Not a great show for the new diesel S4!

Only reason I had an s4 was because I got it on a 2 year lease for £280 a month, would I have the diesel one next for roughly the same price? Yes, would I like it as much? I doubt it, but for the price it wouldn't bother me, let's not forget the s4 in petrol and diesel are both slower than it's rivals, the merc c43 and BMW 340, bar the RS range I really wonder what audi are doing with the "sport" models are coming out with

I understand where your coming from there but I still feel an amazing pull from 100mph onwards, in fact the pull feels even more immense as it would from 50mph as the torque peaks at 2500rpm so you just feel like your waving a mountain of torque.

It feels like your being pushed by some other worldly force when you feel the surge of torque even after 100mph when diesels are supposed to run out of puff, mine just keeps pulling.

I know sounds like an exaggeration lol but other owners with the same engine will know the feeling
Yep with you there - my mapped 272 puts out 370bhp and 780nm - it's a hairy beast from low in the rev range. However diesels do just run out of puff after 4k rpm and a petrol will keep pulling. That's why the old RS4 started gaining on the new S4 in the drag race...because it has far more rev range to use its power over. Mine will out accelerate anything to about 100mph, it will then lag a bit through the 4th, 5th & 6th gears, and then start to reel things in again through 7th & 8th where it really starts to build serious speed. I haven't maxed it out yet but I hit 178mph on the autobahn without drama.

Reactions: syed123
S4 TDI does 1/4 mile in 13,6. Mine stock petrol S4 B9 does in 12,5-12,6, with box, wagner and milltek nonres in about 11,7-11,8. 0-100 in minę took 4,5 as stock, in TDI one its 4,8 (both draggy measured, same conditions). Those differences are huge, TDI should be around 420/800 to keep up with the preFL.
Agree, put the SQ7 kind of figures in the new S4 and that will then be where it needs to be. My A4 272 is mapped to 370bhp and 780nm, and it is absolutely neck & neck with the SQ7 (I have done the drag so have proved it). However my A4 will do 1/4mile in around 12 sec dead with the map. 420bhp & 800+ h9m would be a seller

Meh, simple tuning box and one hardware mod on the petrol S4:

Attachments

• Image from iOS (1).png
    Image from iOS (1).png
    225.9 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: OCDaveS4
Its a shame that its much harder to come by 40-60, or 50-70mph acceleration as that's much more interesting in the "real world". :readit:

Its a shame that its much harder to come by 40-60, or 50-70mph acceleration as that's much more interesting in the "real world". :readit:

? Get yourself a dragy it records everything in 10mph timing increments. You can slice the times up anyway you wish.

I had the opportunity to drive the new S4 TDI for 4 hours, and quite frankly hated it, which was a real bummer as I was hoping to fall in love and lease one!

I got back in my 380hp Leon Cupra that day and decided I'd never own a performance orientated diesel, it just doesn't make sense to me, thus the purchase of a 2yr old S4, I have no regrets, well apart from getting rid of the Leon, twice the car this S4 is!

Torque feels fast, but bhp is fast!

Reactions: scobie140
I got back in my 380hp Leon Cupra that day and decided I'd never own a performance orientated diesel, it just doesn't make sense to me, thus the purchase of a 2yr old S4, I have no regrets, well apart from getting rid of the Leon, twice the car this S4 is!

Why did you sell the Leon? I expect you could have replaced it with plenty of other cars where 1st, 2nd and 3rd aren't much use?

Why did you sell the Leon? I expect you could have replaced it with plenty of other cars where 1st, 2nd and 3rd aren't much use?
After 2 years I thought I wanted a change, so jumped into something I thought would be more premium and build to a higher standard, unfortunately I was wrong on both parts!

Although to be fair it is still stock so hard to compare, really miss the power the Leon had to offer once rolling, downpipes getting built next month, well, I hope it still is!

After 2 years I thought I wanted a change, so jumped into something I thought would be more premium and build to a higher standard, unfortunately I was wrong on both parts!

I think my wifes Skoda vrs 245 is better made than my S4. Nothing rattles in that car.

I have the S4 tdi saloon and had a golf r before that.My S4 has no rattles has had the gearbox fix so less lag but not completely gone but real world the golf would struggle to keep up.The S4 is a different type of car it is more comfortable so much better on a long run with no chronic back pain and has massive grunt when overtaking.It is happiest when on a back road to change gears manually but does everything well.Which one is quicker is kind of pointless the new S4 is a different animal if you want a super fast estate buy the rs if you want a competent all rounder that is quick enough for the uk roads the S4 is a very good car.Like most of us I love a fast wagon but I don’t need a wagon as the wife has one so if you want a saloon it’s the S4 for me.Maybe tweak it a bit over time but out the box it is a very good car and if you want a track day weapon buy an atom

I have the S4 tdi saloon and had a golf r before that.My S4 has no rattles has had the gearbox fix so less lag but not completely gone but real world the golf would struggle to keep up.The S4 is a different type of car it is more comfortable so much better on a long run with no chronic back pain and has massive grunt when overtaking.It is happiest when on a back road to change gears manually but does everything well.Which one is quicker is kind of pointless the new S4 is a different animal if you want a super fast estate buy the rs if you want a competent all rounder that is quick enough for the uk roads the S4 is a very good car.Like most of us I love a fast wagon but I don’t need a wagon as the wife has one so if you want a saloon it’s the S4 for me.Maybe tweak it a bit over time but out the box it is a very good car and if you want a track day weapon buy an atom
100% Agree, my wife has a Leon FR and they are world apart. The S4 is super premium in every way.

this is all just Willy waving isn’t it. Who really gives a toss about 0.1s or so on a drag race. Utterly pointless imho.. If you’re worried that a 340i xdrive might beat you off the lights you a fraction of a second , it’s time to look in the mirror and ask why. You can’t use the speeds these cars can achieve . Diesel or Petrol S models are both phenomenal cars.. and not apples to apples comparison either .

Reactions: Karl g, Fozzie1960 and Frizzley
Agree, put the SQ7 kind of figures in the new S4 and that will then be where it needs to be. My A4 272 is mapped to 370bhp and 780nm, and it is absolutely neck & neck with the SQ7 (I have done the drag so have proved it). However my A4 will do 1/4mile in around 12 sec dead with the map. 420bhp & 800+ h9m would be a seller
Hi, what will your a4 with the 370 hp do 0-60 have you dragged timed yours,

There are always different choices and I wouldn't buy a petrol S4 as I couldn't have lived with the economy, I didn't want a diesel but the mpg made it possible, to have good performance and a level of economy for when I have to do long motorway journeys.

The S4 and all the TDI s cars are the result of the rs5 bitdi concept and as a performance Audi with reduced co2 figures it helps to keep the rs as a none phev for another generation.

Exhaust note might be fake but most petrols are also these days with all the filters.

My average is 37.9 over a tank and 45 on motorway trips and think that's a lot to do with the 48v mhev which is brilliant.

For me the biggest disappointment is the torque converter compared to s-tronic, pull away and at redline shift aren't as seamless as I had in my old A3 but it's silky when just making normal progress.

When they say setup for the autobahn I can understand as it only slips into 8th gear at 70-75

^^ no problem with diesel but pls no need to make the performance model diesel.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SiPie
I was referring to this concept from 2014, where they suggested that an rs5 bitdi could have been the future, anyone recognise the drivetrain?

So this has been in Audi's head for 6 years and they had thought rs originally.