number plate rules

mephisto

Reaction score
Anyone know is it compulsory to have the supplier name on your number plate?

Just had some plates done and they came back with 'XXXXXX Auto Spares LTD' along the bottom in sh't black font and its not small.

Well its a gay law! Ruined my plates having a hissy fit over it even the misses agrees it looks sh.t
Going to check some other cars as I noticdd on way home some cars have but with faded red font etc something less bold and not what looks like Times new roman font.

BSAU markings are required on each plate and they do include dvla registered supplier code

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It can be quite small and in grey which makes it a cleaner look .
I agree, do you know per chance where this states it's permitted though and by how much, even gov website is usual in it's vague lacking detail.

I looked on Yougov area and it says **** all about it as far as i can see.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/getting-number-plates-made-up

Ah ok i found some info here under item 4. mentions 'can' not must and minimum of 3mm...

The British Standard
By law, each number plate must display a permanent mark of the following information:

• The name and postcode of the supplying outlet
  • The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
  • The name or trade mark of the manufacturer or component supplier (Ours reads JEPSON)

https://www.jepsonandco.com/legislation/legal-number-plate-design/

legalnumberplatedesignimage_sRGB.jpg

All my number plates are supplied with my details on.

Virtually all garages these days put their name / logo in bold and much larger than it needs to be. Good luck challenging them - they just say it’s the law (which it is) but not at the size they do it.

Reactions: mephisto
You can Buy them online with Just the Post Code and Bsau done in small font .
But be aware they are not legal unless the supplier is on the DVLA's approved list. No one ever checks this though, as far as I am aware.

I supply plates and I have my lettering in 3 sizes.

One of those I’m phasing out (large text)

I also have them at the minimum size (3mm)

I also have stick on details for those that require short plates made. (Plates cut to size)

I have no details on mine and speaking to several mot testers they say it is now an advisory if the details arnt on the bottom

( I just throw the plates the dealer made me when I got the car in the boot )

as much as we all hate Halfords last time I saw there plates they put the legal info in the background colour in the corner so was really hard to spot

Reactions: MikeParkin and mephisto
Just to update i popped to my local garage they too have their name center bottom but the text is absolutely tiny and acceptable. Much more like it. I feel this Auto spare company bs'd me saying the text had to be that big.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Just to update i popped to my local garage they too have their name center bottom but the text is absolutely tiny and acceptable. Much more like it. I feel this Auto spare company bs'd me saying the text had to be that big.

If you need some more mate just give me a shout or check Apex Plates out on Instagram and Facebook or it’s in the general chat under number plates.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/number-plates.419430/