Non - LED DRL Bulb?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Hi, on the normal, non Xenon headlights, what type of bulb is in the DRL? I know its the same bulb as the sidelight. But it changes its brightness, its duller as a sidelight, than as a DRL if that makes sense?

If anybody knows let me know! :)

Surely the ecu changes the bulb brightness depending on what the settings are that its being told?

When driving in daylight without turning the light switch on the ecu will put them on full brightness.

When you turn the sidelights on or when auto lights turn on then they do not need to be as bright because it must be darker outside ?

Simply, the ecu changes the current available to the (same) bulb to change the intensity.

If that makes sense !

Is there anyway we can VAGCOM this to keep it at its fullest brightness at all times?

Surely the ecu changes the bulb brightness depending on what the settings are that its being told?

When driving in daylight without turning the light switch on the ecu will put them on full brightness.

When you turn the sidelights on or when auto lights turn on then they do not need to be as bright because it must be darker outside ?

Simply, the ecu changes the current available to the (same) bulb to change the intensity.

If that makes sense !

Yeah that makes perfect sense! Thanks..

Does anyone know what model the bulb is? Is it a W5W? The reason I ask, is that I would like to change it for something a bit brighter!

Is there anyway we can VAGCOM this to keep it at its fullest brightness at all times?

Ive no idea. Im sure there probably is though, as its only something in the ECU that tells it to dim when the indicator is on for example.

Hi A3 sport,
I have replaced my front sidelight bulbs for upgraded ones. the standard bulbs are PS19W bulbs. I purchased mine from 'bm town', although when you search from them on there website they are not there, i rang them up and ordered a set. They weren't cheap though, but make such a difference, they are really worth it!! Hope this helps,
Dave.

Hi A3 sport,
I have replaced my front sidelight bulbs for upgraded ones. the standard bulbs are PS19W bulbs. I purchased mine from 'bm town', although when you search from them on there website they are not there, i rang them up and ordered a set. They weren't cheap though, but make such a difference, they are really worth it!! Hope this helps,
Dave.

Hi Dave that's brill thanks. Were they hard to fit? Do they flash up error codes? And also, which model bulb have you got? Sorry for the millions and one questions!

Dan

I made a post a while back about these bulbs! An absolute NIGHTMARE!!!!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...sis/102122-halogen-drls-new-bulbs-fitted.html

I had to purchase the bulbs from America and they took about a week to arrive, if you can get them from UK then go for it. I didn't like the YELLOWness the standard bulbs gave off so I looked for an alternative white bulb but couldn't find any, anywhere!!! Eventually found the ones in the above link. They were the perfect fit and had to be adjusted slightly! They throw up the odd warning message but not enough to trouble me.

Hope this helps

Hi Dan,
Its no problem at all. To be honest they weren't the easiest to fit and i did have to file the plug on the bulb so they fitted the connectors on the car which wasn't a problem. It would make it easier with the headlights out but to do that you have to remove the bumper so i pulled back the wheel arch liners to gain access to the back of the headlight and fitted them that way. I have got a 2010 model year A3 sport. The bulbs are made by NOKYA and are 'artic white, pro halogen, 7000k-35watt. The part number of them is NOK7489. I have had them installed for 3 months with no error codes at all. If you need any other help/pictures of them installed let me know,
Dave