Number plates and the law

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
So I have been doing a bit of reading about number plates as one of my friends recently got fined for having a numbers on his car that were a fraction smaller than the legal size.

Is if illegal if you had a very short reg plate say 1 XXX to chop off the bits at the side to just have the bit in the middle left? The lettering and spacing obviously would t be affected..

Anyone know the ins and outs of this?

No as long as the spacing is legal, legal font bsau and postcode, you can trim it down so 11mm of white is showing from the edge of the end digits to the edge of the plate

Ah k-thinking of getting it trimmed down then-is it difficult to trim it down?

Number plates are made of tough stuff...:)

I currently have standard grill but I bet the small front plate would look sweet on a honeycomb grill!

Perspex or something like, i use metal pressed plates, been a while since i used them.
Dubmeister used to sell mini metal ones fully legal for 5 digit plates

Ah kk-I'll be looking to get a pair of these-does dubmeister still do the smaller type plates?

I don't think they do, this was a few years ago tbh, always worth an email/call though

I usually find a smile, courteous attitude and honestly means that the officer uses her/his discretion rather than serving you with a fine.

So many people say Mr Such and Such police officer is this that and the other, but when you swear at him for pulling you over what do you expect in return lol??

Reactions: Jake 61, Marine_918, TorqueTerrorist and 3 others
I guess you are right-but I don't won't to willingly break the law-I'd rather abide by it to avoid getting a fine in the first place..

Anyone got any nice pics of their front grill with small plate to entice me?

The offence code relates to font and spacing of letters. You can even have black and silver plates on a post 1974 car because there is no offence code relating to colour.

As for cutting them down, it's easy. Mark them with masking tape, draw cutting marks, and use a hacksaw with a medium or fine Blade. I usually clamp a piece of flat bar on the back, cut through the 3m backing tape with a blade. Not 100% needed though.

Then, clean up your edges with a file. For rounded edges, simply clamp a 2 pence coin in the corner, and use your file again. Takes seconds to remove the corners!

The offence code relates to font and spacing of letters. You can even have black and silver plates on a post 1974 car because there is no offence code relating to colour.

numberplates must conform to the requirements of the age of the vehicle they're displayed on, black and silver cannot be used legally on cars post January 1973

while there might be no "offence code", it is illegal as it would fail an MOT

I have trimmed ones.. Just been for MOT last week and failed on those alone! Never been stopped of fined for mine. If the font is legal and size+spacing is correct, you ned an 11mm border and thats all ive ever gone by.

But as i say, new mot guideline failed me.

numberplates must conform to the requirements of the age of the vehicle they're displayed on, black and silver cannot be used legally on cars post January 1973

while there might be no "offence code", it is illegal as it would fail an MOT
But there is no offence code so how are you going to be tried for it?

I got a letter of apology because they tried to do me on another offence code which was not applicable.

I have trimmed ones.. Just been for MOT last week and failed on those alone! Never been stopped of fined for mine. If the font is legal and size+spacing is correct, you ned an 11mm border and thats all ive ever gone by.

But as i say, new mot guideline failed me.

This is what scares me about trimming the plates-or could buy some other plates and exchange the, just for the mot..

But there is no offence code so how are you going to be tried for it?

I got a letter of apology because they tried to do me on another offence code which was not applicable.

that's my point, they get around the lack of offence code by baiting it into another category, driving a vehicle without a "valid" mot (not to be confused with no mot)

that's my point, they get around the lack of offence code by baiting it into another category, driving a vehicle without a "valid" mot (not to be confused with no mot)

But would the police stop you just because the plates looked short?

Mine are stuck on for good.. almost. I just stuck legal ones on top for MOT and pulled off when passed. Only once a year!
I havent heard of anyone i know being fined for short plates, only if there illegal font..

But would the police stop you just because the plates looked short?

if it has all the required featured, BSAU145d and font size and space are correct with the required 11mm around the edge I think you'll be fine, I would nip into your local MOT garage or the one you use each year and ask them whether it would pass

Ok thx for the advice-now to find a place where I can buy pressed plates with the BSAU and postcode in it...

Anyone know a decent place to buy these?