Number plate bulb

SootySport

Reaction score
How does the bulb failure device know that the left or right bulb has failed? It does only have one 12v. supply wire feeding both bulbs.
Puzzled A3 Facelift owner.

What year is your car? It measures it via the canbus, basically when your bulb is blown the circuit is incomplete so the resistance shoots up as there is basically no electrical bath hence the resistance is shown as being usually greater than 100-200 mega ohms. You car knows this and it is logged via tha canbus system and shows a fault. You can put a resister parallel in the circuit that will simulate the correct resistance so you can fit led's etc.

A3 is 2010. I know it's part of the canbus system but having 1 power feed suppling 2 bulbs, how does it know which one has blown.

Without looking at the circuit mate I would be guessing but I would guess that each light has its own earth return and it would pick it up that way I.e it's gets low resistance on one and high on the other or it knows what the total resistance for both lights in the circuit should be

Well, it could be measured by the earth wire I guess. There are two of them there but I assumed one of them is for the boot lock, as both items are on the same loom plug.