Non S-Line Register

Dave R

Daveotto has confirmed the 8V auto dim mirror is slightly smaller. In an 8P Black Edition and a 2012 Golf match the mirrors are a similar size.. circa 10in x 3in. I do not see how a slightly smaller size will make any difference driving in Europe (of which we do a lot).

Re the other points I am not suggesting you are a badge snob! Both are good cars, just seems VW's are less common than Audis these days which is probably because of many factors. 1. The perceived build quality and materials appear better and actually feel nicer in an Audi. 2. Discounts in my experience can be greater with an Audi than VW. Residual values (based on desirability) are undoubtedly greater. The overall cost over 2/3 years is probably very comparable.

We have experience of a touch screen Nav RNS510 in a Golf and have used new MMI Nav in new A3's, A7 regularly and MUCH prefer MMI to the VW Touch screen which appears far more clunky and less user friendly. The VW Nav is also not positioned so well in the Mark 6 or Mark 7 Golf.
I understand the 'being retired' comment but surely we all seek to get the best value for money from all our purchases whatever our situation.

Good luck!!

I have never used the touch screen in any other VW other than the new Golf VII. From what I had read on other forums and reviews it is supposed to be better than previous versions but personally I cannot compare them.. All I do know is that the one in the Golf VII works OK for me.

My dealer says he should be able to give me the same discount (usually around 9%) on either an A3 or a Golf but he does think the A3 S-Line may take a slight hit from the residual value because there are so many of them around and a well spec'd Golf VII will hold it's value slightly better. His opinion not mine. He certainly has a lot of used S-Line's for sale at the moment.

As far as my 'being retired' comment is concerned I agree that those of us who are purchasing our car with are own money are concerned we are all trying to get a good deal but the A3 is increasing become the company car to have where perhaps the best deal is not quite so important to the individual.

One of things I will miss most if I do decide to buy a Golf will be this forum. I have been a members for nearly 11 years and have always enjoyed the great exchange of view between the members. I suppose I could stay a member although probably with less to talk about.

Last edited:
I buy all cars with our money! You need to try harder with Audi discounts , take a look at online deals and show your dealer 12% is possible on Audi apart from S3 !

I buy all cars with our money! You need to try harder with Audi discounts , take a look at online deals and show your dealer 12% is possible on Audi apart from S3 !

Discount is not the only think I am looking for. Excellent service is also important and I have no complaints about my dealer either with purchasing or servicing for the 37 years I have been using the same company for both VWs and Audi's.

Service is very important. Being sold short is equally important IMHO

I don't consider an 9% discount and an above book trade-in price as being sold short. If was taking a car that they had in stock I would probably try for a bigger discount but mine is always a factory order and the discount is always on the full price including the cost of the options.

All things are relative Dave. If you are happy with the deal that's fine. As an aged long term customer I just reckon your dealer could do rather better!

Which on-line broker and which dealer do you use and how many cars do you purchase in say 3 years.