Not driving in the snow....only a 1.4

Audi27

Reaction score
From my first and last experience of driving my A3 in the snow I have left it at home today to be safe. Only 125bhp but heavy car, front wheel drive, I got stuck numerous times a few months back and the last thing Id dread is leave it stranded somewhere.!!

Bet you S3 owner's don't blink an eye lid.

Reactions: OVRA3
Quuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooo

8148367c2d840583afd8760241ba2580.jpg

Reactions: harvz, FranA3, I oOEddOo I and 7 others
never had a problem with a mates 1.4 in the snow... winter tyres make a hell of difference. if anything too much power can make things difficult like my 2.0 tfsi.. slight foot down and wheel spin galore.

Set of front snow tyres on the front will out perform a quattro on normal summer tyres in the snow....

Only have summer tyres on and not forking cash out for snow tyre's so ill have to carry on spinning!!

Set of front snow tyres on the front will out perform a quattro on normal summer tyres in the snow....

Until you needed to stop, ABS would not like just winter tyres on the front, and summer ones on the back, Why would you think that a front wheel drive will out perform a quattro on normal Summer tyres? I doubt there be much in it, till you had to stop (assuming 4 WINTER TYRES) on the 2 wd

My old A3 with dsg was awesome in the snow, left the car pull itself away, never any drama. Leave my current car at home, know I will be ok, but so many numpties out there sliding into peoples motors, I would rather leave it tucked up safe and take the misses car hahah

i havent got stuck once in my 1.6 A3 in the over 5 years ive owned it slow and steady wins the day in snow

Dont think u should ever have problems with FWD in snow??
I would reconsider your driving "skills", your fears of snow may be your problems and it may be something psychological... Which is causing u to do what many people do on the roads for example:
"look its snow!!! break!! that will help"

i've run front only snow tyres on my old passat, no issues just watch the rear if giving it some on roundabouts etc, abs isnt bothered
then 4 snows on the passat, was even better, better than propper 4x4s (a rangerover) on wide summers
now i run wintrac extremes on my a6 quattro and its unstoppable, i've only got 3 on today as got a puncture and its still epic, the esp brakes the almost slick spare tyre and lets the other 3 get on with driving in the snow :)
pic from this morning after i had cleared the snow off and the plow had been past :)

Untitled by Ste_Nova, on Flickr

Reactions: robbiemac
It is, as said the fact that most people don't know how to drive in the snow/ice

Obviously apart from 4x4, AWD, Quattro, call it what you like, it's the FWD motors that get around (always see Skoda taxi's driving around in the snow) and it the RWD that have the problems

We should have skid pad training as a part of our driving tests :)

MY 1.6 FSi is way better than my previous Jag (RWD) was in snow - manual instead of auto helps too. Have to turn off the ESP when it gets really bad, but it's mostly fine, even though the wide summer tyres aren't very grippy this weather.

We should have skid pad training as a part of our driving tests :)

Not a bad idea! :) I was glad of my dirt biking experience when I got caught in a hailstorm on ZX9R. Balls of ice are unpleasant to ride over.

Without knowing what to do and without learning what a slide feels like, it's bound to end in tears. The standard of driving in the snow here is pretty poor - almost as bad as Bay area Californians in the rain :) hehehe

I owned a clio before my A3 and that was like a snow machine, eating up the snow! Don't think it's the fact of not knowing how to drive in the snow think it's the fact I don't own winter tyres.