Non wife/girlfriend whinging noise

Trezzy

Reaction score
Hi all,

long term reader but first time writer here. I'm hoping someone can help me with a whinging sort of sound I've got from my 2.0tfsi A4? it is heading towards high mileage now at 129k but has a full service history! I've owned the car for over 2 years now and although this whine doesn't sound as if its getting louder or changing in tone it is starting to ruin m,y enjoyment of the car.

i have read other threads about whinging noises and i can deffo rule out partner related sound effects. it seems to worse under pressure, like accelerating! even at low revs it is there! it is deffo there up through to 3rd gear but as the speed goes up it gets harder to hear because of wind noise etc so i can't say for sure if it is doing it through all gears. I have also revved the car when stationary and the whine does still seem to be there but much more quieter. any help or advise would be so grateful! i don't think its turbo, I'm guessing its gearbox related but I know nothing about cars! i just know it sounds expensive. thanks

Hi
Hi all,

long term reader but first time writer here. I'm hoping someone can help me with a whinging sort of sound I've got from my 2.0tfsi A4? it is heading towards high mileage now at 129k but has a full service history! I've owned the car for over 2 years now and although this whine doesn't sound as if its getting louder or changing in tone it is starting to ruin m,y enjoyment of the car.

i have read other threads about whining noises and i can deffo rule out partner related sound effects. it seems to worse under pressure, like accelerating! even at low revs it is there! it is deffo there up through to 3rd gear but as the speed goes up it gets harder to hear because of wind noise etc so i can't say for sure if it is doing it through all gears. I have also revved the car when stationary and the whine does still seem to be there but much more quieter. any help or advise would be so grateful! i don't think its turbo, I'm guessing its gearbox related but I know nothing about cars! i just know it sounds expensive. thanks

Difficult to pinpoint from your description :glee: but if the whining noise is still there when the car is stationary and not in gear, it makes me think that it is not gearbox/transmission/ wheel bearing related. Simple things like bearings in the alternator, water-pump or auxiliary belt(s) tensioner can make quite a noise when they start to fail. It's just a case of examination and observation - perhaps enlisting the help of somebody who is mechanically minded. :shrug: