Nuespeed anti-roll bars

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, does anyone have this fitted? its a new nuespeed 25mm anti-roll bar will it fit on an S3 2002? and why does it have adjustable thingies? thanks

Blue.jpg

Plus would these 25mm fit as well?

Red.jpg

The adjustable end mounting points are to allow differing levels of stiffness to be dialed in.

The adjustable rear is hollow...so it's stiffness is not directly comparable to the straight bars...however, in my opinion the 22mm F and 19mm R are ideal for an S3 with decent upgraded dampers and springs...25/25...that's too stiff in my opinion...

You don't want anything bigger than a 22 on the front in my view...it just adds understeer beyond the 22mm bar...and even a badly set up S3 with the 22mm bar with understeer.

The jump from 19mm rear Neuspeed to the adjuatable 'race' 25mm bar is massive...and too much in my view. The S3 is likely to be unstable...

If you 'must' go bigger at the rear than the proven to work 19mm bar...try the 22mm...not the 25mm.

At the end of the day...yes, they'll fit.

But I'd expect the car to be unpredictable and twitchy...with understeer at the front in the wet, leading to snap oversteer with the slightest hint of a lift.
I may be wrong...having never tried them, I can't say...

What I can say for sure...is that if you want to spend your money on a set up that works...go with the 22/19 combo...it just works and keeps the chassis forgiving and benign.

If you like driving a twitchy car...try the 22mm rear at your own risk.

But in my view...avoid the 25mm front at all costs - the last thing the S3 needs is more understeer!
...and avoid the ***-twitching 25mm rear bar too...unless you want to have an unpredictable car.

Cool, thanks Glen, wasn't sure how it would be with 25mm but I can see where you're coming from. So you'd advice 22mm F and 19mm R? how about both front and rear 22mm? why would you want the rear a bit less? would it reduce understeer?

where is the best place to buy these parts from? and can any1 say the size the S3 has standard and maybe also a 1.8TQ?

[ QUOTE ]
cool, thanks for the great advice man, really appreciate it. Ok one more set-up lol. How is the Blistien set-up from AMD, I think it's 19mm rear and 23mm front? My bro has this on his 4motion colf?

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honestly...I don't know.

But a couple of comments:
23/19 on a 4Motion is 3mm bigger than standard per end (20/16).
A good increase...but not proportionally bigger at the rear.

Add to this the fact that the 4Motion is an even bigger understeering beast than an S3...and I think that set up can be improved upon.

Another thing...I wouldn't have the Koni coilovers on my S3...I have them on my GT Golf...and although they work well, the Bilstein / H&R combo is FAR better in terms of comfort.

The outright performance is comparable, but the Bilstein / H&R set up is quieter, more comfortable and in my mind a better road alternative. The way the Bilstein / H&R set up behaves on the track would lead you to think that the Koni kit could not better it.

You only need adjustable damping if the dampers are not set properly to begin with...in the case of the Bilsteins...they are.
Of course, the Koni coilovers may be much 'better' on a 4Motion...I've not tried them so can't say for sure...but on past experience...I'd choose the Bilsteins.

Just my thoughts...

[ QUOTE ]
Hey what about R32 ARBs, I think they're 23mm F and 19mm R. It's what AMD has on its website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better than stock, that's for sure.
Personally, with sorted suepension, I could do without the extra 1mm on the front bar, over the Neuspeed bar...but they are no doubt a lot cheaper...so have to be worth a shot.

Just put r32 bars on mine,original front one had cracked ,seems better but i will reserve judgement until the rest is changed ie some billys to go with the h&r springs that are gathering dust in my garage.It will be a few months until i get the cash for the next stage shocks springs s3 front wishbones and some decent settings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

would the extra 1mm difference make that much of a difference?
Are the anti roll bars off the R32 a direct swap or do amd supply modified brackets with them?
Whats the price difference between the nuespeeds and R32 bars?

R32 arbs are direct swap but you need the stronger r32 drop links and larger bushes/clamps.Westec charged me £242 for the arbs etc plus £50ish fitting.Not sure on the price of neuspeed but having had them before they are not cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]
R32 arbs are direct swap but you need the stronger r32 drop links and larger bushes/clamps.Westec charged me £242 for the arbs etc plus £50ish fitting.Not sure on the price of neuspeed but having had them before they are not cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the handeling on it? I mean compared with the Konis?

[ QUOTE ]
would the extra 1mm difference make that much of a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, quite possibly...
If you know what you are doing when setting up...the additional 1mm will make a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the handeling on it? I mean compared with the Konis?

[/ QUOTE ]Koni's ???. Corners very flat now no roll as such,i need to sort out alignment as i have not checked it since s3 suspension was fitted and recently subframe has been out whilest box was being swapped to 6 spd.I will be fitting bilsteins shocks and h &r springs when funds allow ,probably s3 wishbones too for more camber adjustment.Its too early to say yeh their great arbs until other work is completed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

How easy is it to fit these, are any special tools required? Is it the sort of thing i can do on my drive on ramps?

Chris

If you need to lower the subframe axle stands would be a better idea... wheels on ramps attached to lower arms attached to subframe and all...

Anyone who's actually done this will tell you...get a proper ramp.

You should remove wheels, brakes etc to remove weight...and dropping things like the subframe and exhaust at the rear, and subframe, PS rack etc at the front is heavy work.

I wouldn't even consider it on a driveway.

It took Star Performance a good few hours to do mine...3 people, and a 4 poster ramp.

Do yourself a favour...reduce the change of something going wrong and you hurting yourself...get access to a ramp.
They are heavy bits of kit you are playing with...it's difficult, hard work with a ramp...and not something I'd attempt at home.

Lower the subframe - why does that suddenly make me feel nervous.

Any advice on setup for the A4 Quattro (B5) Can post in the A4 section if preferred but not as many people read that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Greg

Cheers for the advice, thats what i wanted to hear. I'll drop it in to a somewhere to get them fitted AMD is a bit far really,
anyone know of any closer tuners to Guildford

Cheers

Chris

[ QUOTE ]

Any advice on setup for the A4 Quattro (B5) Can post in the A4 section if preferred but not as many people read that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe the A4 is a much more simple job for the ARB!

Rich

I use AH Autos on Slyfield for general servicing, but not sure the 2 of them would be up to/want this job, but you could call 01483 303942 to find out.
I think their labour is 30 or 40 an hour. Maybe less actually.

There is a place called Wheelbase in Hersham (near Walton-on-Thames) that are pretty good. Their number is 01932 252515.
http://www.wheelbase.uk.com/
I used Wheelbase last week to get an electrical problem fixed and they were very friendly. Labour is 63.50 an hour there.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe the A4 is a much more simple job for the ARB!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

It is!

No need to lower the subframe on the A4, it's a straight swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, as close to a straight swap as you can probably get anyway. It's just a matter of unbolting it and wiggling it out of there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

Greg,

It did dial out alot of the understeer with mine. However the ****** squeaking drives me mad as you will forever be lubricating the polyerothene bushes. For me the springs and shocks mad more of a difference and I would consider a better 'Bang for your buck' as it were.

I'm interested in ARB's for mine. Anyone know where I can get hold of nuespeed ones or R32's ones. I've read alot about ARBS and S3's front should be as Glen said up above anything bigger then 22 it will understeer more.

Post removed due to Advertising Rules!

Quick note to everyone on here - If you wish to use this site to advertise, you need to pay a subscribtion.

Please contact Muckypaws for further info...

Rich.

A lil feed back, for those of you who have tried the nuespeed short shift and have disliked it, I would like to ask a few questions. Firstly are you sure you fitted the shifter correctly? Secondly did you lubricate the parts and aligned the gear well?