Number Plate Lights

1210tech

Four Ring Fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.sportscarprotection.com
Got a bulb out warning last night for rear number plate so tried replacing the bulb this morning to find that I couldn't get the clear bulb holders out because the screws are rusted in and too soft to remove.
I decided to remove the complete housing by removing the boot lining and undoing the four bolts that hold it in. Got the housing out and drilled out the two old screws to remove the bulb holders, replaced the bulbs and put two new stainless steel self tapping screws in, re-fitted the housing and guess what.....bulbs still not working ***! :(

Have read on another forum that the wiring to the bulb supply might have broken inside one of the weather seals and that I might need to replace or repair the harness?????

Any help or ideas on how to go about this very much appreciated, anyone else had this problem?

Try bending the metal prongs on the back of the lenses and use some contact cleaner on both parts.

Try bending the metal prongs on the back of the lenses and use some contact cleaner on both parts.

cheers paul but already tried it, cleaned the contacts using the dremel and sprayed a bit of WD in there. The lights did come on again at one point but then when i opened the boot the lights went out again, this points to the wiring...OH MAN! :(

Had the same issue with mine and it was a wiring plug in the boot lid next to the wiper motor the one for the NP lights, from memory it had 3 wires in it and was quite small, one wire had slightly pulled out of the connector so pushed it back in and all was ok. hope this is of use and merry xmas

Had the same issue with mine and it was a wiring plug in the boot lid next to the wiper motor the one for the NP lights, from memory it had 3 wires in it and was quite small, one wire had slightly pulled out of the connector so pushed it back in and all was ok. hope this is of use and merry xmas

i did check the small connector that feeds the release mechanism and the lights and all seemed to be seated correctly but will check again tomorrow although i am slowing coming to the conclusion that the wiring running from the inside of the boot to the boot lid is gonna need replacing but how that is done is another matter!

merry christmas to u too :sm4:

the cabs suffer the same thing regarding the ariel, the rubber boot from the boot lid to the car bends the same direction every time you open the boot and the cabs ariel breks down at that point, maybe its the same for your problem.
i started by grabbing the rubber boot/loom and moving it about whilst radio was on and found that the reception would come and go, hence a dodgy wire, try the same with the number plate lights, see if they flicker, if so the rubber boot is a bit fiddly but pull it back to expose the loom, i could tell by just looking at mine which it was but if this isnt possible with yours then try using a multi meter and check continuity either side of the bend.
hope this helps.

Hi un plug the lights and put a meter between the terminals to see if you are getting any power if if yes then its the lights and good news there only £5 each from audi with the bulb! if no volts then work your way back untill you find the offending fault.