Not another Nogaro!!!

List copy and pasted I think the biggest drama for me will be the ecu side of it
Why would it be? You’ve got the right cables to make comms with cluster and ecu?

Re gearbox: that’s right. The gear housing/ internals all line up.

On the TT Forum the biggest annoyance for 3.2 owners of the timing chain stretching and needing replacement. They are only 250hp though, which would be my biggest annoyance, TTShop can map them to 270bhp and remap the DSG.

Why would it be? You’ve got the right cables to make comms with cluster and ecu?

Re gearbox: that’s right. The gear housing/ internals all line up.
I tried all the ecu stuff when I swapped my cluster over what a head ache that was haha. I’m 95% going to go this route with a turbo kit been looking into it all day. The wife’s gone mad, good job your in aus or she’d av ya for planting the seed haha

Last edited:
The angle of the 'V' is greater on the earlier engines iirc...

<tuffty/>

The V angle is the same on 4mo’s/BDE/r32’s

It’s the 3.6’s that are narrower/ taller.

On the TT Forum the biggest annoyance for 3.2 owners of the timing chain stretching and needing replacement. They are only 250hp though, which would be my biggest annoyance, TTShop can map them to 270bhp and remap the DSG.

Driving the TT and then going to the VR6... the TT feels slow off the mark and getting to where it needs to be also feels sluggish. Foot down in the VR6 - in a higher gear than you think you should be in = effortless push.

It’s quite nice TBH.

I tried all the ecu stuff when I swapped my cluster over shat a head ache that was haha. I’m 95% going to go this route with a turbo kit been looking into it all day. The wife’s gone mad, good job your in aus or she’d av ya for planting the seed haha

Hahahahahahaha

Sorry wifey!!!!

The ecu stuff is “easy”. Once you see your ECU EEPROM along with this post and compare addresses. It’ll make sense. You already have a .BIN of your cluster so you know what values to look for. It’s all just patterns. Plus if you get stuck message Australia.

To reprogram the ecu without bootmode we used GQ 4x4. Very simple with a clip on attachment.

Hahahahahahaha

Sorry wifey!!!!

The ecu stuff is “easy”. Once you see your ECU EEPROM along with this post and compare addresses. It’ll make sense. You already have a .BIN of your cluster so you know what values to look for. It’s all just patterns. Plus if you get stuck message Australia.

To reprogram the ecu without bootmode we used GQ 4x4. Very simple with a clip on attachment.
Between you and my mechanic mates I should get this sorted ha

My spreadsheet of parts.

*note you also need TWO vr6 starter bolts. The 1.8t ones are too long. You can use the same bolts at the starter ground that the 1.8t gearbox uses. The extra threaded one the 13mm nut goes onto. Pretty sure it’s the first line in the spreadsheet

04AFD448 E9F3 4FC0 970A F6EA7BC5BF27
45766D8B CF06 41F4 B656 49DC32D30032

Will update with a spreadsheet link soon.

Reactions: S3AMJ
Here you can see the S3 exhaust post cat is an exact fit.

So I’ve got
VR6 exhaust mani > VR6 downpipes > VR6 cat (which is almost the same as the S3 cat however there are two lambda plugs) > S3 cat back

26FD7496 95B9 4028 868E D3C5DA9FD5A0

9F36942A 9338 44A3 BCC8 79170A3341EC

Great dedication on that swap, after such a build on the 1.8T.. Quite surprised on that decision. I've always liked to see R32 in S3 8L's.. No idea, why Audi been missed that and big break kit too as a option from factory. Sad. One of the Greatest historical models of Audi of all time.

I just dont get it. it is now 210BHP (if 2.8) or 250BHP (if 3.2) it used to be 450BHP

I just dont get it. it is now 210BHP it used to be 450BHP

I think it’s to do with the state laws or something over there, can’t quite remember but Ian did touch base on why. That and it’s a good platform to build from.... if I had the money and time I know I’d do the same and wack a nice GT35 turbo on it! Oh and that noise! The 1.8t 20v does sound a bit..... Meh!

Ian said no turbo planned and did say something about going 'interstate'? And money?
Don't know...

Great dedication on that swap, after such a build on the 1.8T.. Quite surprised on that decision. I've always liked to see R32 in S3 8L's.. No idea, why Audi been missed that and big break kit too as a option from factory. Sad. One of the Greatest historical models of Audi of all time.

Coming soon to (another) Noggie near you ;)

Or maybe not so near you...

Ian said no turbo planned and did say something about going 'interstate'? And money?
Don't know...

Definitely no turbo planned for the 2.8
I just dont get it. it is now 210BHP (if 2.8) or 250BHP (if 3.2) it used to be 450BHP
Situations change - I’m now In a situation where property is a must. Parting out the BT gear. The biggest incentive to do the swap? The learning and knowing now that engine swaps are not too scary as long as you go about it methodically, use the knowledge you’ve gained and the help around you.

Going to give bigger things a go engine wise but don’t you worry... Noggie will be about still a while longer. She’s just as much fun to drive now, the sound is ace (you can feel the v6 through the solid mounts) plus no more down low sluggishness. There’s nothing much up top but I can’t use the top end now I’m in Sydney where roads are horrible and not so spacious/straight.

Reactions: superkarl, Rainbird and S3AMJ
So going interstate was not some "Aussie slang" for something but literally moving home. :D

Best of luck Ian your thread and S3 developments will be around for as long as the internet exists.

Reactions: IPG
...Did you go for the bde code on purpose instead of the earlier ones for the vvt?

Sorry i never answered!

I went for the BDE because that's what was presented to me LOL

At the time i was actually only helping out a friend to get some parts off of a wrecking Bora.

Nekminit i get under the car and i see
- coilovers
- wheel bolt to stud conversion
- adjustable rear tie arms

The guy was lenient and gave me the Bora cluster (guess what i'm going to do with that), but when we were working on the car he's like "oh i've got a 3.2 engine too". I didn't mean to get everything but in the end we came to a bargain price so the YOLO's kicked in and i've had both sitting around since about the time i started colorMFA-ing

I never really knew about VVT etc etc until i looked into it properly and saw that the BDE was the one to get. Then digging more i found the loom is compatible with the 3.2 as well due to the quad lambda, coil over plug and VVT setup which is not the way on earlier 2.8's

Noggie in the new garage

3FD34E0C 7D0E 49FB 83A0 102CB0EDAC09

Wasn’t long till...
6797B2C1 68CE 4C37 97F8 C07115665466

Been meaning to fix this SAI delete block off plate coolant leak
7DE25016 DBB0 4AA9 A3E6 19CB098681D2

- bit of tape
29712200 FB5D 4D60 A6F8 BFFD9C8DB975

- bit of goop
297880F4 E044 446D 9E9D ADDD477447A7

- bit of a wipe over
FBF36469 4760 4087 8AF0 DE5A7B117DAE

- and stuck it all together topped off with a worm clamp
D2A5A8F0 AA5A 473D A205 469656557528

Leaving overnight to “set” before trying it out and keeping my fingers crossed it works.

Adding gasket sealant to the SAI block off worked. No more coolant leak from the top of the head!

Now onto making the little things come back to life.

Got my headlight squirters working again! Interesting to note is that the motor plug was DIFFERENT to the one I pulled off a wreck.

So there had to be some de pinning
0D5384AA BEE8 404D 94D6 9BA63462745B

33A4A8F3 75D8 4CBC B30E 4E214FEA2203

I didn’t have my proper tool (with double prongs) but doing one side at a time worked well with the single flat blade.

190F0322 87D6 4E94 A5FA FE438C793B61

Also interesting to note is that the same or nearly identical headlight washer pump is still being used in newer models.

Headlights have also been not 100% and have been sent off for repairs due to a dropped light and one globe gone kaput.

I’ve just been reading through the last few pages about the engine swap I’m still wanting to do this but not sure if I can pull it off if I can get a crashed one cheap so I’d have all parts needed will see what’s about in November when I start working on it.
Does the vr6 gearbox have different gear ratios?

that's the most ideal situation then. The way i see it in my mind

From 1.8t you wanna disconnect
(remove front)
- cardan shaft
- both sides L & R driveshafts
- remove ME7.5 ecu and the engine harness. Lay that on top
- remove all coolant lines at reservoir, heater core, radiator, after run pump
- undo gear shift cable ends
- undo both engine and trans mounts
- remove engine and gearbox

Repeat on your wreck

Once the VR6 is out - this is when you'd wanna do clutch, timing chains, oil filters etc

- I would take the a/c lines from the VR6 too it will save you from having the filling bung at the front where it's super tight on mine

Then go back where you came from. SIMPLE! LOL

Nah it's not that simple but just take your time. Have an engine leveller and you'll be right.

IDK if the vr6 has different ratios. i've re used the S3 one. Drives great and i find myself able to stay in lower gears and the torque is there

I’ve just been reading through the last few pages about the engine swap I’m still wanting to do this but not sure if I can pull it off if I can get a crashed one cheap so I’d have all parts needed will see what’s about in November when I start working on it.
Does the vr6 gearbox have different gear ratios?

Are you going to consider some forced induction in your setup? Electric supercharger?

The plan is get it up and running 1st then sort out bumper, bonnetand all the mfsw/ phone controls and tidy car up a bit and then start collecting bits (precision 6462 or similar), I just want to be able to drive the thing it’s been nearly 3 years, but if work carries on as it is I might just go straight forced induction and do without the car a bit longer, doing the swap looks daunting but if I don’t do it I think il regret it down the line

doing the swap looks daunting but if I don’t do it I think il regret it down the line

it is daunting for the first time but as long as you have the essential tools you will be fine!

Plus you have these forums when you need help.

How about this for daunting...
1F01A3C4 8D22 423B 98E5 AC5E0D9406E2
Broken
E1453FBD 8B0E 4296 9281 E977531AA87A
Broken
3F08EF8B E935 46B9 A238 B57CD78A588E
Broken
5753B488 B4A3 4741 8B1B 615E515765E5
Broken

How did that happen? Is that the other s3 you bought awhile back?

did you drop off a bridge? or being practicing your jumps again?

@Rogue.Goofball Yeah it’s a good bit of kit, works well. Downsides are that it’s bulky and the instructions are in French so I couldn’t tell you much about its functions :tearsofjoy:.

Reactions: Rogue.Goofball
We had this unit for controlling a variable exhaust for the "new" car - label was all in Mandarin. There's something online that you take a pic on your phone and then mark what bunch of text needs translating.

Next thing you know we find that it's bluetooth enabled and you have to download an app for it!

Now that bumper cars looks respectable again

....I’m thinking I’ve got time to finally assemble this.

92916B97 EEAF 425E AFFF 9486E0BDB69E

B7D37AAC DD54 419E B3A1 8126F51757D8

D709CD5F 6947 455C B48E 1E91E2609D85

A99C48DD 62DD 447C 98EC 49F03F66757A

When did you go r36? The 2.8 not enough Those are quiet rare over here