the 1st and report back