Not the best publicity in the world

You can imagine what was going on between the S3 and RS3 drivers...

I must admit, since becoming an Audi driver I do feel much more hated on the roads. I guess **** like this is the reason why :/

Driving back from Plymouth to Wiltshire today had no issues.

Seem to get a few admiring glances though. Can't say I've had any bad experiences in 3 years of Audi motoring.

Thank goodness the price on an Audi is way outside the price range of boy racers, $65k for an S3 SB vs just under $40k for a WRX which was the weapon of choice for boy racers.

Since I moved from Mondeo to A3, I have become even more aware of giving way for pedestrians and other traffic. I am not going to be the one to support a possible prejudice of Audi drivers being selfish p*****.

Reactions: warren_S5, Ashmcblue, cemerson and 1 other person
Since I moved from Mondeo to A3, I have become even more aware of giving way for pedestrians and other traffic. I am not going to be the one to support a possible prejudice of Audi drivers being selfish p*****.

Same here, moved from a Focus to an A3 and I'm not changing who I am because of it. I'm still the same courteous driver as before.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Cleggy70
Same here, moved from a Focus to an A3 and I'm not changing who I am because of it. I'm still the same courteous driver as before.

I doubt its linked to one make or model, you can see that behaviour from people who drive cheapo cars all the way to the super cars, but as you've alluded too, it comes down to the person, ie if they are a courteous person (like yourself) or a complete moron.

Ironically, I've always found Mondeo and Focus drivers to be amongst some of the worst. :lmfao:

Although, when I was a Focus owner, it was Audi's that were amongst the top three makes of cars that were the worst. The only reason that the Ford's stand out is because there are a hell of a lot more of them...

The Audi S3 and RS3 are superb motorcars providing safe all weather abilities.

I've had my RS3 for 3-years and an S3 for 8-years before that and a Quattro TT roadster along side and always with trouble free motoring, so like everyone else here, we know it is NOT the car.

My deepest sympathies to the families of those in that Vauxhall Corsa.

Reactions: r15wne and The Challinor
It's not the car.

It's the driver.

Reactions: jojo, r15wne, Jerodequin and 1 other person
Agree with Veeeight.

So sad to hear about the Corsa occupants. Wrong place and wrong time but ultimately the only right place for that sort of racing is on a track.

Reactions: steeve and The Challinor
I also extend my condolences to the two killed in the Corsa (and shame on me for not putting that in my original post).

Reactions: The Challinor
Agree with Veeeight.

So sad to hear about the Corsa occupants. Wrong place and wrong time but ultimately the only right place for that sort of racing is on a track.

No, the Corsa occupants were in the right place, right time, those two Audis were in the wrong place for what they were doing, if the reports are correct and that they were indeed racing, then what they were doing, there is never a right time and place for that on public roads.

It makes me angry when you read stuff like that, there will be a family shattered, grieving for the lost of loved ones for something that should have never happened.

Reactions: steeve, bobinder, The Challinor and 1 other person
Don't think the company car market does Audi owners any particular favours as I see a lot of Audi's latched on to the back bumpers of other cars and quite often they have Arval plate surrounds.

A terrible situation, I hope the people responsible get a proportionately painful sentence for all the pain and heartache they've caused other families.

Longy

I am sorry that your interpretation of my post made you angry. Ultimately I think we are saying the same thing but in different ways (as I did state that if they wanted to race, it should be on a track) though yours being less open to any misinterpretation of intention than mine

John.

Don't think the company car market does Audi owners any particular favours as I see a lot of Audi's latched on to the back bumpers of other cars and quite often they have Arval plate surrounds.

A terrible situation, I hope the people responsible get a proportionately painful sentence for all the pain and heartache they've caused other families.

What does that have to do with anything?

Read post #1 first line, 'why do Audi drivers get a bad press'.....

But what's wrong with having company car drivers? Do they not earn the right to one? I have my Audi through a company car scheme and could have if I wanted to have gone private instead - doesn't make it any lesser of a purchase.

As a company car driver myself, I know than I am cushioned from the harsh financial penalties I would suffer if I was an owner-driver.
I could write off my car and the only cost would be £350. The company take care of the rest.
I don't have an NCD to worry about, and I know I'll just get a new car from the fleet managers.

This is no way condones the abysmal driving practices that can be seen on the roads nowadays.
As one of the benefits my fleet management offers, I have undergone defensive driver training, and a couple of sessions on a skidpan.
The defensive driver course is based around Roadcraft, which, as well as the Highway Code, should be mandatory reading for every driver.
It's not always easy to apply Roadcraft, but at least you will understand the risks of not applying it.

Reactions: warren_S5
But what's wrong with having company car drivers?

Nothing when they don't drive like a c**t; don't tell me your car has an Arval plate....oh you do.

In fact I'll elaborate further, I speak to a lot of people about driving and the amount of people who specifically raise to me (as they know I moderate on here), why do Audi company car drivers drive like ******s, and I have to try and field the question as people think I will have some special answer. I don't, but I see it for myself on a regular occasion. I've not said all, I've not said 'you', I'm implying some, so if you're not one of the some you wont need to take offense.

Reactions: T-800
But what's wrong with having company car drivers? Do they not earn the right to one? I have my Audi through a company car scheme and could have if I wanted to have gone private instead - doesn't make it any lesser of a purchase.

The argument is not CC vs Owner-driver. The whole thrust of this thread is to show how the actions of some Audi drivers tend to make people think we are all like that.

When the Police introduced unmarked BMWs on the M4 there was a story went round that one of them followed another driver for many miles in the outside lane and tried to get them to move over. It was only when they turned the blue lights on the other driver pulled over.
When asked why he wouldn't pull across, he is reported to have replied "I thought you were just another t@sser in a BMW".

And so are reputations formed.

Reactions: Cleggy70 and warren_S5
Interesting figures re breakdown of retail vs fleet cars.

From a VW retailer (the Audi figures aren't going to be wildly different)

In 2013, the dealer sold approx 8,000 units last year.
2,000+ retail/demonstrator/used/pre-reg.
5,000+ fleet.

Reactions: warren_S5
Interesting figures re breakdown of retail vs fleet cars.

From a VW retailer (the Audi figures aren't going to be wildly different)

In 2013, the dealer sold approx 8,000 units last year.
2,000+ retail/demonstrator/used/pre-reg.
5,000+ fleet.

And therein probably lies the answer, you will get some who drive it like a hire car whilst others will cherish it like an owned vehicle. I think Audi drivers get a disproportionately bad rep ever since the advent of LED highlights (seemed to coincide with bad rep transferring from Bimmer drivers). Either way I now try extra hard to be courteous on the roads as I want to shock people into realising there are respectful Audi drivers out there and the more that do it the more it flies in the likes of Clarkson and his negative views.

Whatever the outcome, there is always going to be a time when you own a nice car that you're going to feel like you want to put your foot down, I'm exactly the same, we should all make sure that we enjoy our cars responsibly, keep them in the best possible condition (roadworthy-wise), and always look to invest some money in driving training throughout our adult lives as anyone can inadvertently pick up bad habits.

Whether it be road cyclists, bikers, other cars, pedestrians or otherwise we need to be on the look out more than ever and proactively assessing the risks / environment as we drive, not like the two clowns who had this fatal accident (incidentally probably not company car drivers).

Reactions: Pulp84 and alistairm1
The bad reputation transferring from Audi to BMW is entirely down to Top Gear. It's still the BMWs that are tossers most of the time when I'm driving around. Probably because BMW pay some money to Top Gear or something. Just like how they are so against electric vehicles, perpetuating the same tired old myths about them, until you realise that Top Gear (the production company, not the TV show... because that would be against BBC rules) are sponsored by Shell Oil.

My company only allows VW, MINI, Citroen, Toyota, Ford, Lexus and Mercedes Benz as company cars on our scheme.

Audi at the time of the scheme being created didn't get a look in as they would not provide the discounts needed (they focus on smaller, less than 100 car schemes) and the emissions figures across the range were not great.

I would say 90% opt for BMW (me included) because they are a good on the emissions and fuel Economy and give the right impression with clients (most) of the time.

Wouldn't say I have seen any worsening in how people drive their cars now they are all in BMW's. So the whole conjecture around how people drive because of the car I just don't buy.

This accident (like many) has so many variables - road conditions, personality of the people driving, testosterone etc - but only they can choose how they drive the car. The car only responds to the commands of a human. Condolences to families involved.

The bad reputation transferring from Audi to BMW is entirely down to Top Gear. It's still the BMWs that are tossers most of the time when I'm driving around. Probably because BMW pay some money to Top Gear or something. Just like how they are so against electric vehicles, perpetuating the same tired old myths about them, until you realise that Top Gear (the production company, not the TV show... because that would be against BBC rules) are sponsored by Shell Oil.

True,

People do say Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

I however never feel the need to love up to a reputation.

True,

People do say Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

I however never feel the need to love up to a reputation.

I have an Audi , BMW and a white van........ Guess that makes me an even bigger **** than company car drivers lol ( wind up)

Ps I have noticed people let me out more or give way when I'm in the m3 , when I'm in the audi it's only other audi drivers who are courteous .......

Sean

I have an Audi , BMW and a white van........ Guess that makes me an even bigger **** than company car drivers lol ( wind up)

Ps I have noticed people let me out more or give way when I'm in the m3 , when I'm in the audi it's only other audi drivers who are courteous .......

Sean

Yer, the Audi code is a strong one !

Couple killed 'after Audi drivers smashed into them during race' | Mail Online

Makes it even worse reading the story in even more detail on Daily Mail. So sad.

Nice to see another newspaper full of facts, they got the 0-60 wrong but that's just me being anal.

If they were side by side must have clearly been racing, sounds like the Corsa pulled out and the 2 Audi's had no chance to brake in time.

It does make you think though what really happend and if the Corsa did look before pulling out, as you should notice 2 Audi's side by side travelling at speed.

Regardless it's a terrible event and clearly the S3 and RS3 should not have been doing what they were doing.

After reading the more recent articles on it, I hope they come down hard on the drivers. Racing on a public road like that is just massively irresponsible - though I'm sure I don't need to say that on here! Whether the Corsa pulled out in front of them or not is irrelevant - had they been sticking to the speed limit (which on that bit of road is 50) it's likely the couple would still be alive.

Definitely. You shouldn't be able to kill 2 people and not escape a jail sentence!