Not been a great day, calling the AA in the morning!

Geoffads

Reaction score
So I get a few hundred yards from home, suddenly theres a loud bang almost like a gunshot. Plumes of smoke (white I think) from the rear, loss of power and sounding very rough. Roll it onto the drive and there's oil peeing from underneath. Not very optimistic about what the garage are going to tell me when they see it. I'm guessing parts of the turbo are now in the engine.

Que sera, good excuse to work from home for a few days.

I'm not expecting much change out of 2k. It's with them now and only time will tell, they're really busy so fitting it in between other jobs. Luckily my brother hasn't got round to selling his Octavia yet so I'm using that for a week.

This sounds like what happened to my old car and it was the because the turbo has s*** itself :unhappy: Was a good excuse at the time for me to put a uprated turbo on my car. That was the plan but that happening sped up the process lol. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get sorted bud.

Ross

Been to the garage, porous cylinder head was the problem. They're working out the full price but its not going to be pretty. I'm guessing reconditioned Cylinder heads are not advisable?

Going to open a nice bottle of rum that I was saving for christmas.

slightly confused how a porous cylinder head would cause that. Is the car a 2.0 TDI as they do suffer with porous heads. where was the oil coming from ?.

Karl.

Yeah it's a 57 plate 2.0 A3 tdi. Don't remember everything he said really, think it was the porous head that has just caused the turbo vanes to corrode over time and whilst investigating how badly everything had gone wrong they found the head issue. It dumped half the oil on my drive and the other half on their workshop floor. Two of the four holes on the back of cylinder were shiny and two were matte, can't recall which he said was normal and which were the compromised ones.

Porous heads are reasonably common on these engines and there are several threads on here about them. Was the car using water , had you been topping up the coolant. ?
Another common issue on these is oil pump failure which can cause catastrophic failures like you have had.

Karl.

Yeah was losing water, but not at a consistent rate. Have had to top it up about 3 times in the last month or so, fine before that.

Sounds like the heads gone then, but there are plenty of cars going around with this issue that don't blow up.
If the turbo has gone I would ask them to check the oil pressure is good and the pump is working OK.

£2,175 to fix. Pretty pleased really, will be sweet as a nut afterwards.

porous head... on a 57 plate???

it was common on the early ones, its just damn bad luck if yours ended up with an earlier head before first sale

Yeah really unlucky, all sorted now though. Drives really well and enjoying it. Spent so much on it this year now I've got to keep it, so looking to get leather seats and nice headunit with reversing camera.