Not Important Anymore

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
We learned over the weekend that our dog has Cushing's Disease. If you need to know what that is, click here:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

He is eleven years old and already suffers from arthritis, although that had appeared to be improving recently. Now we know why. One of the strange quirks of Cushing's is that it suppresses the effects of arthritis whilst it is gradually destroying everything else. Our choices are as follows:

1) Leave the disease untreated, in which case he will probably live another year to eighteen months in reasonable happiness & comfort before the effects of the disease begin to affect his quality of life to the extent that he will need to be put down; or

2) Put him on daily medication, at a cost of approximately £50 per month, in which case his life expectancy will be extended, but he will suffer much more pain from his arthritis, and for longer, before the effects of the disease begin to affect......etc etc.

Not much of a choice either way, and we've not made any decisions yet. But what I do know is that all of a sudden, I don't give a **** about 16, 17 or 18-inch alloys, MAFs, iPod connectors or whether I should use Meguairs or Mer, because none of it is remotely important.

It's just a fecking piece of metal.

Sorry to hear the bad news always puts thing in prospective when this happens

If i were you i would go with the Second option as i have read the link and by the illustration of the boxer it looks the better option ..have they given you a direct cause of the Cushing's Disease as there seems to be quite a few

Rev-head said:
Sorry to hear the bad news always puts thing in prospective when this happens

If i were you i would go with the Second option as i have read the link and by the illustration of the boxer it looks the better option ..have they given you a direct cause of the Cushing's Disease as there seems to be quite a few

Cheers, both of you guys. We're still waiting for the results of the second set of tests that were done on Saturday. Then we'll know a bit more.

good luck with the test hopefully it will be something that can be treated quickly to improve his way of life for longer

Got to be option 2 in my eyes as you will know when he has had enough, good luck in whatever decison you make but i reckon you will be sick if you choose option 1.

Good luck

I know it's not much consolation but I know exactly what you're going through, Mum had a Westy with Cushings (was treated like she was my sister!). Like CMS put, difficult one but I have to agree with his choice. Puts everything into perspective when summat liike this happens.

Wish you all the luck in the world fella.

Really sorry to hear about this, I think i'd go for whichever option gave the dog the best quality of life to your dog.

wen't through something similar a about ten years back with a retriever and cancer - still think about it now and my folks still have the pictures up round the house, they do become such an important part of the family.

hope it works out for the best

Sorry to hear it Jeff. I have a 1 year old Golden Retriever who was very sick a few weeks back with a Phantom Pregnancy. I've been told that if we breed her (which was the plan) then she may not survive due to her hormonal and internal complications. So the choice for us was easy. Get her extremly fit and then neuter her.

It is a difficult choice for you. I would put the dog on medication and extend it's life as long as it is happy and the pain isn't much. Once it stops being a happy dog then it is time to say goodbye.

Good luck in your decision anyhow.

I think Necroeire is close to the spot, leave the cushing's until it begins to adversely affect his quality of life, then do whats best for him. If he's obviously in discomfort it might be best to have him put to sleep, that way you can remember him as a happy and loving dog, the way he used to be.
Its really hard to see a loved one deteriorate into something you hardly recognise.
I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

Very sorry to hear it and my thoughts go out to you and family. I grew up with dogs (Although she likes dogs if their someone elses, my wife prefers me to have the Audi than a dog Hee Hee) and every time the inevitable occurs, it doesn't get any easier especially when the decision has to be made by you and it's not a natural one.
One was a cocker spaniel and I wont go into fine detail but my mum and sister had to take her to the vet and decided to be with her when the needle was put in. I was told by them (I couldn't face it) just before, Bonnie sat up, scratched her ear as she normally does and just looked at my mum and sister and looked as though she was fine... They knew what was about to happen and wished that there was something that could be done - but we had to think of whats best and least painful.

Very upsetting mate and your right - nothing else seems to be important all of a sudden

Sorry to hear that, got to say option 2 in my mind, and remember to enjoy every day. Very tough on you though.

Thanks all of your guys. The messages are all much appreciated. I know I sometimes put myself out there with some of the miserable ******* stuff I come out with, but it's good to know you're all on side when it matters.

Will let you know what we decide and how it turns out.

We've had a phone conversation with the vet this evening, and it appears the follow-up test that was run on Saturday did not confirm the Cushing's diagnosis.

The vet remains concerned about some of the initial blood test results, in particular the triglycerides, because if they're not pointing to Cushing's as first believed, they must clearly point to something else, such as a tumour in the pancreas.

We are now considering an MRI scan.

jdp1962 said:
We've had a phone conversation with the vet this evening, and it appears the follow-up test that was run on Saturday did not confirm the Cushing's diagnosis.

The vet remains concerned about some of the initial blood test results, in particular the triglycerides, because if they're not pointing to Cushing's as first believed, they must clearly point to something else, such as a tumour in the pancreas.

We are now considering an MRI scan.

I started to read this Jeff and a happy thought for you sprung to my mind (with the test not confirming the cushings) - Immediate reaction that is... however reading on, I guess we all understand the vets concerns and still feel for ya man... If its a tumour - perhaps it can be removed (fingers crossed)

Good luck matey - hope everything goes smooth whatever the outcome (go for the MRI if it makes you feel better - money usually never gets in the way of personal and emotional stuff - we tend to find it from somewhere (i hope this makes sense))

Again good look with this - hopefully things will turn out for the best.

They are certainly part of the family. I can simpathise, our Staffy had to undergo major surgery a couple of years ago, on our Wedding day of all days, we nearly put the wedding off, but the phone call from the vet saying all had gone well was the best wedding gift of all.

Its certainly true that nothing else matters, I didnt even want to know how much the vets bills were going to be. I just told them to do what was necessary and I'd pay at the end. You cant put a price on the big sloppy ******.

He's now fully recovered, just as crackers as ever and maturing gracefully.

Chin up and good luck with it all.