Note to self, never buy a " complete kit " ever again.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really guys, having just wasted 5 hours removing my exisiting front brake setup and pretty well all most done fitting my brembo 18z's only to find that the so called " all you need kit" to fit the big brembo's to my B7 wont work......
discs fitted fine, but when it comes to bolting the calipers on , no way , the nuts wont fit within the disc recess , even if I used thinner ones without the nylock they will still catch on the outside edge of the disc recess, not a happy chappy frankly, had to then spend ages reinstating all my old setup...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
It really anyoys me when someone sell a kit that is suppose to be the one stop fitting solution for a B7 and then it doesn't work....
Any suggestions on a solution chaps.

rob

Miss representation on the sellers part, I'd be after my money back plus compensation for your time, or tell them you have paid a mechanic to do the work.

did you get from the guy in Southampton that advertises on ebay

I emailed him and said the bolts need to be 10mm longer, even bigger issue i had was the vibration that the discs casused as it includes plastic spigots which didnt do anything.

The pedal travelled further so I sold the calipers and pads and still have discs to flog

Decided to go for a proper AP kit to fit that also is perfect for MC

hurricane customs?

I suggest you change the bolts for longer ones (i did) also you will need some alminium spigots cause you just get vibration, then theres the pedal travel to resolve ( to long for me, but some people arnt that worried)

My race car pedal is solid and that has AP 6 pots with a pedal box

What bolt came with the kit? I had similar installed on my A4 and here are the bolts I used. The clearance was about 1.5mm between inside edge of the disc and nut. And that included the washers on the inside as well. Also, what discs are you using?
6dd8b95b96cf996c3060fe242afbe689.jpg
f615403adf02cc61f82a19522cf52b1f.jpg

What bolt came with the kit? I had similar installed on my A4 and here are the bolts I used. The clearance was about 1.5mm between inside edge of the disc and nut. And that included the washers on the inside as well. Also, what discs are you using?
6dd8b95b96cf996c3060fe242afbe689.jpg
f615403adf02cc61f82a19522cf52b1f.jpg

did you fit the calipers first then wangle the disc into place.

hurricane customs?

I suggest you change the bolts for longer ones (i did) also you will need some alminium spigots cause you just get vibration, then theres the pedal travel to resolve ( to long for me, but some people arnt that worried)

My race car pedal is solid and that has AP 6 pots with a pedal box

yes it was them.
bolts look to be ok when dry fitted to the disc of the car , 5mm gap from disc surface to bolt head top, but when on the car they are hitting the disc and the disc cannot be tightened up flush ...
pic.
this is this morning , as you can see they should fit fine, but in practice they don't fit anything like this.
IMG 20170226 120434
IMG 20170226 120543
IMG 20170226 120549

they are M-tech discs 345, no other info came with them.

is the bore larger on the disc than the hub bore? If so they are the ML55, this caused me vibration, the spigots he sent were a waste of time

Bore size on the ml55 discs should be 67mm, so 1mm smaller than the Audi.

is the bore larger on the disc than the hub bore? If so they are the ML55, this caused me vibration, the spigots he sent were a waste of time
yep, sent me two green spigot rings, seems like a bit of a mickey mouse fix to the problem.

Yep Micky mouse

Maybe not ML55 but there were 3mm difference so supplied with spigots that were not really fit for purpose

I just couldn't be bothered in the end, more bolts, spigots and long pedal travel

That's why I decided to go for a proper set up with AP's

I think its the top hat part of the disc that is causing the problem, its almost as if they are too deep and as such are too far inwards hence why they jamm onto the bolt heads etc...cant see any other cause ...

The overall height of the disc is 4mm higher than the STD disc, so will sit 4mm closer to the upright. How much clearance do you need? I may be able to get some shoulder bolts from work.

just been out and double checked the disc diameter, they are not 345mm , measure clearly reads 350mm x 32, I suppose that moves the goal post now.
seller said they were 345mm.

just searched the webby again, found the discs they supplied..
are they what I really need or are they the problem after all.
Mtech1

That wouldn't be helping mate, it is the correct diameter disc for the calipers at 350mm, but the extra overall height is going up by another 3.5mm.

It's the ml55 class from model year 1998 to 2005 that you need I believe at 345mm

thanks chap, just really annoyed as the seller listed items at specific sizes then sends out something else, which may or maynot be suitable, since I don't know this I relied on them to supply me the bits that do the job correctly , not nearly correctly.
Thanks for the info chap .