Northern lights!

Ghost

Booooooo!
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
You will have a good chance of seeing the Northern lights tonight over the UK if you have clear skies.

Reactions: Nilz, Jake 61 and Sandra
That sounds very good. I not sure about the sky being clear though.:) x

Reactions: Jake 61
Really? Something I've always wanted to see but, despite numerous holidays up North have never been lucky enough to experience.
Every time something cool is forecast, meteor showers and the like, it is ALWAYS cloudy here, sat up half the night to see the last lunar eclipse - total wash out.
Well, just stuck my head out the back door, unbelievably the sky is clear!
Coat - check, tartan rug - check, Ardbeg - check, glass -...... nah, Ecig-check, ****** off wife - check. (only because she's off to work though!)

Moon looks a bit bright though :-(

Reactions: Ghost
One advantage of living in Shetland , we get some stunning displays up here ....

Reactions: Sandra
"One advantage of living in Shetland , we get some stunning displays up here ...."

So much for my clear sky, HeeHaw here in Midlothian that I can see!
Back garden, nice and dark, but faces south unfortunately. Totally forgot that to the north I have a new neighbour who must get discount from powergen, it's like santa's grotto on steroids out there.

Never been to Shetland but it is on our list, is there a best time to see them or is it pot luck?

Pot Luck really , this time of year is good , sometimes you get them every night for a week , then none for a few weeks again . Seen some belters , last winter was good ..

I'm extremely jealous, something we absolutely want to see, wife was talking about a cruise of the Norwegian fjords but I'm thinking we should maybe drag the caravan up your way. If I recall ferry's a bit pricey though - slightly cheaper than a cruise mind you

yeah the boat is a bit steep, Shetland is definitely worth a visit though , stunning scenery , and very friendly place .

Photo below taken at the beginning of the year by a guy I know ..

hansaurora2.jpg

Reactions: stacey bear, Ghost, Nilz and 2 others
PS, quick google car/caravan, cabin, kennel over £1100 return? Is there a cheaper way to get to Shetland?

It was raining / cloud here last night so I had no chance, but hoped others may have had better luck?

@Stevieb2905 if you on Twitter @VirtualAstro is someone worth following for alerts.

Reactions: Sandra
Cheers for that, not signed up but I'll tell the missus, she twitters - constantly!

PS, quick google car/caravan, cabin, kennel over £1100 return? Is there a cheaper way to get to Shetland?

Holy jeezus , that's expensive, Never taken a caravan on the boat , we get a discount for travel living on the island . Flying is cheaper but obviously hiring car / campervan would put it up again . You can visit Orkney at the same time , boat stops a few nights a week there . Tbh I am a bit shocked at the price . Usually about £600 return for me with the car and family , that has to go onto the price of any holiday I go on !

We considered it a few (probably many) years back when we had a trailer tent and not a lot of spare cash. It was out of our league then, think they penalise any sort of trailer.
I didn't shop around last night, that was just a quick google out of curiosity with a good cabin, no doubt there are better deals available.
Saying that I would pay it if the light show was guaranteed!

To give you some hope @Stevieb2905 this photo was taken last night in Norfolk by Dan Hardwick

CWtX0IfXIAA6PCF.jpg:large

And this one from Bamburgh Castle by Will Nicholls

CWuxHNZXAAAmeGa.jpg:large

If the aurora isn't that bright to the naked eye, take a photo with a long exposure may get a good result?

Reactions: Jake 61, stacey bear and Nilz
Lovely shots, it doesn't even look particularly dark in Norfolk.

Starting to think I'm the only one who's never seen them