Not another pre OPF vs OPF thread, SOUND!

Lol no doubt Danny will be telling us how "cultured" the GPF car is and he never liked the pops and bangs anyway :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998, FBF01 and infernox
Oh look... another worthwhile forum contribution from tx. Get a life man.

Those who don’t like the sound? No one is forcing you to own one. Have a issue with it? Then take it up with the EU never ending new laws and regulations on the entire industry.
Audi did well considering the pressure and time crunch they were under and they still one of the best sounding cars you can buy new.
Your postings are not always worthwhile either. Please stop trying to wind members up. It won’t be tolerated.

Reactions: FBF01 and Terminator x
The difference is night and day. I’m not criticising Audi. It’s the rules and regulations they now have to follow and it’s a damned shame.

Reactions: zippster and FBF01
Your postings are not always worthwhile either. Please stop trying to wind members up. It won’t be tolerated.

Is that how this forum works?
One member is allowed to bait another member and when they respond to that bait they get warned?

Terminatorx is quite clearly on the wind up.

Reactions: Riko0073 and (deleted member)
Let me make this clear. There is no favouritism on the forum. All members have the same rules. If your not happy about a comment you can just ignore it. If you find a comment is directed at you, you can try a pm to sort out or hit the report button.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Riko0073 and FBF01

wow, quite the difference! Thought the car with OPF sounded ok until the car without one started. OPF doesn’t sound bad, just a step back in the noise department sadly. You do buy these cars for the noise!!!! Even the new RS6 sounds a bit pants...dem da regulations

Reactions: infernox, D0C and Mr Freeze
wow, quite the difference! Thought the car with OPF sounded ok until the car without one started. OPF doesn’t sound bad, just a step back in the noise department sadly. You do buy these cars for the noise!!!! Even the new RS6 sounds a bit pants...dem da regulations
Again personal taste but I think the pre OPF car just sounds way OTT, fair enough if I’m driving an exotic super car but these are small sports cars/fast small family hatches.

My OPF with the valve controller is just right for me, gets loads of great comments on sound and don’t look too much of a knob in my mid 40’s popping and banging down the road...but ETTO and I respect that :thumbs up:

Reactions: keenu, 123Quattro, Luiggi and 3 others
Just the right amount for me but I understand others that enjoy the louder pre OPF and pre FL..respect

Reactions: 123Quattro

Totally agree

Reactions: infernox and FBF01
Again personal taste but I think the pre OPF car just sounds way OTT, fair enough if I’m driving an exotic super car but these are small sports cars/fast small family hatches.

My OPF with the valve controller is just right for me, gets loads of great comments on sound and don’t look too much of a knob in my mid 40’s popping and banging down the road...but ETTO and I respect that :thumbs up:
I agree 100%. I have a 2018 car and doing a lot of work on a 2019 GPF car. I prefer the noise of the GPF car.

Reactions: Marcrs3, Luiggi, Riko0073 and 1 other person
lol I don’t think he’s trolling, it’s a bit of jesting/cheeky banter. Doesn’t help you keep biting and then straight on the defensive . Take it like like water of a ducks ar**, it’s a forum after all!!!

WOOOOOOOSAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
The difference is night and day. I’m not criticising Audi. It’s the rules and regulations they now have to follow and it’s a damned shame.
after all its one of the main reasons we buy these cars right? the sound, the engine and performance .. take away the unmistakeable sound and its starts to look like a normal A3 (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with an A3) with a higher price tag! OPF sound is not comparable to previous sound.

SEOT!

Reactions: Terminator x and Riko0073
after all its one of the main reasons we buy these cars right? the sound, the engine and performance .. take away the unmistakeable sound and its starts to look like a normal A3 (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with an A3) with a higher price tag! OPF sound is not comparable to previous sound.

SEOT!
No not comparable to the previous sound and that’s a good thing IMO.

Car still sounds lovely and unmistakable with the 5 pot and all the better without the pops and bangs but that’s just personal choice.

Sounds way better than an S3 so an A3 just isn’t comparable!

Reactions: Luiggi and (deleted member)
Man... No one is gonna mistake the sound an OPF RS3 makes as a standard A3... or even an S3. They may not bang and pop but they are hardly quiet. Just a a lot more tame.

Coming from a PFL i do miss the over run noises but just hooning about town my OPF sounds fantastic in dynamic/sport. Granted it took a bit of getting used to. But it’s a nice sound even if it isn’t as in your face as the previous generations.

Sure is a whole lot of doom mongers on this forum.

Reactions: Luiggi and Riko0073
Man... No one is gonna mistake the sound an OPF RS3 makes as a standard A3... or even an S3. They may not bang and pop but they are hardly quiet. Just a a lot more tame.

Coming from a PFL i do miss the over run noises but just hooning about town my OPF sounds fantastic in dynamic/sport. Granted it took a bit of getting used to. But it’s a nice sound even if it isn’t as in your face as the previous generations.

Sure is a whole lot of doom mongers on this forum.
Absolutely.

My mate has an A45 and commented how great my car sounded when I pulled away from the lights the other day when he was in the next lane, wasn’t even nailing it, just has a great deep burble and unmistakable that it has something special under the bonnet.

I’ll also add that tunnels and underpasses sound ****** spectacular at wide open. Sounds way less raspy and more like a super car than my PFL.

Reactions: Marcrs3, Luiggi and Riko0073
^^^^ to be fair if you re-read my unedited response I said if you take away the sound it starts to *LOOK* like a3.

I've heard the OPF and its defiantly muted compared to my 2018 FLRs3! and that was quiet compared to the PFL , also my neighbours got a new S3 and its ruined in my opinion.. its so quiet its more like a Stealth 3.. and can only hear the power steering whine over the non existent exhaust.

nothing wrong with any of the cars, and rules and regs are there and need to be followed.. but it has taken a certain je n'ais ce quoi away from the RS brand.

ALL IMHO of course!

Reactions: Terminator x
^^^^ to be fair if you re-read my unedited response I said if you take away the sound it starts to *LOOK* like a3.

I've heard the OPF and its defiantly muted compared to my 2018 FLRs3! and that was quiet compared to the PFL , also my neighbours got a new S3 and its ruined in my opinion.. its so quiet its more like a Stealth 3.. and can only hear the power steering whine over the non existent exhaust.

nothing wrong with any of the cars, and rules and regs are there and need to be followed.. but it has taken a certain je n'ais ce quoi away from the RS brand.

ALL IMHO of course!
But the ‘looks’ are no different so that doesn’t really make sense @zippster ?

But yes I agree Audi have taken away some of the soul with the OPF based on the previous models but for some and me included the new sound actually suits better and Audi like all manufacturers are just up against the new regulations, given that and how the OPF car still sounds they’ve done a great job and still a brilliant and enjoyable car to own.

As for the S3, it wasn’t the best sounding before OPF, one of the reasons I changed to an S4 and now RS3, the new S3 doesn’t sound great IMO but again there maybe owners that enjoy it.

Enjoy your cars guys :icon thumright:

Reactions: Terminator x and Luiggi
PFL sounds better than both of them.

Reactions: savo, FBF01 and Terminator x
But the ‘looks’ are no different so that doesn’t really make sense @zippster ?

But yes I agree Audi have taken away some of the soul with the OPF based on the previous models but for some and me included the new sound actually suits better and Audi like all manufacturers are just up against the new regulations, given that and how the OPF car still sounds they’ve done a great job and still a brilliant and enjoyable car to own.

As for the S3, it wasn’t the best sounding before OPF, one of the reasons I changed to an S4 and now RS3, the new S3 doesn’t sound great IMO but again there maybe owners that enjoy it.

Enjoy your cars guys :icon thumright:

I have a 19 plate S3 with the dreaded OPF your rite it doesn't sound great compared to the 18 plate cars . I was considering a res delete but like you I don't like the pops and bangs i just wanted a bit of a deeper sound after 8k I've just learn't to live with it .

I get both sides of the argument when it comes to the OPF I personally have no issue with the OPF Rs3 I still think it sounds great
and personally prefer it being a bit quieter than the pre OPF cars maybe it is my age :sadlike: .

On the other hand I totally get why people aren't happy with how the OPF as muted the RS's sound .
But they are both great cars at the end of the day OPF or not .

Reactions: Luiggi and Riko0073
I have a 19 plate S3 with the dreaded OPF your rite it doesn't sound great compared to the 18 plate cars . I was considering a res delete but like you I don't like the pops and bangs i just wanted a bit of a deeper sound after 8k I've just learn't to live with it .

I get both sides of the argument when it comes to the OPF I personally have no issue with the OPF Rs3 I still think it sounds great
and personally prefer it being a bit quieter than the pre OPF cars maybe it is my age :sadlike: .

On the other hand I totally get why people aren't happy with how the OPF as muted the RS's sound .
But they are both great cars at the end of the day OPF or not .
Yeah maybe an age thing or personal taste.

In my mid 40’s and I’m past the pops and bangs scene, some just sound way OTT and one reason I was put off buying previous RS3’s.

A guy at my gym has a pre OPF FL and the look on some rather attractive ladies faces when he decided to rev the engine with it popping and banging confirmed my decision!

Reactions: Luiggi, Bryant1998, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
Yep age and personal taste I'd say .

I'am a few months off 40 myself and have never really liked the pops and bangs

I know where your coming from about loud cars it doesn't go down well with women my wife being
one of them

Reactions: Riko0073
No debate about it if you want a proper, 5-cylinder soundtrack ;)

Agreed 100% the OPF sound is indeed the far superior, cleaner 5 cylinder sound track, without the boy racer hoohaa.

Reactions: Marcrs3, Luiggi and Riko0073
No debate about it if you want a proper, 5-cylinder soundtrack ;)
Haha, I hear you mate but the soundtracks there alright and you can hear it better without the pops and bangs :redface new:

Nope, timed at Rockingham.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
As it’s your birthday I’ll let you reign superior in your achievement, well done you :rockwoot:

Meanwhile in the real world and after your birthday we all know the FL regardless with or without OPF would reign supreme :icon thumright:

But of course we could definitely here you coming first with the extra loud exhaust :highly amused:

Reactions: Luiggi
It all depends what your priorities are:

PFL - Noise
FL - Speed
FL OPF - Saving the planet

;)

Reactions: FBF01, zippster, savo and 1 other person

PFL - Noise
FL - Speed

;)
I reckon we’ll have the cleanest exhausts and no issues with pitted tips whilst we save the planet to :salute:

On that point I’ve found very little build up on the RS3 in comparison to my S3 and S4 both having issues with the tips, the latter having the back box replaced under warranty, would the filters help reduce the build up the exhaust omits, sure I’ve seen posts of RS3 owners complaining on the same issue?

PFL - Noise
FL - Speed

;)
And I guess we’ve got all boxes ticked with the perfect blend of noise, speed and saving the planet...it’s a win win win :icon thumright:

Reactions: D0C
I’ve got a PFL with sports exhaust and unless everyone here is driving in dynamic with their foot welded to the floor all the time (which from the comments about constant traction issues I guess that’s what people are doing?) the car shouldn’t be popping and banging all the time.

Mine will only pop and bang in dynamic and when driven ‘spiritedly’, the other 99% of the times it’s in individual with engine set to auto and it’s nice and quiet with that deep 5 cylinder burble, but by no means noisy.

Feels quieter in normal driving than my old Golf R when just cruising.

Cold start for that first minute is another matter though, still no pops and bangs but it is a bit loud ;)

Reactions: DW81, Luiggi, TheFiftheElement and 2 others
This thread was a bit of a laugh! Imo if money wasn't a consideration then fl non opf > pfl > fl opf but then again I bought purely for the sound with performance a close second which is why I ended up in a pfl.

I’ve got a PFL with sports exhaust and unless everyone here is driving in dynamic with their foot welded to the floor all the time (which from the comments about constant traction issues I guess that’s what people are doing?) the car shouldn’t be popping and banging all the time.

Mine will only pop and bang in dynamic and when driven ‘spiritedly’, the other 99% of the times it’s in individual with engine set to auto and it’s nice and quiet with that deep 5 cylinder burble, but by no means noisy.

Feels quieter in normal driving than my old Golf R when just cruising.

Cold start for that first minute is another matter though, still no pops and bangs but it is a bit loud

I'm always in dynamic with valves opened through the controller. Foot isn't always heavy but I've got the secondary cat bypass and a 100cell dp since it eliminates the smell but it definitely pops and bangs a lot even when not pushing it, especially in manual mode. Might have something to with the apr map, not sure. But for me it's nowhere near as quiet as my previous 7r. That had a full turboback Milltek non res exhaust and it dosen't even come close to how loud my rs3 is hahah.. But horses for courses ;)

Will be interesting to see if anyone ends up in the opf a45s since most of their buyers were young lads who would always be crackling down the road. It's certainly not a touch on the opf rs3 though since even without the drama it still has the 5cylinder roar, albeit toned down. Maybe when I'm 30 I will appreciate cars being a little quieter:scared2: but until then I'm going to be waking up the neighbours and causing a rort with my mates in the back giggling like girls from the pops and bangs :p

Reactions: D0C, Riko0073 and savo
I have twice an RS3 (i.e. R8 V10) and for me when in the mood the sports exhaust is awesome.........not into your bangs and pops then just turn the sports exhaust off but everything else set to dynamic. Pretty sure the next RS3 won't even come with the option of a sports exhaust just like the current R8.

I'm always in dynamic with valves opened through the controller. Foot isn't always heavy but I've got the secondary cat bypass and a 100cell dp since it eliminates the smell but it definitely pops and bangs a lot even when not pushing it, especially in manual mode. Might have something to with the apr map, not sure. But for me it's nowhere near as quiet as my previous 7r. That had a full turboback Milltek non res exhaust and it dosen't even come close to how loud my rs3 is hahah.. But horses for courses ;)

hah well yeah that’ll obviously sound a lot louder with all that so it’s not exactly comparable, but that’s my point here do all that stuff and drive it at ‘maximum’ settings and of course it’s going to be a loud noisy thing :).

But as with most things it isn’t all or nothing, if you want quiet they can be quiet too ;)

Apologies if it’s anyone’s on here, but was just walking past Waterloo this morning and a white facelift (couldn’t see up close to know whether OPF or not) and it sounded absolutely terrible, like a Corsa with a cherry bomb on it.

There was no nice 5 cylinder low down throb, it was all just unpleasant noise, coupled with the tinny sound of kids bangers going off as soon as the foot was off the throttle at all.

Would be boring if everyone liked the same thing so each to their own, but it just sounded like a 90s Nova.