Noone's S3

nooone

Reaction score
Meet my S3
1_zpsljho6ks5.jpg

Purchased in December, I previously kept this thread on a VW forum, but I think it belongs here.

This was a big step up from the '06 Polo GTI (build thread with lots of stupid questions and ideas here) even though only a year newer. Before the Polo I knew little about cars, I became obsessed with knowing all the details which are within my means and capability. Power and Handling were high on the list and the Polo was fairly tuned on the stock K03.

The 2 things the Polo were missing were class and traction. After some fun years I decided I wanted something different.
For my budget, I wasn't left with much that I wanted to test drive and after trying out a few toys decided on the S3.

The 1st one I drove was having some power issues and I was going to move on, but the seller kept lowering the price and the offer became more and more tempting. It drove OK, but was pulling timing. I had asked Mark at Recode to have a look at it for me and he was unsure as to why it wasn't responding well. In the end I purchased my Late 2007 Black S3 cheaply, it was a gamble if I would be able to fix it cheaply, but I love a bargain.

Since December the car has been enjoyed, but was always doe for a tune. I had met Mark @ Recode around 4 years ago at a Dyno day and I liked his attitude. I'd talked to him about tuning my Polo which he advised against as it was already running APR at the time and he didn't expect to be able to deliver gains to justify the spend. Since I was leaning towards the S3 and I'd seen great results from Recode on the platform, this was an easy choice.

I'd read some bad stories around the cam follower and wanted to replace the diverter valve as a precaution, so purchased these ahead of the work.
The car went to Recode this week to help determine the fault and get tuned. I jumped on the dump pipe and tune. It took a while for the issue to be diagnosed as the logs showed the car was mostly in balance, the sensors seemed good and the air and fuel were being delivered properly. This was troublesome as it wasn't easy to diagnose how to fix whatever was going on.

The cam follower and dump were installed, yielding no answers as to the issue. The cam follower was slightly worn and the stock Cat was flowing. Turns out the timing belt was installed incorrectly, the previous owner had purchased a car that was crippled and never got to enjoy it. This was rectified and all came good, ready for the tune.
The tune took out a coil pack and has shown a fuel pump in need of some upgrading.

I was able to see the last steps and stages of the dyno tune and see my limping limo getting some real power down through all 4 tyres. Once I'd had a change to drive it myself I was very impressed how much torque ther is across the rev range. The car pulls very well and the Quattro is a welcome upgrade from the FWD Polo. For now the stock Haldex setup is good.

I'm impressed with the sound of the TurboXS dump, its close to stock unless you open it up and has a lovely bark. No drone. The traction is great, I'd been reading on the Haldex upgrades but dont see a need at this point (a little more power from supporting mods and coilovers may change my perception).
I wasn't planning to go further, but have already researched many options and since the tune have been thinking more about supporting power mods and suspension.

I wrote that 2 weeks ago and wasn't ready to post, its been an interesting 2 weeks. As per my other posts I have committed to;
- KW V2's
- Neuspeed P-Flo intake
- Short Shifter
- Torque Mount Insert
- IE PCV Plate

Cam follower, Ver D divterter, new sparks and coilpacks are in and I'm now waiting to ditch the engine cover (not a fan of the integrated airbox design).

I'll have some fun playing with a airbox / shield design for the intake, there is space to work with on the S3, the Polo was very cramped by comparison.

I've also started to procure the required bits for a 2+ setup. I don't forsee moving past the K04, Stage 2 is very nice and I'm more interested in lots of torque than outright kw at high revs.

Other things I've been thinking of;
- Rear Sway (will see how things are after the V2's)
- FMIC (ebay cheapie looks interesting)
- Bushes for gear changes
- Haldex Gen 2 from HPA or similar

Input, feedback, ideas and links welcome.

KW V2 went in, collected last weekend.
Great balance of handling and comfort, huge improvement front the 8 year old stock shocks.

Very happy with the feel at 2 clicks more comfortable than stock for rebound, top of tyre in line with the arch or a few mm higher.

After some Kms, the Coilies are exhibiting some more real-world results rather than the glamour of new suspension;
- Can be a little jiggly over some bumps, esp at low speed.
- Cornering is much flatter and taking speed bumps at moderate speed does not end up with the extended undulation of spent / soft shocks
- No rubbing, bottoming, etc. Not super comfortable, but not far from stock, so I'm happy

Today I've been starting to sense the under steer that is present when approaching the cars cornering potential. I expect as I get used to this I'll consider a whiteline rear sway as there are many with positive reviews of this upgrade. I have had sways previously and don't want to make the ride too rigid.

Installed a generic (ebay) short shifter, I don't have to move my arm from the armrest at all now, lovely... I'll consider the 42DD bushes later once I have a better sense of the improvement / shortcomings.

Waiting on a few IE bits and intake coming from OS, then the slow path toward 2+ power.

Enjoy every minute of it.

Under steer is one of the most annoying bits but it can be mostly dialled out.

Nice :)

I put a rear sway bar off my prev mkV R32 on mine. 1mm bigger but thicker too in the wall.
In my opinion all it needed.
I have practically no under-steer at all, even in the wet. Eiback front coils and PS3'3 on standard S3 rims. 38psi all round.

Neuspeed intake installed, some nice sounds and some that are a bit ricey.
Car seems to like the extra air.

I've purchased a heat shield for the Golf R which I will modify to suit, hoping to get a balance of airflow, induction noise and kill the high boost dump flutter.

I'm looking around for a set of rims and tyres as a replacement / semi upgrade, I bought the car with cheap no-name tyres. They do very well in a straight line but are likely the weak link for cornering.

I started playing with a ghetto solution to test the shielding of the pod filter.
using a pot-plant container, butchered to suit, the intake suction and dump noise is reduced by half or more. Its a good start.
Next step will be to modify the heat shield I have from another setup to give the intake cool air (at least away from the fans behind the IC) and reduce some of the intake noise.

I have practically no under-steer at all, even in the wet. Eiback front coils and PS3'3 on standard S3 rims. 38psi all round.

Thanks mate, have read a number of the threads you've been involved with.
The car feels good, I think the tyres are the issue, think i'll look to get a little more stance at the same time.

Put some PSS tyres on the front today to replace the no-name rubbish the last owner purchased.

Ive never purchased expensive tyres before, they're still waxy after 100kms and yet have mad the car far better for comfort, handling and straight line traction.

I'm looking forward to stage 2+ in the coming month or 2, for now the sway bar is no longer required.

PSS's are amongst the best everyday tyres I've used,and only now finding the grip is a bit limited,which is a real testament to them.

Finally had a decent drive with the new tyres. Great fun in the twisties. Work well with the VW V2's.
I would make the car stiffer for high speed fun, but the car can be jiggly at low speed, I don't want to make it uncomfortable.

I've made an airbox for my intake, still get some noise when 2-4k rpm cruising, otherwise its great.
I was going to install a catch can this weekend I picked up 2nd hand, looks like I may not have time to do it properly, so will push it back.

Autotech fuel pump kit and RS4 valve have arrived, I'll upgrade the fuel pump myself, I may have to get someone to do the RS4 valve for me as I've not seen a good guide and seems a tricky access spot.

Its been a good few months for the S3, looking forward to 2+. I'm thinking about a 2nd hand Haldex for a bit more bite, will keep an eye on the classifieds threads.

Reactions: S3Alex
Finally had a decent drive with the new tyres. Great fun in the twisties. Work well with the VW V2's.
I would make the car stiffer for high speed fun, but the car can be jiggly at low speed, I don't want to make it uncomfortable.

I've made an airbox for my intake, still get some noise when 2-4k rpm cruising, otherwise its great.
I was going to install a catch can this weekend I picked up 2nd hand, looks like I may not have time to do it properly, so will push it back.

Autotech fuel pump kit and RS4 valve have arrived, I'll upgrade the fuel pump myself, I may have to get someone to do the RS4 valve for me as I've not seen a good guide and seems a tricky access spot.

Its been a good few months for the S3, looking forward to 2+. I'm thinking about a 2nd hand Haldex for a bit more bite, will keep an eye on the classifieds threads.

The catch can is a bit of a mixed blessing.

The good side is it does catch some of the crap that would otherwise end up on the intake valves.

The bad side is that it doesn't get all of it,and the valves will still get coked up,and emptying the thing is not only messy,but once fitted,you cannot forget to do it.
There are ways around the catch can and coking issues,but not cheap or easy.

The RS4 valve is a pain to fit unless you have bendy spanners and fingers like an octopus.

The Haldex controller.....this is just my opinion,haivng fitted and used one for some yrs.....it does make a difference to traction etc,but it's a small one,and I'd only consider it after everything else,and an LSD like a Quaife,Wavtrac or Peloquin will make a HUGE difference by comparison.

Reactions: S.
Replaced the PCV plate with 42DD plate and can today, now sitting in the stock intake location.
Installed some 10mm spacers in the rear.

Nothing substancial, but slowly getting there. I have some 10mm spacers for the front as well, but I'm not convinced there is going to be enough clearance after they go in. No rush, will install once I have the coilover adjuster, shop forgot to pass it on (just in case I need to raise the front 5mm).

Another exciting update, HPFP was ungraded with Autotech internals today. Was mostly straight forward, was overly cautious as I've not done fuelling mods before.

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats.

No dramas, car feels a little healthier around 3k rpm, but the real benefit will come from the suitable tune after I've worked out if I'll tackle the Fuel Reg valve.

Reactions: S3Alex
Did you set TDC when you did the fuel pump ? I need to do mine and some people say you need to set TDC and some other say you dont

Your mention of it in another thread was the 1st i had heard of it. I didnt set the TDC.

Happy to link the thread i followed, its for a Golf R, same engine.

I read you need to set TDC. But that was after I fitted a new pump without setting TDC...no dramas though
Ahh that makes life easier then, im getting a loba pump so should be able to swap that over easy enough then! Cheers

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist
Yep, the main thing I can see is you should let the pump prime (from opening the door) before you start it. I let the fuel pump prime twice, it barely stuttered, I was surprised how easily it started and idled normally straight away.

After removing the rear badges, it looked odd.

Re-badged, just a matte Audi logo

Dirty as usual

Front and rear 10mm spacers are on, a little rubbing on the front on steep bits, but nothing severe.

Going to try a rear swaybar next, then make a booking for 2+.

Front and rear 10mm spacers are on, a little rubbing on the front on steep bits, but nothing severe.

Going to try a rear swaybar next, then make a booking for 2+.

Remove your arch liner screws mate, should either help with the rubbing or totally eliminate it.

Whiteline RSB on yesterday, no dramas with install
Car is a litttle more jiggly in traffic and below 60kms as expected, higher speeds and twisties the car sits flatter and is more predictable.
I was surprised how the car bounced around less in fast corners.
The brakes are now showing up as the weak point, for normal driving they are fine, for anything more, they quickly fade and glaze.

I've bought a set of Talladega's (Golf R wheels) in 18" which need a repaint before they go on. I like the look of these rims, when searching I was surprised not to see them on many / any Audi's (I'm sure its been done and just didn't come up in my searches.

Last edited:
Center caps have arrived and the prep of the wheels has started. I'm thinking of a gunmetal style grey paint, interested in anyone's ideas on colours to suit a black S3 (other than black, I think its a waste).

Reactions: grchmason
Wow, it was August I last posted on here?

It took me a long time to get around to getting my wheels prepped, in the end had to be sand-blasted before powder coating a gun-metal grey. I didn't want them to be too close to the cars colour, happy with the results.

The centers were too large, a little clipping of the spare plastic around the edges and the clips line up nicely

Reactions: Tom5190
Since I've had KW V2's installed, the car has been noticeably more twitchy / bouncy at low speed (20-50kmph) in traffic on crappy roads when the petrol was low.
I added a ballast in the form of a bag of cement, wrapped up, ratchet-strapped to the rear tie-points in my boot. A better quality weight will be the end solution, but for <$10 (~5 pounds), its a good experiment.
The extra weight well back in the car has reduced the twitchyness a little, I'll know more when the tank is fully empty.
Whilst I would like to be removing weight from the fat hatchback, its a daily driver, so needs to be comfortable over minutely faster.

kW coilovers need a lot of fiddling around with the damping adjsutments to get them to work right for an individual.

Try increasing the rebound damping and see if the bounciness is reduced.

The issue I have is the weight over the rear end is so low. The rear coils and suspension are designed to take 3 rear passegners, fuel and a boot load, I rarely have passengers in the back or any real boot-load.

Some hatchbacks come with a weight in the rear bumper to even up the weight distribution, the rear weight has made the car feel more planted with a small (20kg) addition.

I'm finding the car is much more compliant with a few changes;
- Removed the extra weight in the rear
- Removed the rear sway (with the intent on going back to stock)
- Increased the rebound on the front KW V2's

The setup is more comfortable and has less understeer but does lean a little.
I've found an A3 Quattro rsb, will see if I can keep the rear planted with minimal affect to the overall pitching of the car.