Non Virtual Cockpit

It's good to read through this post as I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new A4 BE, and I have a select few options that I'll be getting but the monies don't stretch to the tech pack. The colour DIS looks great, so reading this thread has made me happy with not getting the tech pack.

I got my A4 in October (67 plate) and can't seem to enable the map on the dashboard (non-VC) - does anyone know how to do this?

I think it only shows up on a non vc when you've selected a destination and guidence has been started, you then press the arrows button until you reach the navigation tab. If no destination has been set then you'll only get a compass.
Page 23 on my manual...

Reactions: NevMan
If you have the colour DIS, which I think is standard from MY18 onwards, you should be able to display navigation by moving the left/right buttons on the steering wheel. I have that option and it works for me.
I got my A4 in October (67 plate) and can't seem to enable the map on the dashboard (non-VC) - does anyone know how to do this?
If you have the colour DIS, which I think is standard from MY18 onwards, you should be able to display navigation by moving the left/right buttons on the steering wheel. I have that option and it works for me.

Sorry, what I meant was in the previous page people have managed to enable the full navigational map on the DIS (non-vc) using OBDEleven coding. I have tried using VCDS over the weekend but unfortunately unable to replicate - is there anyone with OBDEleven in the Newcastle area who is willing to give me a hand? I'm happy to donate some beer-money!

Sorry, what I meant was in the previous page people have managed to enable the full navigational map on the DIS (non-vc) using OBDEleven coding. I have tried using VCDS over the weekend but unfortunately unable to replicate - is there anyone with OBDEleven in the Newcastle area who is willing to give me a hand? I'm happy to donate some beer-money!
I think you have misunderstood what I said. If you have the colour DIS (non-vc) the full navigational map can be displayed between the speedo and rev counter.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/non-virtual-cockpit.326369

I think you have misunderstood what I said. If you have the colour DIS (non-vc) the full navigational map can be displayed between the speedo and rev counter.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/non-virtual-cockpit.326369
Ah! Sorry for that. Unfortunately mine doesn't, it just shows a compass and a simple map if i have a navigation route on my satnav. I did read previously that for some reason, the full map only comes up on selective cars...

Mine doesn't either. Is this the kind of thing Audi would enable if i contacted them? I have a 67 plate A4 Sport with colour non VC display

Hi all,

Newbie here! So hello!

Got my new B9 2.0 TFSI S-line yesterday. It's an 18 plate and has the colour DIS. I just wanted to say that I don't seem to have the option for displaying the map on the DIS either. As mentioned above, I only have Street view, Last destination and Favourites.

Has anyone had any other findings? Without using the OBDEleven, is there a way of accessing it? i.e. something simple which I may not be doing to be able to see it?

Hi all,

Newbie here! So hello!

Got my new B9 2.0 TFSI S-line yesterday. It's an 18 plate and has the colour DIS. I just wanted to say that I don't seem to have the option for displaying the map on the DIS either. As mentioned above, I only have Street view, Last destination and Favourites.

Has anyone had any other findings? Without using the OBDEleven, is there a way of accessing it? i.e. something simple which I may not be doing to be able to see it?

Hi mate managed to get the nav map working on my dashboard but one thing ive noticed is google maps started working - ive also realised i never use it and keep it on the digital speed display. Kinda wish i didnt touch it now cos i really liked google maps! (Unless anyone has a fix)

Hi all,

Newbie here! So hello!

Have you read post # 43 & 44 above?

Cracked it. The process in the link I posted yesterday works. You just need to switch off the car completely and post obsessively about it on this forum for hours. Then go back to the car and it works.
Hi mate

when you enabled map view on the dashboard with obd11, did your google maps overlap stop working? Mine loads completely on the progress bar, but google maps doesn't show - and it's also greyed out on the drop down menu.

Hi mate managed to get the nav map working on my dashboard but one thing ive noticed is google maps started working - ive also realised i never use it and keep it on the digital speed display. Kinda wish i didnt touch it now cos i really liked google maps! (Unless anyone has a fix)

Hi Jay, thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, when you say you've got the maps showing on the DIS, did you do that with the VCDS like you said in a previous post, or the OBD11? Or do you mean you found a way of doing it just by having a play with the car?

Hi Jay, thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, when you say you've got the maps showing on the DIS, did you do that with the VCDS like you said in a previous post, or the OBD11? Or do you mean you found a way of doing it just by having a play with the car?

I tried looking in VCDS but no avail, ended up using OBD11, instructions on page 1 of this thread

Late reply here. The same thing happened to me. It took me a few months to make the connection, but yes, enabling nav map on dash kills google maps on display. I rolled the change back out in the end. In fact the street view is far more useful when navigating in my opinion.

Yep, it does on my MY18 Q5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve a 2017 with colour DIS and as shown in previous posts the map displays between the dials. Had VC in a rental Tiguan and once I’d set the dials to my preference, never touched it again. The standard dials are clearer than a computer display and all the supplementary info appears in the DIS.
I thought the map between the dials would be useful, but in fact, for me, it isn’t; so my configuration is set to map on the main display and turns in the DIS.
On longer journeys, I use Apple CarPlay as the standard Nav with online traffic rerouting is too quick to change the route.

Must say I agree with the above posts regarding the non VC displays. Map on the main display and turns on the centre DIS seems to work well.

The bigger problem with not having the tech pack, for me anyway, is not getting map updates free of charge. I’m not paying Audi hundreds of pounds for a new SD card. Had I realised I might have considered selecting the tech pack after all.

Having said that, with iOS12 rapidly approaching, google maps will soon be available on car play, and that is a vastly superior product to the audi sat nav IMO.

I’ve a 2017 with colour DIS and as shown in previous posts the map displays between the dials. Had VC in a rental Tiguan and once I’d set the dials to my preference, never touched it again. The standard dials are clearer than a computer display and all the supplementary info appears in the DIS.
I thought the map between the dials would be useful, but in fact, for me, it isn’t; so my configuration is set to map on the main display and turns in the DIS.
On longer journeys, I use Apple CarPlay as the standard Nav with online traffic rerouting is too quick to change the route.

Can someone please explain how you get the Map to display on Colour DIS? I get the turn by turn coming up, but looking at other posts Non VC and I think Non Tecg pack can get the Maps on DIS.

As an aside, my infotainment "trial" has expired, do I just speak to stealer to renew/extend?

To get audi connect extended just go online and speak to audi on the live chat facility on their website. They just asked me for my car registration number and extended it there and then, for free, for another 12 months.

As for the DIS. I think those people who managed to get the map displayed on a non Tech pack car, did so by using third party programming devices/apps to “jail break” the functionality.

Reactions: AdrianWh and NevMan
thanks for that, I will give that a go now. I have a OBD11 on the way, so will see if I can unlock it that way, along with lane assist, high beam etc

thanks for that, I will give that a go now. I have a OBD11 on the way, so will see if I can unlock it that way, along with lane assist, high beam etc
Had to ring them, as can't use FB Messenger at work. Request has to go off to Germany, but apparently will renew for 12 months FOC

IMG 0077

So in the B9 S4 the non cockpit version still displays a map in between the annologue gauges.

Do you have Tech Pack? As believe this will only display if that is the case. I don’t and have MY18 Q5 and only get turn by turn in colour DIS. Going to @DJAlix on the 7th to see what magic he can work

Do you have Tech Pack? As believe this will only display if that is the case. I don’t and have MY18 Q5 and only get turn by turn in colour DIS. Going to @DJAlix on the 7th to see what magic he can work
On my MY18 A4, i'm also just getting the turn by turn directions in the colour DIS - i don't have the virtual cockpit. However in cuke2u's post above, a non-VC dash (ie without tech pack) has the colour map. I'm guessing perhaps only the S4 owners with analogue dials get the colour map in DIS?

On my MY18 A4, i'm also just getting the turn by turn directions in the colour DIS - i don't have the virtual cockpit. However in cuke2u's post above, a non-VC dash (ie without tech pack) has the colour map. I'm guessing perhaps only the S4 owners with analogue dials get the colour map in DIS?

That could be the case, but potentially implies it could be “enabled” via VCDS or similar @DJAlix

That could be the case, but potentially implies it could be “enabled” via VCDS or similar @DJAlix
Have to be honest I am not 100% on this one but more than willing to see whats possible. I know which 4G platform vehicles maps display was a combination of instrument cluster type and firmware level. This being an updated MLBevo platform there might be some hardware involved also, like an LVDS cable that could be missing or something...

Have to be honest I am not 100% on this one but more than willing to see whats possible. I know which 4G platform vehicles maps display was a combination of instrument cluster type and firmware level. This being an updated MLBevo platform there might be some hardware involved also, like an LVDS cable that could be missing or something...

Happy for my car to be “tested”

I think the difference is as follows.

The tech pack did not always include the VC as standard. These days it does - if you spec the tech pack you get the VC included.

In the past you could have the tech pack without the VC and you see this in many of the approved used B9's on the Audi website. They have the larger centre screen but no VC.

So I think if you never specced the tech pack at all, you will not be able to display the map in the centre screen (without some software trickery and magic), regardless of whether you have the 5 or 7" centre screen.

If you DID spec the tech pack WITHOUT the VC you should be able to display the map. And of course the VC is the VC.

This is, therefore, really only an issue in older cars. In new cars you have the VC or you don't. And if you don't... no map on the centre display.

Reactions: tickedon, psychopomp1 and NevMan
I think the difference is as follows.

The tech pack did not always include the VC as standard. These days it does - if you spec the tech pack you get the VC included.

In the past you could have the tech pack without the VC and you see this in many of the approved used B9's on the Audi website. They have the larger centre screen but no VC.

So I think if you never specced the tech pack at all, you will not be able to display the map in the centre screen (without some software trickery and magic), regardless of whether you have the 5 or 7" centre screen.

If you DID spec the tech pack WITHOUT the VC you should be able to display the map. And of course the VC is the VC.

This is, therefore, really only an issue in older cars. In new cars you have the VC or you don't. And if you don't... no map on the centre display.

Thanks v1rotate, well summarised and most probably spot on.

Cracked it. The process in the link I posted yesterday works. You just need to switch off the car completely and post obsessively about it on this forum for hours. Then go back to the car and it works.
Phil, how to I turn the center map display off????