Nothing to do with my S3 but what do you think? (BMW i3)

Kugaman1

Reaction score
My wife drives a new shape 2015 Polo GTI which we bought on a bit of a whim when looking to replace her Polo 1.2 R Line.

Anyway, it wasnt really a good choice for her needs, as she does very few miles- so we've decided to chop it in before it loses too much and just did a nice deal on this......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440624264958357

Its got 19" alloys, pro nav/media, internet, pre heating interior, fast charge prep, etc....very well specced and does 0-60 almost as fast as the Polo GTI.

Took a test drive in one and the rest is history.....very, very impressed with how it drives.....a nice Town car which means the s3 can do the longer runs!

What do you think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440624523764397

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440624541789177

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ, mr gee, Blackwhite and 1 other person
Intresting....

Looked at one of these to replace my company car and found it a bit too compromised for day to day use, especially if you are doing anything more than town driving. Wonderful tech however and a real statement. I've gone off BMW's of late but I really loved the i3. Is it a REX?

I'm seriously considering the Golf GTE now. It's just that bit more "normal" if not a bit boring (pic below).

What I will say is these hybrids can "feel" as fast as an S3 to keep it on topic. I know they are not but it does make me wonder what the next gen S3 will use for its power....
cdc04c14c5d9ec591818057fb8dec8ab.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Blackwhite
Intresting....

Looked at one of these to replace my company car and found it a bit too compromised for day to day use, especially if you are doing anything more than town driving. Wonderful tech however and a real statement. I've gone off BMW's of late but I really loved the i3. Is it a REX?

I'm seriously considering the Golf GTE now. It's just that bit more "normal" if not a bit boring (pic below).

What I will say is these hybrids can "feel" as fast as an S3 to keep it on topic. I know they are not but it does make me wonder what the next gen S3 will use for its power....
cdc04c14c5d9ec591818057fb8dec8ab.jpg
The cousin to veeeight's Golf R !

Reactions: Jassyo06, Pulp84 and veeeight
No, its not REX..... That would have added £2500 to the price and considering it will barely ever go anywhere more than 30 miles away, it seemed an un-necessary expense. Also, as it has DC prep she can charge it up to 80% charge in 25 mins at a charging station located a mile from the house and currently its totally free.

Have to say, both my wife and I loved it within 2 mins of driving it! So incredibly quick but with no soundtrack!! The business HD nav screen is stunning, although totally wasted in a town car..... Maybe rip it out and try to Evostick it into my S3!

Whatever you do, don't let your other half's drive one.... Could be an expensive present!!

Reactions: Pulp84
Hey "K" If the shoe fits...? Drive it mate or in this case,Er Indoors,Funky,Fruity.........Rare

No, its not REX..... That would have added £2500 to the price and considering it will barely ever go anywhere more than 30 miles away, it seemed an un-necessary expense. Also, as it has DC prep she can charge it up to 80% charge in 25 mins at a charging station located a mile from the house and currently its totally free.

Have to say, both my wife and I loved it within 2 mins of driving it! So incredibly quick but with no soundtrack!! The business HD nav screen is stunning, although totally wasted in a town car..... Maybe rip it out and try to Evostick it into my S3!

Whatever you do, don't let your other half's drive one.... Could be an expensive present!!

Did something very similar to you when getting Mrs Pulp a cheap run around (link below). Only difference is it cost me £12k after discount and OLEV grant. You went the "luxury" option ;)

It is rediculous how much money you save with these things when used for short commutes and town driving.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mrs-pulps-s3-replacement.242489/#post-2434087

Hmm, missus aint a fan of French cars....wish she was as the i3 was a bit more than £12k...mind you, the 170bhp was also a factor in the descision

Reactions: Pulp84
Hmm, missus aint a fan of French cars....wish she was as the i3 was a bit more than £12k...

Sorry, it was £10.5k actually :sunglasses:

Its crazy how cheap they are considering they rapid charge in 40 mins and regularly getting 100 miles out of it per charge too. The spec is good too on the old ZOE.

I love the i3 but that lush carbon fibre shell comes at a price....its also the future IMO

Last edited:
Have to say, both my wife and I loved it within 2 mins of driving it! So incredibly quick but with no soundtrack!!
The soundtrack is my sticking point with electric cars - When working for a power company many years ago, I test drove a Daihatsu Charade they had converted to a full electric car for research (the hood and rear hatch were full of batteries - and with 2 passengers it was at almost max. GVM).

The lack of any sound, I didn't like. If cars were only a means of transport - who cares. But if the car doesn't have a decent soundtrack, then I think its missing something.

Reactions: veeeight
The soundtrack is my sticking point with electric cars - When working for a power company many years ago, I test drove a Daihatsu Charade they had converted to a full electric car for research (the hood and rear hatch were full of batteries - and with 2 passengers it was at almost max. GVM).

The lack of any sound, I didn't like. If cars were only a means of transport - who cares. But if the car doesn't have a decent soundtrack, then I think its missing something.

I agree. Inevitably electric cars in some form will be the future. Unless hydrogen becomes more viable - though even that current technology is simply to generate electricity (I think).

One day my signature might say " 2030 Audi S3 500kW. Auto Parking, Auto Steering, Auto Driving, Satellite TV, TV Recording, 20GB/s mobile data"

Reactions: CHEZ
I agree. Inevitably electric cars in some form will be the future. Unless hydrogen becomes more viable - though even that current technology is simply to generate electricity (I think).

One day my signature might say " 2030 Audi S3 500kW. Auto Parking, Auto Steering, Auto Driving, Satellite TV, TV Recording, 20GB/s mobile data"

probably, but the sad bit might be when you can pick your engine sound and the cars computer will pretend its got an ICE and vary the completely fake engine sound according to the throttle position.. :weary:

Reactions: Ignition1
probably, but the sad bit might be when you can pick your engine sound and the cars computer will pretend its got an ICE and vary the completely fake engine sound according to the throttle position.. :weary:

That would be horrendous.

Perhaps in future we'll be saying "ooo...that car has a nice whine".

I can only imagine fake engine sounds would vary depending on how expensive the car is. Plus you know someone will VCDS that system and make the car sound like a Lambo, or better - a clown car?

Last edited by a moderator:
then again you could just buy one of these !

The SoundRacer invention
Never before has it been so easy and affordable to make a car feel as a muscle car.

Set up in a minute, easy as 1-2-3 and then you are ready to enjoy the fun and excitement of hearing the impressive engine sounds of a famous sports car.

SR_incar.jpg
1. Plug in the SoundRacer in the car 12V/cigarette lighter socket.
FM_stereo.jpg
2. Find a free FM frequency on the car stereo and set the SoundRacer to the same frequency. You can also connect to the radio AUX input.
2600.jpg
3. Start engine and make a short revv to about 3000 rpm and down. Three beeps will indicate that SoundRacer have synchronized with the car engine rpm.

Now you are ready to go!

SoundRacer works fine in almost all cars: Gasoline, diesel, flexifuel, manual, automatic but not in hybrids and electric vehicles (see EVEESS for these). Check our list of tested cars for compatibility.

Customer comment February 2015:
Mini Cooper 1.6lt 4 cyl. Worked fantastically. I couldn't believe how well. I took my friend out for a ride and he knew nothing about it. When I started the engine and he heard the V8 lope, he broke out in laughter. During the drive he kept laughing and could not get the smile off his face. Even today, weeks later, we re-live that first moment and the laughter starts again. It's just so strange to hear that sound coming from one of the smallest cars there is.

Reactions: Ignition1
What. :haha:

I'm tempted to buy one...(the youtube vid below is hilarious).

http://www.universalstore.uk/produc...-car-gadget-fm-transmitter?variant=1033585469

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

TURN YOUR CAR INTO A V8 I DID!!
Ben Ashdown on Feb 22, 2015
My Dad is a car fanatic, perfect Christmas present!
Before buying this product, I had researched into the sound racer too a great length as I wanted to buy the right one. A colleague of mine first introduced me to this nifty piece of kit by showing me a YouTube video of the V8 version in action. Head to this link to check it out:

I had read many reviews from people who had purchased to V10 and V12 turn's out the it didn't work as well as the V8 and they didn't think it was as fun. The bloodthirsty raw of a V8 Shelby does sound exciting.... and guess what, it is!
I would say though if you are to purchase this too use with an efficient engine it will struggle to work as the Sound racer will only kick in once you reach 2500 revs. It also is not compatible with Electric or hybrid cars. We tried this out in a Citroen DS3 Sport 150+ brake however driving normally it didn't kick in unless you put your foot down. Then it was tried on a Peugeot 107, SO MUCH FUN! Bringing the youth back without forking out loads. With good speakers/sub would make your experience unbelievable.

Reactions: mfl
I just don't know whether to laugh or cry..... but the s**t stir value is immense

I'd act normal.

"Err mate...you said it's a 1.4?" - "yeah it is...what's your point?"

I'd act normal.

"Err mate...you said it's a 1.4?" - "yeah it is...what's your point?"
absolutely, the idea was sound like a V8, not go like one - after all a stock VK V8 Commodore only had 127kw !

absolutely, the idea was sound like a V8, not go like one - after all a stock VK V8 Commodore only had 127kw !

That's...surprising. 127kw from a V8? Didn't know it was possible to get that low.

That's...surprising. 127kw from a V8? Didn't know it was possible to get that low.
oh yeah, it was back in the era of dumb emission controls, although the Brock Commodore, I owned had 200kw - compared to the stock 127.

• Holden Commodore SL Sedan 5.0 Litre V8 Tri-Matic (VK), manufactured or sold in 1985, version for Australia
  • 4-door sedan body type
  • RWD (rear-wheel drive), automatic 3-speed gearbox
  • petrol (gasoline) engine with displacement: 5044 cm3 / 307.8 cui, advertised power: 126 kW / 169 hp / 171 PS ( DIN ), Torque net: 361 Nm / 266 lb-ft

The i3 were buying actually has a sound generator fitted as an £80 extra?

Im struggling to find anything about it, as its a relatively new option.....apparently it sounds like a turbine.

Salesman says this is going to be law from the end of 2017 as too many pedestrians are being hit by electric cars cause they dont hear um!

Hmm, look at the battery hire.....

ZOE monthly payment of £75 per month excludes mandatory battery hire from £45 per month, based on 750 miles per calendar quarter, excess mileage 30p per mile including VAT.

Could work out expensive....

750 miles a quarter then 30p a mile after....howlysheet

That's gone up!

Mine is £25 a month for 3,000 miles P.A