Numerous issues with new A3

wizzywig27

Reaction score
Hi all

I purchased my A3 1.5 in June and have had a number of issues. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were, has anyone had the same issues etc. My car is currently with Audi who are inevstigating. Below are the issues and findings so far:

MMI: This god awful slow, I mean, I turn the engine on and its about a minute before I can press anything, change radio stations etc. Outcome so far: They have checked it against another A3 he said it was same load times, I asked if you could change radio stations, go to satnav straight away etc he said yes, I asked if there was a software update applied he said yes, but not to address slow MMI. I will test when I get it back tomorrow.

Lights: I was getting an dash error advising me my lights were faulty: Resolution: fixed with software update.

Cruise control: I often get the message 'Crusie control system: currently unavailable. See owner's manual'. Outcome: Cannot replicate the fault (despite me showing photos) - his answer - sometimes it just doesn’t work.

Central locking when I forget to lock: As I have push-button start I sometimes forget to lock my car (as keys are in my pocket). I expected my car to auto-lock after a set period. Outcome: My car doesn’t have this feature apparently. I will check this with Audi UK as I’m not sure they are right.

He wants to do an overnight road test (basically someone drives it home for the night and back tomorrow) and wants me to pay for the petrol. I am not talking local here, maybe a 60 mile round trip! No chance mate!

I also have the juddering. I have not mentioned this to them until I have read these forums, so going to give him a call now to ask him to look into it.

Hi all

I purchased my A3 1.5 in June and have had a number of issues. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were, has anyone had the same issues etc. My car is currently with Audi who are inevstigating. Below are the issues and findings so far:

MMI: This god awful slow, I mean, I turn the engine on and its about a minute before I can press anything, change radio stations etc. Outcome so far: They have checked it against another A3 he said it was same load times, I asked if you could change radio stations, go to satnav straight away etc he said yes, I asked if there was a software update applied he said yes, but not to address slow MMI. I will test when I get it back tomorrow.

Lights: I was getting an dash error advising me my lights were faulty: Resolution: fixed with software update.

Cruise control: I often get the message 'Crusie control system: currently unavailable. See owner's manual'. Outcome: Cannot replicate the fault (despite me showing photos) - his answer - sometimes it just doesn’t work.

Central locking when I forget to lock: As I have push-button start I sometimes forget to lock my car (as keys are in my pocket). I expected my car to auto-lock after a set period. Outcome: My car doesn’t have this feature apparently. I will check this with Audi UK as I’m not sure they are right.

He wants to do an overnight road test (basically someone drives it home for the night and back tomorrow) and wants me to pay for the petrol. I am not talking local here, maybe a 60 mile round trip! No chance mate!

I also have the juddering. I have not mentioned this to them until I have read these forums, so going to give him a call now to ask him to look into it.

Hey!

When did you accept delivery of the vehicle, do you know your build week? First things first this is definitely an 8Y model you have?

The MMI is not slow for me at all, and so far as I know there have been no other reports, in fact, it's quite the opposite, it's very responsive!

I have pretty much every option enabled on my A3 apart from the phonebox inductive charging. I've had no issues with cruise control. The only thing I can think of is that this is somehow linked to the mystery errors that the first batch of A3 users are seeing, they include electronics system failures, tyre pressure warnings, etc. In some cases for driver assistance, you have to be driving over 10 KM/hr for these systems to be useable but does not explain the issues you are having.

I went for the advanced key so I can't compare to mine, but even without the advance key I did think there was a door safe / auto-lock feature on my old A5 but they might have removed this to try and get you to purchase the advance key if that's important to you.

Road test - no way! Dealerships can see most issues by plugging them into their diagnostics. Lots of my issues were resolved by having the systems recalibrated the past couple of days at the garage and so far so good. This might include some fixes from Audi as I know they are aware of the issues and actively fixing them.

There are teething problems but yours sound pretty bad. What engine and trim is it?

Reactions: AdamInKent
Hello, definitely the 8Y, apparently one of the first in the country to get one.

S-Line 1.5 Manual.

Factory Options

Progressive Steering
18" 5-Y-Spoke alloys
Heated Front Seats
I-size and top tether child seat mounting for the outer rear seats
Pearl - Daytona grey
4 way electrically adjustable lumbar support for driver and front passenger
Front side and head airbags
Matrix LED Exterior lighting Pack - A3
3 spoke flat bottomed multifunction plus sports contour leather wrapped steering wheel
Sports suspension
Tyre repair kit
Extended ambient lighting pack - A3 Sportback
Tool kit
Storage pack - A3 Sportback

As far as I know there’s never been an Auto lock feature other than if you unlock but then don’t open a door or boot it will relock after 30 seconds in case you unlocked accidentally

an auto lock would be dangerous in case you’d left someone or a child in the car they wouldn’t be able to get out in an emergency

I assume if you were sitting in the car when the driver walks away with the keys and the doors lock, you could get out simply by pulling on the door release, just like auto lock works when driving the car.

I know the Auto Lock feature is something that can be coded on my Golf via OBDII port so would think it’s buried in the VAG ecosystem across Audi as well.

On a little side note, the overnight road test has resulted in the technician driving my car all over the county, sitting in McDonald’s, Tesco and KFC car parks for the evening, in fact he’s still sat in Tesco car park as we speak.

For someone who ‘knows Audi’s inside out’ its a shame he doesn’t know the app has GPS tracking on it!

Reactions: Mryolon
Hi,
I have had some of your issues as well :-

The speed limiter/cruise control only works randomly, same message on dash as yours.

Remote locking and connect key, via myAudi app has never worked! It’s going in to the dealership next week to be looked at.

The myAudi app only connects about 50% of the time?! Never on a Friday?

The MMI keeps reloading my user profile mid drive, so I loose my music and satellite navigation, for about 2mins each time.

This is my first Audi and I expected a better quality and experience than this. Drives nice though:icon thumright:

Reactions: Mryolon
So, been told by Audi the A3 does not auto lock if left idle for a certain amount of time (for example if you forget to lock it and walk away), but I was told I can lock it remotely. So I call Audi digital services who advise you cannot remote lock via the App on my car.

I also asked if a future update could activate wireless CarPlay and he said he didn’t know.

When the car was in I asked about my engine juddering when engine is cold. He checked and there was no engine software update for my car, so really not sure what to do about that.

He wants to do an overnight road test (basically someone drives it home for the night and back tomorrow) and wants me to pay for the petrol.
Talk about the dealer taking the ****.

So, been told by Audi the A3 does not auto lock if left idle for a certain amount of time (for example if you forget to lock it and walk away), but I was told I can lock it remotely. So I call Audi digital services who advise you cannot remote lock via the App on my car.

I also asked if a future update could activate wireless CarPlay and he said he didn’t know.

When the car was in I asked about my engine juddering when engine is cold. He checked and there was no engine software update for my car, so really not sure what to do about that.
You should be able to lock it remotley, my old A4 had the feature so that feature should flow down to the new A3, even my facelift Cupra Ateca has it ***.
My car (basically an S3/Golf R on stilts) has wireless CarPlay so should be able to activate it on yours via VCDS or via Audi themselves in the future.

Reactions: pburv
I didn’t mention it earlier but found the technician was ragging my car around until midnight, had him tracked using the app (screenshots etc). Had him tracked in Tesco car park, McDonald’s. at park, a different McDonalds car park then the same Tesco car park over an hour at each one. Then parked outside someone’s house for an hour before home!

I didn’t mention it earlier but found the technician was ragging my car around until midnight, had him tracked using the app (screenshots etc). Had him tracked in Tesco car park, McDonald’s. at park, a different McDonalds car park then the same Tesco car park over an hour at each one. Then parked outside someone’s house for an hour before home!
I would definitely be sending a email to the Audi MD. It's just not acceptable to do that. I understand they test drive them for diagnosis purposes but that's taking ****. You have the evidence, I would be wanting the car fixed asap or go global with the **** poor service from Audi, unbelievable. Senior directors etc below mate.

Audi (UK) Complaints (complaintsdepartment.co.uk)

Reactions: pburv
I have taken it up with Vindis who are looking into it. Got my car back today and there is a scratch on it. They say it was there when I dropped it off but I’m not sure.

The juddering is a 1.5 TSI thing. You just have to live with it. Utter garbage engine though. Lack-luster, sluggish, mediocre mpg and awful drievability.

Honest John said there was an update to the engine, Vindis said there wasn’t one available for the A3.

I feel you on the others though

Honest John said there was an update to the engine, Vindis said there wasn’t one available for the A3.

I feel you on the others though
The update doesn’t work. Honest John not being very honest on that one. Just because an update to software has been released doesn’t mean the update fixed the issue.

i had a 1.5 tsi in a leon FR from new, think about an overtake you need to apply in writing 3 days prior, the engine is geared for economy just seems far too dormant and uninspiring, unfortunately that’s the world we live in #save.a.polar.bear

It’s absolutely embarrassing bunny-hopping down the road.

half tempted to pursue it with Audi with a view to rejecting in.

It’s absolutely embarrassing bunny-hopping down the road.

half tempted to pursue it with Audi with a view to rejecting in.
I would get on with that ASAP. The longer you leave it the harder it will become.
I will never own another 1.5TSI

I love the car though. Vindis also said they couldn’t replicate the ‘fault’ (surprise)

I love the car though. Vindis also said they couldn’t replicate the ‘fault’ (surprise)
It only really happens on cold start up. I think its emissions related, not enough fuel causing the car to stutter / stall, and obviously they cannot get around this, remember diesel gate.

they are lying to you and it’s a well trodden path of “we can’t replicate the fault” every dealer knows about the 1.5 TSI’s shortcomings they are just getting better at lying. I had my local dealer admit it to me after i got rid of the car, after the initial, “oh we have never heard of that line”

It only really happens on cold start up. I think its emissions related, not enough fuel causing the car to stutter / stall, and obviously they cannot get around this, remember diesel gate.

they are lying to you and it’s a well trodden path of “we can’t replicate the fault” every dealer knows about the 1.5 TSI’s shortcomings they are just getting better at lying. I had my local dealer admit it to me after i got rid of the car, after the initial, “oh we have never heard of that line”

I don't understand this issue, on a couple of occasions I have taken mine out at 5am / 6am where its been about 0 C / 1.5 C and its smooth, no judder no hopping and it gives the power too.

Sounds to me like the OP is having issues with their vehicle that are more related to the build of their vehicle rather than something more common.

I don't understand this issue, on a couple of occasions I have taken mine out at 5am / 6am where its been about 0 C / 1.5 C and its smooth, no judder no hopping and it gives the power too.

Sounds to me like the OP is having issues with their vehicle that are more related to the build of their vehicle rather than something more common.
Well fortunately sounds like you have an un-affected engine which is good news. A quick google search you will find widespread issues over every VAG car that uses the 1.5 tsi. My 2018 Leon 1.5 TSI was very bad, hence why i don’t own it anymore.

Double post

Well fortunately sounds like you have an un-affected engine which is good news. A quick google search you will find widespread issues over every VAG car that uses the 1.5 tsi. My 2018 Leon 1.5 TSI was very bad, hence why i don’t own it anymore.

See my new post. I am glad you mention this as I am so close to contacting Audi to reject. I just don't think I have the energy, plus I am not sure what car I would even get if I was to

I can't really comment too much as I don't know much about this but there is nothing to suggest that the issue you are talking about is impacting the 8Y. I've been working with my dealer to help them resolve quite a few issues and driven about 3 different trim versions of the 1.5 TFSI and if anything the engine is the only consistent and good thing about it. Aside from wizzywig27 where are the reports that the 8Y has this problem?

See my new post. I am glad you mention this as I am so close to contacting Audi to reject. I just don't think I have the energy, plus I am not sure what car I would even get if I was to

My advice would be just to talk to your dealer. Speak to the sales manager explain the situation, use YouTube Videos to show the speed of the MMI and how it should be, then show a video of yours. If the dash errors are not present at the dealer or you cant replicate the issue it really should show up on the diagnostics for the technicians (mine did) any error gets logged into the memory until cleared. I think you have been really unlucky with your build, mine is the same but not as bad. Dealer putting through a new factory build for me and we will swap it out for the current one (same spec). As there have been reports that the ones coming out of the factory now are coming with A. The right seats and B. no electrical faults/issues. Maybe the two were related, who knows. Hang in there and keep pushing, you don't want to be stuck with these issues. Last resort, reject, drive to another audi dealer and order the same car again.

Reactions: Jcbmally and AdamInKent
And are you confident that this is related to that and not the other issues you are having? If you are then it sounds pretty straight forward to me, reject it get another one built.
Let me summarise the issues I have had and give an update as to where we are:

Light error - resolved, apparently fixed with software update
Slow MMI - resolved, apparently wasn't slow, but now fine since they applied a software update
Cruise control: not resolved, unable to replicate error
Cup holder: not resolved, see above, was happy for it to be faulty as didn't affect its use - however they have now ensure it does need replacing/repairing
Central locking: resolved, my car does not auto lock itself when left unlocked overnight
Judder: not resolved, unable to replicate error.

I was just on Audi configurator and the 1.5l engine is not configurable and doesn't show on the configurator.

Let me summarise the issues I have had and give an update as to where we are:

Light error - resolved, apparently fixed with software update
Slow MMI - resolved, apparently wasn't slow, but now fine since they applied a software update
Cruise control: not resolved, unable to replicate error
Cup holder: not resolved, see above, was happy for it to be faulty as didn't affect its use - however they have now ensure it does need replacing/repairing
Central locking: resolved, my car does not auto lock itself when left unlocked overnight
Judder: not resolved, unable to replicate error.

I was just on Audi configurator and the 1.5l engine is not configurable and doesn't show on the configurator.

At least it seems like you have made progress from where I thought you were with the issues.

Yes, the 1.5 TFSI hasn't been on the website for a few days now, however, the dealerships can still order them. Some think it's come off while they update the emissions, it was mentioned in another post on here.

At least it seems like you have made progress from where I thought you were with the issues.

Yes, the 1.5 TFSI hasn't been on the website for a few days now, however, the dealerships can still order them. Some think it's come off while they update the emissions, it was mentioned in another post on here.

That's correct change from RDE1 to RDE2 Engine

My friend has had the Light Issue -Contact workshop - seems to go away if you recycle the ignition, but I will tell him and he can then look to get a software update done

Was just thinking that potentially it could resolve the judder issue

Possibly - We have a works pool car - Seat Leon 1.5T - 69 plate (2020) so last of the facelifts and I've been driving it around since March due to lockdown and no problems with that and a friend has the Audi 1.5T (2018) and he's not complained of any issues with that - Does say not as good as the old 1.4T (150BHP) though

I am half tempted to try and reject it, try to get the new variant, I am just not sure I have the energy if I am being honest.

I am half tempted to try and reject it, try to get the new variant, I am just not sure I have the energy if I am being honest.

It's not like you have to build it yourself :wink new:

Either way, just be sure that whatever decision you make you will be happy with it in 4+ /5+ years' time.

Good luck with your decision!

It's not like you have to build it yourself :wink new:

Either way, just be sure that whatever decision you make you will be happy with it in 4+ /5+ years' time.

Good luck with your decision!
I mean the arguing with dealer and VWFS - last car I rejected (VW Polo due to seatbelt recall) took so much energy

Update: Dealer agreed to swap my car for a new one.

Only differences are:

New one I gain comfort and sound pack

So I lose: storage pack, ambient light pack and matrix LED headlights

same terms on my old PCP and no extra money required. Just a simple swap of keys and I presume signing new paperwork.

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally
Update: Dealer agreed to swap my car for a new one.

Only differences are:

New one I gain comfort and sound pack

So I lose: storage pack, ambient light pack and matrix LED headlights
Glad that you got a good outcome. Will you particularly miss any of the lost options? (I’m interested to know whether or not you consider them worth the money?)

Reactions: TYb
What about the technician who took your car all over town?

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally