Now what do i do..

NoggyAnton

Reaction score
HI All,

I previously posted over the last couple of years of the testing ownership of my Nogaro S3.

Back in 2019 i spent the thick end of £3500-4k on all of the major work believing that it would be a worthwhile investment and that sometimes its the better the devil you know.

It had:
Hyrbid Turbo built by TDI Turbos (comp wheel to improve response and 360 thrust)
LUK Clutch and DMF
Cambelt kit and water pump
Powerflex bushes
Milltek cat-back.

Its also recently had a full set of Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber and had lots of other minor bits like cv boots, wheel speed sensor etc. The service folder is thick!

Mechanically the car drives beautifully. It feels tight and positive on the road and the power delivery is very smooth. I`m friends with Dan at Uber tuning and we flashed one of his mild maps that he has developed over the years. The logs show its somewhere around the 240hp level. I dont drive at all quickly and just wanted a little bit of extra poke for overtaking and b roads without putting too much stress on the engine. Whilst its done 139k, it still feels strong and the comp test results were all around 170-180psi.

All thats left now on the car to do are:

Some cosmetic bits- some of which i can do myself (surface rust here and there and re-paint the wheels)

2 Brake pressuse sensors on the master cylinder (the one area where i was tight and didnt use Genuine items- aftermarket ones DO NOT work correctly)

New Fuel pump- most likely the uprated DW255 to future proof the car.

Whilst taking the front wheels off to get the tyres fitted, i notice the jacking points were in a pretty mashed state. Having previously been in the motor trade, i dont know how people manage to smash these, but as a result, its caused corrosion to creep up behind the sideskirt and has made what feels like a hole on both sides. The inner sill looks good shining a light up there.
Having done just 270 miles since the last mot, the car was in my garage and i hadnt spent much time tinkering or looking at it so it`s come as a bit of a shock.

Having now discovered this, i`m now trying to decide if this is worth yet more of my money, time and effort. This car really has frustrated me at times, but yesterday when i drove it, it reminded me that there just isnt anything like this outside of that platform that will be as refined nor as smooth at delivering its power as the S3.

With hot hatches and other cars of that era rising in value, surely the S3 isnt going to be far behind.

Has anyone else had the sills repaired/replaced and what sort of cost am i roughly looking at (allowing for differences in garages etc)

My wife is has been brilliant with this car and even suggested we used our savings to repair it, but thats not what its there for. I feel that it should be me that pays out.

I just dont want to keep throwing money at it if its not going to be worthwhile in the long run.

Ive attached a pic i took yesterday while treating it to some fresh Vpower.

Audi

• Wow
Reactions: MPH
not had this issue myself, but if it was me, i would defo look at getting a costing on getting it put right and as your ex-trade you should have a few good garages for repairs.
personally started using mine [both of em ] a lot more as i just love driving them.

Reactions: NoggyAnton
Repair it... will be worth while specially that colour ! You’ll be looking at 8/900 for new sills by someone decent spoke to someone last week that had done by gdf steel works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you @danny_dj3 and @Brad1011 for the useful replies.

I have spent a lot of time considering it over the last couple of days.
I spoke to someone yesterday who comes highly recommended. He has both a workshop and a very smart trailer unit that he takes round to do mobile repairs at Mot stations. His welding looks very good and neat.

We discussed the options and the costs i`ve seen are about what i was expecting. I had tried to do a search on here prior to my post but i was only yesterday when i found a similar thread. It seems mine isnt the only car thats now starting to suffer from this. Hardly surprising given the age.

If this is to go ahead, then i feel as though i`m committing to this car long term. There has always been a question in my mind of whether i should be throwing this much money at an old car or whether to sell it on. Having said that, there is no gurantee that a newer car is going to be any cheaper to run or put right should it go wrong.

With this issue i`ve now found, i`m unlikely to get anything like what the car is probably worth even if the mechanics are in great shape.

The only other car i would consider having other than the S3 would be another Clio Sport. My old 172 was a pretty good car although nothing like as refined. It also felt like i was a hooligan everytime i drove it!

The car sits at home under a cover and the MOT isn`t due until June, so i have time on my side.

The alignment is booked in for the 27th to make sureim not munching the new rubber.
After that i`ll get the side skirts off and have a good look around and see what the damage is.

I`m hoping its just the small holes i can feel and theres nothing more sinister lurking under there.

I have tried to find a guide on getting the skirts off. I`ve found a thread although it didnt appear complete.
The trickest part looks to be the kick plate below the door.

Are these bonded on?

Thank you @danny_dj3 and @Brad1011 for the useful replies.

I have spent a lot of time considering it over the last couple of days.
I spoke to someone yesterday who comes highly recommended. He has both a workshop and a very smart trailer unit that he takes round to do mobile repairs at Mot stations. His welding looks very good and neat.

We discussed the options and the costs i`ve seen are about what i was expecting. I had tried to do a search on here prior to my post but i was only yesterday when i found a similar thread. It seems mine isnt the only car thats now starting to suffer from this. Hardly surprising given the age.

If this is to go ahead, then i feel as though i`m committing to this car long term. There has always been a question in my mind of whether i should be throwing this much money at an old car or whether to sell it on. Having said that, there is no gurantee that a newer car is going to be any cheaper to run or put right should it go wrong.

With this issue i`ve now found, i`m unlikely to get anything like what the car is probably worth even if the mechanics are in great shape.

The only other car i would consider having other than the S3 would be another Clio Sport. My old 172 was a pretty good car although nothing like as refined. It also felt like i was a hooligan everytime i drove it!

The car sits at home under a cover and the MOT isn`t due until June, so i have time on my side.

The alignment is booked in for the 27th to make sureim not munching the new rubber.
After that i`ll get the side skirts off and have a good look around and see what the damage is.

I`m hoping its just the small holes i can feel and theres nothing more sinister lurking under there.

I have tried to find a guide on getting the skirts off. I`ve found a thread although it didnt appear complete.
The trickest part looks to be the kick plate below the door.

Are these bonded on?
Hi

I purchased my 2002, Imola S3 back at the end of October last year and purchased it from 1 of the online auction sites so it had a very thorough write up and 167 supporting photos which showed absolutely no rust "up top" but not mentioned and like you, the areas around the jacking points on both sides were rusting. I had this done at a local bodyshop that does Aston Martins, Bentleys, E types etc etc and they did a fantastic job for just over £400 so not too bad.

Hope that helps and good luck

Simon

Hi

I purchased my 2002, Imola S3 back at the end of October last year and purchased it from 1 of the online auction sites so it had a very thorough write up and 167 supporting photos which showed absolutely no rust "up top" but not mentioned and like you, the areas around the jacking points on both sides were rusting. I had this done at a local bodyshop that does Aston Martins, Bentleys, E types etc etc and they did a fantastic job for just over £400 so not too bad.

Simon

Blimey ! Where abouts are you Simon ?

That’s not too far I’m Essex London so labours expensive round here

That’s not too far I’m Essex London so labours expensive round here

Might be worth the train ride! The owner is Michael and quite laid back and seems a nice guy and even took me round the workshop. He was doing full body restorations on 2, DB5s, a Bentley S1 and an E type when I went and the quality of the work was amazing. As I live so near he had a look at the car first and the final invoice was slightly higher than the verbal one he gave me at the time but the colour match is spot on and really pleased with the job as he also straightened out the metal around the points as well. He's about a 25 minute drive from Bedford Railway station but if you let me know as happy to assist to and from the station. Good luck

Hi

Simon
Thats a great help Simon thank you.

I`m pleased you were able to sort the car especially having just purchased it. I can imagine that it would not have been pleasant finding that having just bought the car.

I`m expecting / prepared to pay circa £500-600 for a decent job especially if the car is staying so that confirms what i was thinking was in the ball park

Mine do feel like they`re worse than that as the bung fell out on one side so its definately got a hole. I guess it doesnt really make a great deal of difference whether its holed or not. Its still got to be cut out.

I would certainly keep it and get it fixed up. I have recently spent thousands making the underside look factory fresh. Could I suggest that while you are checking the underside out (if you haven't already), take the four arch liners off and check for corrosion there, better to catch it early.
Chris

I would certainly keep it and get it fixed up. I have recently spent thousands making the underside look factory fresh. Could I suggest that while you are checking the underside out (if you haven't already), take the four arch liners off and check for corrosion there, better to catch it early.
Chris
Thanks for the feedback Chris.

Must have taken a lot of work on the underside of the car to get it looking fresh. The effort must be with it though.

The feedback i`ve had from everyone on this has been really helpful and positive and has given me the little push i needed to get the car sorted.

I`ll update the thread once i`ve managed to get the skirts off.

Reactions: danny_dj3