Not enough MPG????

manj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering how much mpg you guys get from your diesel A3's?? I have a 1.9tdi (130bhp 52 plate) and im sure its drinking more diesel than most. I do a lot of town driving and its currently showing 35mpg as an average.

When i top up my tank from reserve it costs approx 40 quid. I checked last week and it only gave me 280 miles, 240 of those miles being in town and the rest on the motorway. I remember when i first had the car, im sure it did 380 miles but that was pure motorway driving. Is 280 miles normal from a full tank down to when the reserve light flashes???? And this is without belting the car and driving at a good pace.

What do you guys get from yours? My dad's Golf Tdi 110bhp is driven much more harshly and gives loads more milage. The computer shows 44mpg. Can the computer be wrong??

If driving in town id say 35mpg was about right to be honest, get it on the motorway and you should hit high 40's.

Remember when the light comes on there's still about a good 30 miles left in the tank too

I'm sure mine is running abit naff cos I'm only getting 230 per tank if I'm good and 200 if not. Its a 1.8 non turbo. Is this right. If not what can I do????

I get 400miles from a tank of diesel in my remapped Passat running 18" wheels, heavier car with heavy *** wheels, and 40mpg, mainly town driving. A3's should be hitting 45-50mpg easy, my mated Golf GT TDI easily does 500miles per tank, and he guns the car everywhere, somethings wrong with your car methinks.

Depends if you work it out by how many miles you actually do to the fuel you put in or read most of it off the (as Ive found to be) inaccurate computer calculation

What this guy said. We've mapped these and seen it go into the Mid 50's on an economy remap. Obvious;y you don;t see the same power gains, but it depends on what you are after.

jojo said:
I get 400miles from a tank of diesel in my remapped Passat running 18" wheels, heavier car with heavy *** wheels, and 40mpg, mainly town driving. A3's should be hitting 45-50mpg easy, my mated Golf GT TDI easily does 500miles per tank, and he guns the car everywhere, somethings wrong with your car methinks.

grathies said:
Depends if you work it out by how many miles you actually do to the fuel you put in or read most of it off the (as Ive found to be) inaccurate computer calculation

Mine are brim to brim figures, my DIS thinks I'm doing a constant 47.9mpg - yeah right. :nyah:

i got a TDI quattro 52 plate, i get about 38mpg average, mines been chipped. i notice a difference in fuel as well, shell i seem to get the best mpg, and even more with v-power, hitting 40's on town driving.
i was wondering if i should get more and when my clutch went and i had to drive like a granny i was getting a constant 45mpg around town. i just cant help giving it the odd blast every now and again. its what its there for after all!