Not getting a lot of miles from a full tank

Jake12

Reaction score
I've got a 61 plate (2011) Audi A3, 2.0L TDI, automatic (S Tronic).

It's costing around £60 for a full tank and I'm only getting about 365 from a full tank, scraped 400 once but that was with quite a few motorway miles and I haven't exactly got a heavy foot.

Just wondering if it sounds normal and what other people get and if there's anything I can to do improve it.

Thanks

What sort of journeys are you doing? Short/cold? Long/hot?

Varies mate, a lot of the miles are town miles but the occasional longish journey.

I had a Citroen DS3 1.6 diesel before and a full tank was about £45 and was getting in between 500 and 600, doing the same kind of journeys, I understand the Audi is a bigger engine and automatic just seems like it's very thirsty

Your journey types are not allowing the engine to reach optimum temperature, stop/start will use a hell lot more than a steady m'way journey.

Consider getting a petrol model as your journeys don't suit a diesel engine with DPF.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with your car.

Is that averaging about 35mpg then? Im getting about 350 miles out of a tank in my auto s3 with mostly short trips and one or two long ones a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jonisginger
Automatics and 4WD drink more. On my FWD (manual) 2.0 TDI, 170 bhp engine, I can fill up, go on a long motorway trip from Somerset to Yorkshire and my gauge is showing half full on my return after 400 miles. Once the engine is hot, my MPG reading shows 60+ MPG on motorways and 50+ on normal A roads. I have 81,000 on the clock - so not a new engine by any means - I have been reliably told that diesels take about 30,000 to start achieving their max MPG

Reactions: LewMcC
Is that averaging about 35mpg then? Im getting about 350 miles out of a tank in my auto s3 with mostly short trips and one or two long ones a week

Yes mate roughley.

I said to a family member today, by the looks of it I should of brought an S3 cause I couldn't imagine the mileage being much different.

Reactions: LewMcC
Thanks people!

I've only had the car 2 months so I'm just going to have to put up with it for atelast another 10 months!

Yes mate roughley.

I said to a family member today, by the looks of it I should of brought an S3 cause I couldn't imagine the mileage being much different.

I was looking at a diesel to start off with (the 180bhp saloon) but i realised i wasn't doing the mileage and it turned out cheaper to get the S3 so best of both worlds lol

Your journey types are not allowing the engine to reach optimum temperature, stop/start will use a hell lot more than a steady m'way journey.

Consider getting a petrol model as your journeys don't suit a diesel engine with DPF.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with your car.

I disagree. I have a 2.0 TDI 170. My commute is about 2 miles and I get around 500 miles to a tank. That's a mix of driving styles.

I'd say there's something not quite right.

I disagree. I have a 2.0 TDI 170. My commute is about 2 miles and I get around 500 miles to a tank. That's a mix of driving styles.

I'd say there's something not quite right.

Still think you'll have issues with a diesel doing such a short journey...then again you would have issues with a petrol as the oil wouldn't have a chance to get hot...

Have you considered walking...???!

Reactions: Pook, Audi Bairn and Scottyg
Still think you'll have issues with a diesel doing such a short journey...then again you would have issues with a petrol as the oil wouldn't have a chance to get hot...

Have you considered walking...???!

My post wasn't worded well. I was questioning the 'nothing wrong with your car' comment, rather than the comments on the short journey not being suitable for diesels.

I couldn't walk to work because I often bring marking home and there's lots of it! :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, LewMcC and DrEskimo

It's costing around £60 for a full tank and I'm only getting about 365 from a full tank, scraped 400 once but that was with quite a few motorway miles and I haven't exactly got a heavy foot.

Just wondering if it sounds normal and what other people get and if there's anything I can to do improve it.

Thanks

Hi,

i'd say that range was well off.

My 2.0 TDI Quattro 184 bhp with S-tronic always does around 450 mile, maybe a little more if i get it in to the red.

As it is 2011 model, would that also make it an A3 8P, so not sure what bhp that version is, but would off thought a range of 500-550 miles as probably the same common rail engine.

Hi,

i'd say that range was well off.

My 2.0 TDI Quattro 184 bhp with S-tronic always does around 450 mile, maybe a little more if i get it in to the red.

As it is 2011 model, would that also make it an A3 8P, so not sure what bhp that version is, but would off thought a range of 500-550 miles as probably the same common rail engine.
I'm sure it's a 138bhp.

Reactions: TDI-line
I have the 1.6TDI S-tronic and average around 50 mpg day to day. That's on A-roads and lots of B-roads. It sips fuel. From other threads I've read the 2.0ltr tends to be just as good on fuel if not better! I'd say keep an eye on it and see if it improves over time. Remember, it'll be returning extremely poor figures in this cold weather. The engine will definitely not have had a chance to remotely warm up, hence very poor mpg especially roundabout town.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
I have the 1.6TDI S-tronic and average around 50 mpg day to day. That's on A-roads and lots of B-roads. It sips fuel. From other threads I've read the 2.0ltr tends to be just as good on fuel if not better! I'd say keep an eye on it and see if it improves over time. Remember, it'll be returning extremely poor figures in this cold weather. The engine will definitely not have had a chance to remotely warm up, hence very poor mpg especially roundabout town.
Alright mate spot on thanks.

Reactions: Scottyg
Any ideas what to do if it doesn't improve?Should I get it in for a service?

I would say this is normal for the journey types.

I have a 1.6tdi and get 40mpg on short stop/start runs. On a motorway run I will get 60mpg

As others say it's not getting up to temp

Thanks

That's well off what I'd expect. I get close to that out of my S3 and I assume they have the same size petrol tank...

Reactions: jonisginger
I used to get 280 from S3 and I get 480 from my 2.0 tdi Quattro
And now get 220 out of the Rs3

Reactions: TDI-line and LewMcC
Service would be a good starting point which would eliminate possibilities like clogged filters and binding brakes. Also how often do those gearboxes require servicing?

My 1.6tdi was getting low city mpg until she recently had a major service. now returns around 45mpg in town driving opposed to around 35mpg beforehand. motorway and long journeys iv always got 55-62mpg depending how fast i go. iv always seen 490-550miles on the DIS when i fill up. iv never done a full tank of only town driving to know exactly just the town mpg. i would say service her.

If you are solely doing town driving i would also be worried about the DPF getting clogged up. whats the mileage?could it be due to being replaced now? isn't it 80k miles that diesels start to become pricey?

I used to have an '11 plate 8P TDI 2.0L 140bhp SB (FWD) and covered over 100,000 miles from new.

Would regularly get 600 miles per tank (when moderately careful) throughout the whole time I had the car (mixed miles, possible motorway bias).

Lifetime mpg over 55 (calculated from brim to brim, not trip computer).

Getting similar results from the equivalent '65 plate 8V I have now (same spec) over 40,000 miles so far. Although the fuel tank is smaller, so it's much harder to reach 600 from a tank.

How many milea has your car done?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi Jake, I drive a 2011 Golf GTD with DSG, it has the 170PS version of your engine and the same 55L fuel tank. My car usually does over 550 miles per tank. I doubt there is something wrong. Are you buying your diesel from Slippery Sam around the back of the chippy?

Here is a photo I took last week just after filling up...

MPG

The 1.6TDI only has a 10 gallon tank. I think the 2.0ltr has an option to get the larger tank?
The previous models all had 55L or 12 gallon tanks (imperial). In the new models based on the VAG MQB platform, only cars fitted with quattro have a 55L tank. All other cars have a 50L tank.