Not Happy, APR stage 2 problems.

Because he'd promised to ring me back before he went home and the guy was still on the phone so couldn't get details. Said the guy also worked from home so he'd still be discussing it tonight with them. He even said they enjoy it when they have problems to solve as it doesn't happen very often. I told him I won't enjoy the bill when they tell me all the work that needs doing. Lol

I would avoid Awesome just cause their dyno is out .

Here's a 105 PD with fantasy figures .

file.php

So what we've learnt is, your image link is as good as awesomes dyno??

The last car I had APR on I was back and forward to Awesome 3 times before I got the correct map.
If you asked for stage 1 then you should've got stage 1. If the car is running a turbo back they should've loaded the stage 1 test pipes file which would stop the warning light coming on for the exhaust.
I also had loads of problems with misfires at approx 5000 rpm and eventually found it was to do with the intake, APR files must be calibrated so tight they cause problems with certain intakes.
I had problems with Forge, ITG, Diblias.
I'm sure Awesome will have tried the car with its standard intake on though.

Reactions: S3Alex
The last car I had APR on I was back and forward to Awesome 3 times before I got the correct map.
If you asked for stage 1 then you should've got stage 1. If the car is running a turbo back they should've loaded the stage 1 test pipes file which would stop the warning light coming on for the exhaust.
I also had loads of problems with misfires at approx 5000 rpm and eventually found it was to do with the intake, APR files must be calibrated so tight they cause problems with certain intakes.
I had problems with Forge, ITG, Diblias.
I'm sure Awesome will have tried the car with its standard intake on though.

I've said this to them and also questioned how they can do a stage 2 map when no such map exists on their website. The guy said I had to have stage 2 as I have the downpipe and its basically a stage 1 but with the downpipe software added to it. I was told it made 337bhp which is exactly the same as stage 1+ he said that stage 2 will make the same peak power as stage 1+ but the plus stands for hpfp and that the torque curve would be different. I.e coming in lower in the rev range. Hope that all made some sense.

I found that stage 2 was missing the torque my stage 1 had.
I did run stage 2 without a hpfp and as I say misfires were caused by intake.
VWR intake is ITG from memory so that's where I'd start

My bets are on the fault code being: Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low - Intermittent which happens @ 5475 rpm.

If so, standard fuel pump is a bit lazy for stage 2's requirement

Well guess what, you were right. I had a phone called off the director of APR UK who is now dealing with me. Seems a decent fella and said once they've checked the fuel pump the US guys want to write me a bespoke map to cut a long story short. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I heard any further news.

Reactions: mister.c.
Stage 2 is tricky to tune for. The airflow available easily overcomes the standard fuel system, and I find every single car is different and so has to be adjusted to suit.

Rick

Reactions: Hookmonster, Smirky and ruairi83
Stage 2 is tricky to tune for. The airflow available easily overcomes the standard fuel system, and I find every single car is different and so has to be adjusted to suit.

Rick
Is it just a case of getting the right mix so it doesn't misfire etc?

It's a case of working to the fuel systems limits - so keeping the boost down in the midrange. If you have a particularly weak fuel pump , this can be identified from the logs and would need changing.

Rick

Reactions: Nick_C and S3Alex
Well guess what, you were right. I had a phone called off the director of APR UK who is now dealing with me. Seems a decent fella and said once they've checked the fuel pump the US guys want to write me a bespoke map to cut a long story short. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I heard any further news.

Knew it would be, misfires have nothing to do with intakes. You should tell him that several people have the problem and APR should make the map available to people on stage 2 who have the misfire problems.

All this messing around with coilpacks and spark plugs is just trying to get around the problem instead of actually fixing the map to request a little less fuel pressure for some of the ageing hpfp's that are out there.

Reactions: downtothebone, S., Sayam and 2 others
Someone I know had similar problems with them........

All of a sudden it was "you'll need a new one of these"

They ended up spending loads on unnecessary parts.

Reactions: S.
It's a case of working to the fuel systems limits - so keeping the boost down in the midrange. If you have a particularly weak fuel pump , this can be identified from the logs and would need changing.

Rick

Exactly....AMD were very good at setting up the Revo map on my car some years ago to avoid any issues.

Their saying it isn't a fault with the fuel pump now and that the ECU requests the fuel correctly when slowly increasing revs but say if you drop it a gear and floor it, it requests a lower amount of fuel causing the misfire. There working on it tonight with APR USA and going to try and write a bespoke map for it and look for any other problems. Failing that I've already told them I'll be taking my car away stock and going else where or maybe even not bother mapping it. All this has really put me off.

Their saying it isn't a fault with the fuel pump now and that the ECU requests the fuel correctly when slowly increasing revs but say if you drop it a gear and floor it, it requests a lower amount of fuel causing the misfire. There working on it tonight with APR USA and going to try and write a bespoke map for it and look for any other problems. Failing that I've already told them I'll be taking my car away stock and going else where or maybe even not bother mapping it. All this has really put me off.

That all sounds like an issue of fuel being requested and delivered quickly enough,with the map being central to that.
Rick would have a far better idea of this than me....hopefully he'd be able to shed some light on their explanation.

I'd be concerned that there writing a map without the car actually being there to test said map , surely for a bespoke map you need the car there to tweek it ????

Rick
I ran.superchips stage 2 for quite a while had no issues with it and haven't with stage 3 either , I no they meant to be conservative Maps could it be that apr are pushing the limits with there generic map chasing figures???
(Need to come see you to map mine )

I ran.superchips stage 2 for quite a while had no issues with it and haven't with stage 3 either , I no they meant to be conservative Maps could it be that apr are pushing the limits with there generic map chasing figures???
(Need to come see you to map mine )

Apr does get very strong figures, I think it's why they have some problems because it's right on the limit.

I'd upgrade the hpfp anyway, your near enough there and the car will be perfect but an absolute animal

Knew it would be, misfires have nothing to do with intakes. You should tell him that several people have the problem and APR should make the map available to people on stage 2 who have the misfire problems..
In a way it is, increased airflow from a better flowing filter will require more fuel to correct the mixture.
Maybe that's why mine was fine on the carbonio but did have issues with a twintake.
I know its inconvenient for you but at least they are working on a solution.

The car is there and their working on it tonight until 10:30pm ish whilst APR USA are open and can connect to the live data logging. Then there going to advise/tweak accordingly.

Reactions: S., S3Alex and xpoweruk
The car is there and their working on it tonight until 10:30pm ish whilst APR USA are open and can connect to the live data logging. Then there going to advise/tweak accordingly.

Good result to be fair, hope it works out for you!

Reactions: Nick_C
. I just thought getting APR would be an in and out job with it being a generic map.

these maps are flashed every day and everyone would have issues if the map was bad.

and I find every single car is different and so has to be adjusted to suit.

Rick

This is why people like Rick, R tech and B5 are so valuable and successful. They acknowledge that every car is different. And not everyone adheres to a software companies requirements.
It's not so much that the tune is bad, it's just not right.

It's a common occurance with ALL software companies banging out generic files even from when that model is launched. Forums are loaded with APR vs REVO vs whatever else because there's thousands accounts of cars that are not happy.

Reactions: S3Alex, S. and Goubo1
Generic files from a broad range of remapping companies are normally great on most cars , but the hardware must be 100% .

Just a quick update. Had a text from the director of APR UK at 11pm last night to say they had just finished working on the car and the adjustments to the software has been successful. They just need to road test it today and they are confident all should be sorted. Can't really argue with that.

Reactions: S3Alex, S., Cambaines and 2 others
Would be interesting to here from them the route cause of the problem, but nice to see they've been proactive in sorting it out.
Let's hope when you get it back you can edit the thread title to Happy!

Reactions: Nick_C and Sandra
Tbh I'm much happier now. Was worried it was going to be something serious and the guy dealing with it just didn't fill me with confidence as he said he'd ring me and didn't etc.

Once the director got involved it's been a completely different story. Called me 4 times yesterday, text last night and rang this morning. Turns out APR USA have never seen anything like it before and have written me a bespoke map last night whilst it was on the rollers. All sorted now and they are happy for me to collect the car tomorrow after they road tested it this morning.

I'll try and get them to email me the full story when I speak to them tomorrow to see if it can help anyone else out with problems.

Reactions: mister.c. and S3Alex
Good to see that it has been sorted. As soon as you drive it with a stage 2 map your realise that it was worth the agro! Good to see awesome and apr being so proactive in sorting it out aswell! :)

Tbh I'm much happier now. Was worried it was going to be something serious and the guy dealing with it just didn't fill me with confidence as he said he'd ring me and didn't etc.

Once the director got involved it's been a completely different story. Called me 4 times yesterday, text last night and rang this morning. Turns out APR USA have never seen anything like it before and have written me a bespoke map last night whilst it was on the rollers. All sorted now and they are happy for me to collect the car tomorrow after they road tested it this morning.

I'll try and get them to email me the full story when I speak to them tomorrow to see if it can help anyone else out with problems.

That's much better.

It's worth going above the locals sometimes and getting straight to someone who will make things happen.
Good result.

Reactions: Nick_C and S.
APR are a forum sponsor. Discussions like this can attract attention from people who can make a difference. Forums become very public places when you type something in Google as a search.
Try typing "APR stage 2 problems" into Google. This thread shows up at number 5 of quite a few hits. If people come here and read the thread they may be heartened to see a good outcome.
The experience you had didn't fit in very well with the corporate philosophy " APR was founded in 1997 with a corporate philosophy of Innovation, Intergrity, and Excellence. APR's Sole Mission is to provide the highest quality and most highly engineered aftermarket performance products available for Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen vehicles."
I hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.

APR are a forum sponsor. Discussions like this can attract attention from people who can make a difference. Forums become very public places when you type something in Google as a search.
Try typing "APR stage 2 problems" into Google. This thread shows up at number 5 of quite a few hits. If people come here and read the thread they may be heartened to see a good outcome.
The experience you had didn't fit in very well with the corporate philosophy " APR was founded in 1997 with a corporate philosophy of Innovation, Intergrity, and Excellence. APR's Sole Mission is to provide the highest quality and most highly engineered aftermarket performance products available for Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen vehicles."
I hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Maybe someone spotted my thread

I've only ever been honest in this thread. Some threads I've read in the past and not necessarily on this forum are just made to slag certain tuners off. I've just passed on my honest impression of what's happened and given credits where it's due.

I hope the other people who say they are having issues with APR stage 2 get it sorted out as I don't see any reason why it can't be after the way they gone out their way to sort my car out. Having said that I'll have to wait until I get my car back.

Reactions: Smirky, S3Alex and Sandra
Apr Maps are not cheap either so it should be like anything else in the retail market
A high end product should come with high end customer service

I think APR have learnt a lot about service over the time since their restructuring,following Mangrove Equity's involvement.

Service and quality are king when it comes to sales.

I'm on APR Stage 2 and I'd be interested to find out if their generic map now needs to be updated in some way.