Noob - S3 Buying Advice

Deezer-D

Reaction score
First post from a noob who’s never owned an Audi.
Currently driving a 2016 Golf R which is due for change in May / June. I had intended buying another MQB car (Golf R again or S3) and fitting the JB4 I have in a box under the bed but I’m now leaning toward not spending quite so much and buying an 8P S3 and getting a Revo map, decent rubber and a few minor mods like springs and spacers (maybe an intake and exhaust a bit later).
I’d be looking for something low mileage, last of the line 2011-12 and auto - been driving manual cars for 30 years and my current car is DSG and given the choice I’d never own another manual again.
So a few questions-

Are Xenons standard? Wouldn’t want to go back to halogens
Can DAB be retrofitted (without an aerial on the windscreen)? Would prefer a cleaner solution.
Bluetooth streaming - is this possible with standard audio equipment? I have an iPhone if that makes any difference?
RNS-E - is this standard in the S3? I’ve read the Pioneer thread and would consider going aftermarket for audio and CarPlay.
Cruise control - love the ACC on my Golf but guessing the 8P would have regular cruise?
Parking sensors - are they standard? Have front and rear on the Golf so kind of gotten used to having them.
Black Edition - not sure what this gives over and above the standard trim?
Wheels and Spacers - I’d be happy with OEM 18s so what spacers could I potentially run? I have brand new 16 and 11mm Forge spacers I bought for my Golf R that I never fitted. Will they fit an 8P?
Power - I’d be looking for similar performance to my current car as I’m used to it now. Would a Revo Stage 1 give me around 300bhp or would I need any other bolt ons?
Interior - not fussed on the 2 tone black / white, what was the standard option?
Budget - £15K. Will this get me a low mileage, high spec 2011-12 model?
Think that’s it for now!

Thanks in advance
D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi @Deezer-D - welcome to the forum. There’s a lot is questions there so I’ll try my best to answer what I can. Others will be along to amend/append.

First of all, you’re in the Golf R now, the MQB platform - stepping back to the S3 8P you’ll be getting a chassis platform from the early 2000’s, it’s nearly 15 years old now (maybe there was a revision for the facelift, Quattro, Sportback) but nevertheless it’s definitely not MQB tech.

£15k should get you a 61/12/62 plate S3 with decent miles. There is a couple in Autotrader at the moment for about that price with 19k miles.

Most of the later model S3’s came with RNS-E but not all. They can be retrofitted (quite expensive to purchase) but there is better after market products out there. DAB can be fitted (AutoDAB) but it will have the aerial on the window. There may be a more stealth kit available, I’ve never looked into it. Bluetooth - the RNS-E will only connect to a phone for calls if you have the Bluetooth hands free kit, so no, no music streaming. Many of us get the Viseeo Tune2Air WMA3000 which plugs into the MMI interface in the glove box. This seems to work ok. The RNS-E is also old tech...

Most have cruise control but if not it can also be easily retrofitted for roughly £200. It’s not Adaptive though, car’s too old for that!

Same applies with parking sensors. You’ll find many S3’s have rear sensors but that’s not guaranteed. Even less have front sensors but if they are fitted you’ll have the Visual Parking Aid come up on the RNS-E screen. Fronts costs about £550 for a retrofit.

Xenons are standard on the S3.

The Black Edition has gloss black interior trim and a black grille. If the S3 is a Sportback with roof rails then they’d be matte black. DSG is a good choice, I wish I’d gone DSG now.

With respect to spacers, what do you want to fit these? Many go with 12mm rear and 10mm front to fill the guards. The 16mm you have may cause some rubbing on the guards but worth a try, you can always remove them.

For your 300bhp - Revo don’t focus too much on the 8P platform any more so if you’re after a off the shelf map you’d be better going for APR. APR is £££ so wait until they have their 20% sales - APR are still developing their 8P map so you should get good support. At Stg1 you’ll see near to 300 but you should consider an intake (Revo) and exhaust system if you want to go further.

There is a couple of pinned posts on the main 8P page, take a read of these, specifically the Preventative Maintenance thread which highlights what should be done or what you’d need to do.

Good luck!

Reactions: Deezer-D
Many thanks @samuelh_888 for the response, much appreciated.
I know the MQB platform will be more advanced and as much as I love the Golf R I’m finding it difficult to justify the extra £5-7K over the 8P. I only do about 6-7K miles per year so don’t spend a massive amount of time driving.
By the sounds of it I’ll may need to go aftermarket for Bluetooth streaming and DAB which is something I’ve gotten used to the last couple of years with the Golf.
I definitely need Bluetooth for calls though.
I’m kind of stuck with Revo as I don’t think APR have anyone over here in N Ireland?
I’ll try to find one with cruise but don’t mind if I have to retrofit- would be nice to have as many options as possible though already fitted. Happy enough with rear parking sensors.
Good news on the Xenons.
Looks like I’ll need to swap the 16mm spacers for 10mm then.
I’ll have a read through the pinned posts.
Cheers
D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: samuelh_888
@samuelh_888 do u have to get so Vcds magic done to get the visual aid for the front parking sensors?. Op I would also check the paint work thoroughly. I thought I did on mine only to find later some areas of lacquer peel small but another thing to sort out. Also just keep searching on this forum and you will find out what to look for and what you want to see in the service book and when and will also give you some good ideas on what you need to do to take the car to where you want it to be as in mods. I think you are on the right track any way as you are on here asking questions before you buy the car unlike me it definitely helps your wallet. Oh also these cars have both a cam chain and belt dunno if you new that and the cam chain tensioner can fail. So could be a good haggling point. Good luck

@samuelh_888 do u have to get so Vcds magic done to get the visual aid for the front parking sensors?. Op I would also check the paint work thoroughly. I thought I did on mine only to find later some areas of lacquer peel small but another thing to sort out. Also just keep searching on this forum and you will find out what to look for and what you want to see in the service book and when and will also give you some good ideas on what you need to do to take the car to where you want it to be as in mods. I think you are on the right track any way as you are on here asking questions before you buy the car unlike me it definitely helps your wallet. Oh also these cars have both a cam chain and belt dunno if you new that and the cam chain tensioner can fail. So could be a good haggling point. Good luck

I didn’t know there was a belt as well as a chain, thanks for the heads up. Having a few months to research will definitely help when buying and ideally I’d prefer to buy from an enthusiast as the maintenance and history will likely be well documented.
I’m a bit fussy on bodywork so I’ll be checking that thoroughly too.
I’ll not be going mad with mods as I’m getting on a bit and the money is better spent making memories with the family. Ideally I’d like the same level of performance I have now in the Golf which seems easily achievable with a remap. I had initially planned to buy an 8V or another 7R and had intended squeezing a bit more power out of it with the JB4 I’ve bought but I can sell that on and recoup some cash towards a remap. I do pass a nice red 8V every morning on my walk from the car park to the office which isn’t helping my decision! 360bhp with a bolt on tuning box is very tempting.
I think the difficult thing will be getting used to a lower level of spec and creature comforts (my Golf is “poverty” spec which is very good from the factory) like streaming Apple Music and DAB radio. First world problems! If I can find a head unit that does CarPlay, Nav, Bluetooth for phone and music streaming and DAB with a roof aerial for around £500 then that might be the better option.
I was really wanting a 3 door but having gone through loads of pics the Sportback is growing on me, bit like a small Avant.
Still haven’t totally ruled out an MQB car as I have the budget it’s just a matter of justifying spending it all.

@samuelh_888 do u have to get so Vcds magic done to get the visual aid for the front parking sensors?.

Oh also these cars have both a cam chain and belt dunno if you new that and the cam chain tensioner can fail. So could be a good haggling point. Good luck

Yes, once the front sensors are fitted you need to activate via VCDS.

These cars have both a cambelt (left hand side of the engine) and a cam chain on the right. I can’t remember the mileage for replacement but if you’re looking at a vehicle on 40k miles then see if the Dealer will do cam belt and water pump.

@Deezer-D - if it’s creature comforts you’re after and have the budget go for the 8V.

A stg 1 revo will keep up with an R no problem, mine does. the RNSE is ok if its stock fitting in what you buy just get a DAB add on for it. Get the latest disc as well off ebay with full post code and you are away. My 8p was petty basic but has full bluetooth AMI ,cruise etc, not many people spent the money on an S3 without spec ing it up a bit with the comfort pack..

A stg 1 revo will keep up with an R no problem, mine does. the RNSE is ok if its stock fitting in what you buy just get a DAB add on for it. Get the latest disc as well off ebay with full post code and you are away. My 8p was petty basic but has full bluetooth AMI ,cruise etc, not many people spent the money on an S3 without spec ing it up a bit with the comfort pack..

Cheers @paddy I’ll do a bit of research into DAB add ons

That looks like it would be a great solution. Pity about the windscreen antenna as it’s not the best looking solution. Are there other solutions like a shark fin?

I believe the shark fin is only for GPS and phone if the hands free cradle is fitted. Kufatec may have an option?

I cant see why you cant run it off the std VHF aerial, i know DAB is supposed to have its own ariel but if you don't tell anyone i won't :)

The RNSE has a double fakra plug for the aerial

Alternatively, with the Tune2Air Wma3000 you could stream via Bluetooth both music and DAB from your iPhone..

Something like this: DAB + and FM Aerial Splitter for VW, Skoda and Seat for the connection of Existing Vehicle Antenna DAB + radio or SAT NAVS to Diversity Antenna System, No Separate DAB + Aerial Required Amazon product

@Deezer-D I have an auto dab set up attached to my RNSE and works well, you only notice the windscreen mounted antenna for about 2 minutes after fitting it then you don't even think about it. You won't even notice it from inside and no ones even ever asked what it is.

Reactions: Deezer-D and samuelh_888
The RNSE has a double fakra plug for the aerial

Alternatively, with the Tune2Air Wma3000 you could stream via Bluetooth both music and DAB from your iPhone..

Something like this: DAB + and FM Aerial Splitter for VW, Skoda and Seat for the connection of Existing Vehicle Antenna DAB + radio or SAT NAVS to Diversity Antenna System, No Separate DAB + Aerial Required Amazon product

Link doesn’t work @samuelh_888

@Deezer-D I have an auto dab set up attached to my RNSE and works well, you only notice the windscreen mounted antenna for about 2 minutes after fitting it then you don't even think about it. You won't even notice it from inside and no ones even ever asked what it is.

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me but if I can find an alternative solution that would be even better.

Need to confirm the connection is double fakra but if it is then this should work

Mapping can depend on where they are to where you live. I used Shark as they are only 7 miles from me. Had it on their rolling road and it was mapped there, along with that I had the DSG reprogrammed as well. Changed the upshift points and downshift along with the usual DSG map 'extras'.
Cam belt should have been changed at 5 years old regardless of mileage. Mine is a lower mileage and I went for the pump and belt.
Black Edition is great. I love the privacy glass on the rear and different interior trim, etc.
Cruise control is good for me, never had it before so I don't know anything better.
RNSE does my head in. I am sick to death of the auto-volume thing, so ******' annoying. Added to that, how can a 2011 car have a sat nav that cannot even do full post codes? What a crock of sh1t. I was using TomTom long before 2011 with full post code. Sat nav on car is rubbish.
No touchscreen! WTF? again a 2011 car with no touch screen. Criminal it really is ;)
Enjoy your search for one and for me, this wipes the floor with my Subaru. Power delivery is stunning via the DSG and manual mode on the mapped box :D Not to mention launch control, wow.

Well dont be a tight wad and buy a new disc for the nav and it will do full post codes....about £30 on ebay

and turn of the gala and it will not auto volume.

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
Well dont be a tight wad and buy a new disc for the nav and it will do full post codes....about £30 on ebay

and turn of the gala and it will not auto volume.

Haha. Touche! Actually hadn't looked for a new disc so yeh I may well do that. As for turning off gala, as far as I know on the RNSE, there is no stopping the auto-volume. Feel free to sarcastically tell me how to do it, i'm open to suggestions. :footy:

Been thinking this over the past while and I’m leaning towards an 8V Sportback if I can get one for £20K

Reactions: RPB
Been thinking this over the past while and I’m leaning towards an 8V Sportback if I can get one for £20K

You won't go wrong with either of them! Awesome cars :D Good luck with the hunt!

You won't go wrong with either of them! Awesome cars :D Good luck with the hunt!

I think I’ve gotten used to having my creature comforts with my current car that the 8V is the more logical solution and I already have a JB4 waiting to be fitted

I can't see the point on swapping a Golf r for and S3, its the same thing.
Personally i think the new S3 is a bit marmite, you either love it or hate it and that pop up sat nav is awful !

I can't see the point on swapping a Golf r for and S3, its the same thing.
Personally i think the new S3 is a bit marmite, you either love it or hate it and that pop up sat nav is awful !

My current Golf R is a lease and it goes back in June so I have to replace it. I’ve been thinking about what to replace it with and I’ve whittled the list down to 3 cars that are within my 20K budget - another Golf R, S3 8P (stage 1) or an S3 8V. The Focus RS and Civic aren’t for me and the AMG A45 is still out of budget. I don’t need or want anything bigger than the cars I’ve listed. I’m not interested in another lease and I don’t need to PCP. Even the very latest 8Ps are coming 6 years old so I might end up spending more money over the purchase price on maintenance items if I went down that route. I haven’t completely ruled it out but I am swaying towards the 8V. I need to drive one though but I’m not expecting it to be massively different to how the Golf drives

I emailed an eBay seller and he said only the 2015 disc has full postcode????

Audi themselves never released an RNSE DVD with full postcode - so these are hacked in some way. Not that it really matters, they work fine and very few units of any are still within the manufacturers warranty. There is a couple of posts elsewhere on the forum where the RNSE laser was impacted by poor copies/inferior quality DVDs so bear that in mine.

I have to say i bought one and its streets better than Audis attempt which i could never really trust
I remember coming down the M11 once and every time i came to a junction the sat nav tried to take me up the off ramp over the junction and down the on ramp again. Basically it didn't want me to go under flyovers :)

Reactions: samuelh_888