Not a happy bunny - couple of paint issues

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Gave the car a quick wash earlier as it is going into Portsmouth Audi tomorrow for a Cambelt replacement (plus water pump) to discover that I have rust at the bottom of the drivers door (where the plastic trim at the bottom screws on).

Then noticed a problem with paint peeling on the passenger door (the one replaced by the local body shop last year thanks to a foreign Lorry).

So looks like it is going to be spending some time in body shops.

So I will see what Audi say tomorrow about the rust.

Interestingly the replacement passenger door (OEM from Audi) is modified and there is a small outlet at the end of the bottom of the door. The very corner has a small cut out.

Paul

I have also noticed rust, on the rear passenger wheel arch with some paint bubbling too! Thought the body was galvanised??? Whats the corrosion warranty from Audi?? 10 years????

the bottom edge of my inside of my drivers door is rusting slightly but it looks like its been opened onto a curb. That said, if you remove the trim at the bottom of the door there are signs of rust starting - its the 8L all over again!!!!

Show it to the guys at Audi they should mesure the depth of the paint and take photos to send to Audi head office to go through the warranty procedure. It should go through as the corrosion warranty should be 11 years as long as you have not had a bump or work done on the area.

I've had a few paintwork issues sorted out through warranty, they're usually pretty good about it.

there are alot of a3,s out there with corrosion on the bottom of the doors. surely audi know about this and have a cure.think its just the shells that are galvanised.

The doors are galvanised but what often happens is the trim on top flexes & eventually rubs the paint away & then the galavanised layer leaving the metal exposed.

I have a small bubble on the bottom corner of my drivers door.
The dealer tried to tell me it was a dent. I told them that was odd as it's a bubble coming out on my paint.
Obv just trying to get out of paying for the fix.
Cars going in on the 26th an they'll giv me a final opinion on it then.
Let you know how tht goes...

Well it gets worse :crying:

A closer inspection reveals that the paint problem on the passenger door isn't a flaw with the body shops work, but a stone chip (chunk would be a better word). On my last business trip I had a loud bang, like a hard stone hitting the car, but didn't find anything obvious on the front or windscreen, so assumed it had hit one of the under trays - I guess I have just found where it hit. You can see a very shallow dent where the paint has come off.

So I guess that one will be on me :ohmy:

Audi are going to take a look at the drivers door though, whilst it is in today.

I didn't get the requested A4 courtesy car (might get an A4 next and wanted to try one for size) but I have an A5 diesel manual. Hmm has black wizzard stuff - electronic hand brake, start stop technology and a key slot job.

The Audi service guy wasn't even up on the start/stop technology and when he was demonstrating it - he couldn't understand why it was disabled but the light wasn't on the disable button. I know why now and it makes sence - the Engine has to be up to temp first. My biggest challenge so far was how to remove the key when I got to the office - hmm what happens if I push it in again - tada Engine stops and out it pops - LOL

Paul

So cambelt changed and everything seems OK but I will have a good check under the bonnet on Saturday when I have the time to spare. Did have one minor issue as the valet guys had left a dirty hand mark on the passenger seat but when I pointed it out to the service advisor it was sorted.

The paint warranty advisor couldn't comment on the rust as they only deal with the 2 year paint defect warranty - so I will need to take it to an Audi approved body shop. They kindly gave me the details of the one in their group that is in Southampton.

Tried to use the online form for customer services to get info from Audi, but that kept giving me a 500 error, so ended up speaking to them on the phone and they are going to email me back the local ones and what the procedure is.

A5 was very nice to drive, but the 2.0TDi felt a bit down on power compare to my Revo 2.0 TDi, did test it to see if I could get one in the garage and I can - so an A4 should fit in there OK.

Paul

Update - booked for an inspection at Harwoods in Totton (Local approved body shop) for 15:00 on Monday.

So they take their photos and do a report and it goes to Audi HQ for approval.

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

I am also going to pop into my local body shop on Monday to get a quote for sorting out the passenger door damage.

Paul

When you go to harwoods, ask for Graham Hill and tell him that you know me, Chris Burrows! He will make sure you get sorted out properly!

Chris

Last edited:
They have inspected it and taken photographs of the rust, the assessor (Dave) was very interested in seeing the modified passenger door (I had to have a new one about a year ago as a foreign truck hit it) so I showed him the cut out at the corner so that water can't get trapped behind the plastic door trim.

It will all go off to Audi UK now and I should hear back within a week, we discussed what will happen and there are two options, it is treated and painted or a new door. We discussed that a new door was the best option, but it is up to Audi UK. Only downside of a complete new door is that I will have to de-ICE the door and the re-ICE it when I get back, which creates a load of work for me. If they treat the door there is always a risk that it will come back.

Other downside is that they will need the car for a week and I'd get a Fiesta in return, I know that body shops have to keep the costs down, but it is a ****** if you pay for a premium brand and they give you a Fiesta in return, but I guess that it is transport.

I will keep this thread updated when I hear back.

Paul

Paul

If there going to replace it would't it just be a new door skin not a complete door? or has the rust developed on the main section of the door?

Chris

They don't skin the A3 door it is a complete replacement.

Although it will be a PITA if it is a new door because of my ICE install - at least it should be the new design and so not happen again in the future.

Paul

Quick update - still no answer yet from Harwoods so I have sent the guy a chaser email.

Took some pics today (yes I know it is dirty mud and grass from the car park at Thruxton) :-

Drivers Door
album.php
attachment.php

Modified passenger door
attachment.php

Last edited:
Well it was rejected by Audi - but there is the possibility of a Factory Goodwill - so I am awaiting hearing back on that one.

I will keep this thread updated.

I wouldn't mind but the car is only 5 years old and garaged most of it's life. My previous Mark IV Golf was 8 years old when I sold it and spent most of it's life outside and not a sign of rust on the bodywork.

Paul

thats the same rust on my drivers door too. Kinda looks like its be redesigned to divert away from the screw where the water could ingess! Shame on Audi yet again!

Looks like classic galvanic corrosion to me - the root cause may be the screw thats been used (note its a cross head, not a torx like on the passenger door so perhaps a sign of previous repair? ). If the screw is significantly different in material to the surrounding galvanised doorpanel then the door panel will corrosde at a very fast rate as a means of protecting the screw !. The bubbling under the paint is normal for corrosion of galvanised parts under paint.

Hidden screws and clips are fine, but unless they are of similar material to the surrounding metals they can cause increased corrosion !!

No repair that I am aware of on that door and I know the previous owner who had it from new.

That is of course unless a repair was carried out before he took delivery of it (new).

The bodyshop was happy that it was original.

Waiting to hear on the Factory goodwill.

Paul