1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal Cam Wear?

CroftyOriginal Aug 4, 2018

1. CroftyOriginal

CroftyOriginal New Member

Iv been having problems and problems with this car, after finding out the oil pump is on its way out, I have been looking through the engine making sure its not done more damage, is this normal cam wear, the ca has done 91,000 miles.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. i3oricua

i3oricua Active Member Team Brill Red Audi A4 Saloon

I can't say that looks normal. I think it should look very smooth with no wear marks. The best way to inspect the cam is by taking off the fuel pump and inspecting the cam follower at the same time. Admittedly, it's probably faster and easier to take the whole valve cover off to inspect the cam that way but the one part that is making the most contact is the cam follower lobe.

4. CroftyOriginal

I changed the cam follower about a month ago but being honest I never checked the fuel lobe. Thanks :)

5. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

what engine code is fitted to your car.

6. CroftyOriginal

It’s the BUL

7. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

with a black valve cover aswell, not the earlier silver cover.
    later BUL's came with a revised follower and cam lobes were improved a lot , cam follower and cam lobe wear are much less likely with these engine s but not totally immune to it.
    It may be possible you have an early engine that still used the softer items, all cam lobes should be smooth, if you have scoring to the face of the lobe then you have a bigger problem somewhere .
    I'd be inclined to remove the valve cover and inspect everything and also check the cam follower, if that lobe with the scoring is the one that runs under the follower, then there's a very good chance that is where the scoring has come from as the hardened surface of the follower has worn through.

8. Just Rob.

Just looked at your pic again , if that view is through the oil filler cap then you most certainly need to be removing the cover to see what else is going on in there, that is the opposite end to the cam follow so the cam follower wont be the cause of that lobe damage.

9. UisT4

UisT4 Member Team Avus Silver TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

rps20180806_144516.jpg

For comparison, same engine code. 2007 with 131,000 miles on it.