Not sure what size wheels to go for!?

craig20102010

Reaction score
Iv been looking at photos of wheels now for a while for my A6 Avant 3.0 quattro.

I can't decide if I want 19 or 20" wheels.

Iv looked at all sorts of wheels and some look ok and acceptable in 19 and some look alot better as 20"

Iv looked at the v5 alloys that Audi do and they look very nice even in a 19" wheel.

I currently have 18" alloys on with very fat tyres and it's the large tyre side wall I'm trying to get rid of without compromising the ride too much.

My guess is I need to go for 9j wide to prevent rubbing and an offset of et35?

What would people recommend them selves? Photos will help massively.

Iv looked through the photos on here and some people havnt mentioned their sizes so I'm none the wiser on what looks better.

I really like the Riviera rv135 but I think I'd have to have them in 20" for the best effect. They are very pricey though at £700 for the wheels so i might need to get saving as I want decent tyres as well.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If fuel economy is not an issue, then go 20", it looks sooo much better, at the expense of a few mpg and ride comfort. I've just pit my 19" winters back on yesterday, and welcome back comfy ride!

If fuel economy is not an issue, then go 20", it looks sooo much better, at the expense of a few mpg and ride comfort. I've just pit my 19" winters back on yesterday, and welcome back comfy ride!
See I used to have a vectra and that had 19" on and when I switched back to 16" in the winter I didn't notice any difference in ride comfort and my mpg was worse because there was more rubber. It might of also been down to they were winter tyres so they were softer. Current tyres I'll be looking to get are rated B accross the board and 69db for 20" so that's pretty good.

also will these wheels fit?

This is what im looking to buy at the moment. I want only genuine if i can help it.

These have ET 37 and they are 9J wide. Not sure what the centre bore size is? is this anything i should be checking?

cheers

Attachments

• audi-rs4-wheels-on-b6-audi-rs4.jpg
    audi-rs4-wheels-on-b6-audi-rs4.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 2,770
See I used to have a vectra and that had 19" on and when I switched back to 16" in the winter I didn't notice any difference in ride comfort and my mpg was worse because there was more rubber. It might of also been down to they were winter tyres so they were softer. Current tyres I'll be looking to get are rated B accross the board and 69db for 20" so that's pretty good.

Which Hector was that ?

Nothing strange , Ford Fester , Fiat Oh No , Renault Migraine etc .
I've never had anyone talk to me in riddles before but it was a vectra c if that's what your talking about.

The A & B definately would explain the inability to diffenciate from 16 - 19 " as their suspension is incredibly disconnected .

Can't comment on the C .

The A & B definately would explain the inability to diffenciate from 16 - 19 " as their suspension is incredibly disconnected .

Can't comment on the C .
Suspension was changed completely anyway to jom coilovers and they worked very well for a cheap coilover. I had a few people comment on how comfortable the ride was with my 19" wheels on. So for me I just thought it was normal.

So I'm guessing going from my 18 to 20" I'm going to notice a big difference and probably for the worse.

I think for me it's more about the look. I don't mind the stiff ride as long as it remains comfortable and not crashy but I am sticking with the standard s line suspension so I'm hoping that will help.

Iv not seen many a6 avants with 19" wheels on in the flesh and for me it seems a bit pointless spending £1k on wheels for one extra inch but that depends I guess on how it looks afterwards.

also will these wheels fit?

This is what im looking to buy at the moment. I want only genuine if i can help it.

These have ET 37 and they are 9J wide. Not sure what the centre bore size is? is this anything i should be checking?

cheers

You need 66.6mm centre bore and 5x112 stud pattern. I’m running ET35 20x9j, so ET37 will be fine. :)

Reactions: craig20102010
You need 66.6mm centre bore and 5x112 stud pattern. I’m running ET35 20x9j, so ET37 will be fine. :)
Thank bud. Very helpful. So do you recon them wheels im looking at are 66.6 centre bore?

What are the other centre bore sizes that it could be?

I changed mine from the standard 18" on my 2.0tdi ultra sline to 20" rs6 wheels, didn't find any difference in the overall ride comfort, the car actually feels more planted on the toad with the 20" and looks a lot better imo. you can see both sets of wheels on in the pics thread.

I changed mine from the standard 18" on my 2.0tdi ultra sline to 20" rs6 wheels, didn't find any difference in the overall ride comfort, the car actually feels more planted on the toad with the 20" and looks a lot better imo. you can see both sets of wheels on in the pics thread.
Thanks bud that's very helpful. I can't see it feeling much different other then more stable. I'm just trying to sort out a set of wheels and hoping they are the correct bore size.

Drive it for a while, then go back to the 18s, it’s a noticeable difference.... at least on my BiTDi it is. The throttle response is different also. The weight difference between each wheel is a few kgs each off the top of my head, but the rotation mass is different.

Reactions: Gazwould
Some people won't feel it because they lack nerve endings .

It's a physical weight difference that has a 4x ? effect .

With the wheels you gain weight which the dampers can't dampen so accurately giving a poorer ride , then there's the tyre profile height loss .

You can't get away from physics , I noticed a difference just going from 16 to 17" .

With what I'm doing the overall diameter of the wheel is actually a little bit less. I'm just reducing rubber and replacing it with alloy instead. This is to make sure that my Speedo and acceleration doesn't change too much. If the wheel is a little bit smaller I should see an increase in acceleration but given that the wheel may be a bit heavier then I may loose some.

Less tyre will mean less comfort but the difference I think is going to be hardly noticeable. Maybe I have no nerve endings either, lucky me..

When I do eventually get round to changing them I'll let you know if my nerve endings are intact lol.

I may even just stick 19" on yet. But I think my heart is stuck on the 20"

Out of interest what size are you running?

Another factor is how new/ mileage on the dampers as to their damping ability with the greater weight .

Just to make clear I noticed the difference between the two with just months old new Eibach and Bilstien suspension .

I Have an S6, came with 19s but had to get 20s on it, 9j et35 with 265/35R20 Tyres, in my biased opinion they are perfect, fill the arches in but don't stick out too far. Its back on the 19s just now with winter tyres.

I Have an S6, came with 19s but had to get 20s on it, 9j et35 with 265/35R20 Tyres, in my biased opinion they are perfect, fill the arches in but don't stick out too far. Its back on the 19s just now with winter tyres.
And has the ride changed at all? Or not that you can really tell the difference?

And has the ride changed at all? Or not that you can really tell the difference?

I would say slightly, feels slightly more firm but also feels as if it handles better too, but I also have the air suspension and have it in dynamic mode 90% of the time, as this also lowers the ride height. if I put it in comfort mode I can tell the difference between that and dynamic mode but still happy to run with it in dynamic mode most of the time, I put it in comfort or economy mode when I am on the motorway only.

I would say slightly, feels slightly more firm but also feels as if it handles better too, but I also have the air suspension and have it in dynamic mode 90% of the time, as this also lowers the ride height. if I put it in comfort mode I can tell the difference between that and dynamic mode but still happy to run with it in dynamic mode most of the time, I put it in comfort or economy mode when I am on the motorway only.
So is yours the allroad then? I'm still tempted to get some 20" it's just everytime I ask someone who's selling a set what the centre bore size is they havnt got a clue what I'm talking about. So I don't end up getting them.

N
So is yours the allroad then? I'm still tempted to get some 20" it's just everytime I ask someone who's selling a set what the centre bore size is they havnt got a clue what I'm talking about. So I don't end up getting them.

No, mine is an S6 saloon. My wheels are aftermarkets, as the genuine 20" Audi rims are 8.5j et 43, so mine fill the arches much better than the originals and no need for spacers, the wheels were approx. 550, plenty sets on eBay and at that price I am actually thinking of buying another set in March to fit, just for a change in style. Will try and put a pic up of my car later, but at work abroad just now and its not the best internet for uploading stuff. Also if you buy new on Ebay you will get exact dimensions from the sellers, so you know they will fit.

N

No, mine is an S6 saloon. My wheels are aftermarkets, as the genuine 20" Audi rims are 8.5j et 43, so mine fill the arches much better than the originals and no need for spacers, the wheels were approx. 550, plenty sets on eBay and at that price I am actually thinking of buying another set in March to fit, just for a change in style. Will try and put a pic up of my car later, but at work abroad just now and its not the best internet for uploading stuff. Also if you buy new on Ebay you will get exact dimensions from the sellers, so you know they will fit.
I was affraid of buying aftermarkets off eBay incase of strength issues with them being such a large wheel. I'll look out for your picture of your new wheels. I'd prefer to buy new but I don't fancy spending £1k+ just on the wheels.

Depending on where you are you should have an aftermarket wheel dealer near you I went to Skidz in Falkirk to buy mine, was good as they let me try a wheel on with a 255/35R20 tyre that they fitted to the rim and for me. The tyre was not wide enough for the rim so I could see I needed to go with 265/35R20s, they got me correct Audi rated Pirellis in and all fitted, balanced and fitted to the car, even took the tyres off my 19" wheels so I could get winter tyres on them at my leisure, also managed to haggle with them a bit and got the complete package for 1200 if I remember correctly.
The wheels I bought are the exact same as available on eBay, been on the car for over 12000 miles including a 3000 mile trip to France in that period, no issues at all, only took them off last week to fit the winters, tyres still in mint condition and one wheel with a slight graze that the Mrs kindly put on for me about 4 months ago! lol

Depending on where you are you should have an aftermarket wheel dealer near you I went to Skidz in Falkirk to buy mine, was good as they let me try a wheel on with a 255/35R20 tyre that they fitted to the rim and for me. The tyre was not wide enough for the rim so I could see I needed to go with 265/35R20s, they got me correct Audi rated Pirellis in and all fitted, balanced and fitted to the car, even took the tyres off my 19" wheels so I could get winter tyres on them at my leisure, also managed to haggle with them a bit and got the complete package for 1200 if I remember correctly.
The wheels I bought are the exact same as available on eBay, been on the car for over 12000 miles including a 3000 mile trip to France in that period, no issues at all, only took them off last week to fit the winters, tyres still in mint condition and one wheel with a slight graze that the Mrs kindly put on for me about 4 months ago! lol
I don't know of any around here at the moment that sell aftermarket wheels and that are on show to see but I guess I also presume what ever I can get in the shops I can get cheaper online so I don't bother looking around the local shops.

I was affraid of buying aftermarkets off eBay incase of strength issues with them being such a large wheel. I'll look out for your picture of your new wheels. I'd prefer to buy new but I don't fancy spending £1k+ just on the wheels.

I’ve had well over 10 sets of aftermarket replica wheels over 20 odd years, and never had a problem. Hit any pothole hard enough, even genuine wheels will buckle/crack, I obviously aim to dodge anything that looks suspicious in the middle of the road! Lol

Too many negative stories on the net, someone has to write a positive account of replica wheels! Plus I’ve save hundreds over the years! Usually sell the car on its original wheels aswell, so not an issue for me.

Reactions: craig20102010 and bigchunk
The 35 profile is the correct one for 255 or 265s on 20s, to keep speedo reading correctly etc, honestly not that big in the flesh. I fancy going for the rs6 performance replicas next in March, will see how much cash i have when March comes around!

To keep my Speedo the same as it is now I have to have 245/35/20. That works out slightly smaller then what I have on but only a couple of mm.

I currently have 245/45/18

Yours might be a wee bit different to mines as i had 245/40R19s on to start with, plus mine being the S6. Personally I would not like 245s on 9J rims, not wide enough, so you might be able to do 265/30s that being the case.

Yours might be a wee bit different to mines as i had 245/40R19s on to start with, plus mine being the S6. Personally I would not like 245s on 9J rims, not wide enough, so you might be able to do 265/30s that being the case.
Yeh the S6 does have different size wheels and tyres to the standard A6 or Avant. Iv seen a few wheels with 255/35/20 and they look fine. They work out being a bit bigger than what I have on.

I'll have to see what other people tend to go for with 20s

That's the problem with not being able to see any alloys up close with tyres fitted..

Iv just had a look online and 245 to 255 are the recommended tyre size for a 9j rim so that removes that problem.

Im not a fan of the stretched look.

Any idea what your offset is? I'm looking at some at the moment and they've recommended et42. They are the same as bigchunks the ones I'm looking at.