Now for the rear pads and discs!

wyliss

Reaction score
I realise I need the rewinding tool, whats the best make to get?
Also does the B7 have shoes within the rear disc or does the handbrake use the pads within the caliper that I am about to replace?
Cheers

A caliper rewind tool is a caliper rewind tool, no real difference in operation.

I have a Blue-Point one. Ideally you would want a kit which would contain both the clockwise and anti-clockwise wind back tools and a selection of adapters for different vehicles.

Yes, the calipers serve both functions - footbrake and handbrake.

You don't NEED a rewinding tool. A sufficient pry bar will put the piston back - make sure you keep an eye on your brake fluid levels whilst you do it though.

A caliper rewind tool is a caliper rewind tool, no real difference in operation.

I have a Blue-Point one. Ideally you would want a kit which would contain both the clockwise and anti-clockwise wind back tools and a selection of adapters for different vehicles.

Yes, the calipers serve both functions - footbrake and handbrake.
Being specific to my model, and to keep costs down, which direction tool would I need?
TIA

You don't NEED a rewinding tool. A sufficient pry bar will put the piston back - make sure you keep an eye on your brake fluid levels whilst you do it though.
Steve, for the backs you do need the tool as the piston also has to rotate.

When you come to wind them back, unscrew the cap on the brake fluid reservoir otherwise you'll have bigger problems.
Just thought i'd mention to any one doing read brake work. :)

The kit will only be used very very occasionally so I can't justify the cost. Maybe a second hand set?

Any rear calliper which the vehicle as abs needs the tool to force the piston in...this is how the self adjuster works, some folk have used a large g clamp to do the job in the past

caliper rewind tool for vw/Audi is about £13 from amazon