Number plate screws

DannyE91

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We recently bought an A3 64 plate and at the weekend we put the private reg back on it. I needed to buy new screws as the old reg plate had the euro/GB badge on it and the new plates are plain so the moulded screws are a different colour.

Not sure if all A3s have the same but the back plate as holes in the boot lid for you to put screws into (it looks factory), my problem is I'm struggling to find the correct number plate screws that fit into these raised holes.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I have tried oversized screws off ebay and Halfords but none seem to fit. I even tried breaking off the moulded cap off the current screws to fit them into the number plate caps you can buy but the screw head is too big for the cap..

I have done a search on the forum but unable to find anything relevant but maybe Im searching for the wrong thing.

Cheers

stick it on? i used to screw but now i stick! much neater and never fall off if you do it properly.

Hi guys,

We recently bought an A3 64 plate and at the weekend we put the private reg back on it. I needed to buy new screws as the old reg plate had the euro/GB badge on it and the new plates are plain so the moulded screws are a different colour.

Not sure if all A3s have the same but the back plate as holes in the boot lid for you to put screws into (it looks factory), my problem is I'm struggling to find the correct number plate screws that fit into these raised holes.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I have tried oversized screws off ebay and Halfords but none seem to fit. I even tried breaking off the moulded cap off the current screws to fit them into the number plate caps you can buy but the screw head is too big for the cap..

I have done a search on the forum but unable to find anything relevant but maybe Im searching for the wrong thing.

Cheers
Welcome to audi-sport.net. Try our parts request for number plate screws

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/support-tickets/open

Reactions: DannyE91
Are the raised parts plastic?
Could they be cut or filed down and just stick the plates on?
Maybe sometimes the stick on pads will still do the trick even though the holes stick up or out slightly.
I think my old TT was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was going to do originally but its got a foam backing (Which can be removed I guess) but the screw holes are raised meaning I couldn't stick the plate on.

It looks like the below image, and the foam levels the surface for the raised screw holes.

Upload 2019 1 10 11 36 34

Are the raised parts plastic?
Could they be cut or filed down and just stick the plates on?
Maybe sometimes the stick on pads will still do the trick even though the holes stick up or out slightly.
I think my old TT was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look to be metal and part of the car unfortunately. I could maybe get some thicker stick on pads but don't want it to look daft if its exposed from the car too much.

Having looked around the forum I decided to buy one of the audi number plate surrounds. I think they look pretty cool. £13 delivered direct from Audi.

Thanks for the help guys but if anyone has anything further to add regarding the screws, it might help others.

In my last car I had similar issues. I had 2 black caps and the lettering on my private plate meant I needed 2 yellow ones. The motor factors I got my plates from had a variety of fitting and as far as I remember they all just had a small self tapping screw with the coloured bit and it screwed straight in my a6.
I’m intrigued what number plate surround you got.

In my last car I had similar issues. I had 2 black caps and the lettering on my private plate meant I needed 2 yellow ones. The motor factors I got my plates from had a variety of fitting and as far as I remember they all just had a small self tapping screw with the coloured bit and it screwed straight in my a6.
I’m intrigued what number plate surround you got.

Its a pain to be honest, you would think Audi would stock the screws with the holes being part of the boot lid. I have ordered some slightly different screws off ebay after finding out that size is M6 so I will see if they fit - (just incase I don't like the surround when fitted !).

Here is the number plate surround:
https://store.audi.co.uk/audi-sport-number-plate-holder-3291401400.html

I got it from ebay - from audi in stoke so paid £13 delivered.

Reactions: AlS3BE
One of the reviews said its rubber to stop the plate from moving inside the holder. I will update once received and put a picture up.

Its a pain to be honest, you would think Audi would stock the screws with the holes being part of the boot lid. I have ordered some slightly different screws off ebay after finding out that size is M6 so I will see if they fit - (just incase I don't like the surround when fitted !).

Here is the number plate surround:
https://store.audi.co.uk/audi-sport-number-plate-holder-3291401400.html

I got it from ebay - from audi in stoke so paid £13 delivered.

I’ve just taken delivery of one of these surrounds today, just waiting for my pressed aluminium number plates to be delivered then I can get it on the car. I think it will look great.

If anybody decides to stick there number plate on then don't bother with the expensive littles stick pads. Buy a roll of some double sided glazing tape, 12 x 3 mm should be fine, comes in different lengths and can be found on e-bay. It's fantastic stuff.

Colin

If anybody decides to stick there number plate on then don't bother with the expensive littles stick pads. Buy a roll of some double sided glazing tape, 12 x 3 mm should be fine, comes in different lengths and can be found on e-bay. It's fantastic stuff.

Colin

I got a roll of the stuff last time. It was like £4 for 4 small rectangles or £5 for a roll of the stuff.

I’ve always just stuck mine on. You do need good tape such as 3m brand. Most from local hardware stores are not sticky enough.