Non-Bose B7 A4 (RNS-E) quality?

daveyb0y

Reaction score
Hey folks, I jut swapped my S3 (8P) with RNS-E and Bose, for an A4 (B7) with RNS-E and non-Bose. I connect my iPod through a Dension GW100 and this seems to just be a straight swap between the cars. Dension quote the same part-no in their compatibility lists, but, I'm sure something isn't quite right, the sound seems like it's missing all the mid-range and the bass is lacking punch.

Is this normal for what I've got?

Am I likely to need to get a different harness?

If I was going to upgrade to improve the situation, what way would be best?

The seller advertised the car as having a Harmon Kardon system, but all I could find was a "Harmon" sticker on the amp I found in the boot. Can anyone shed any light on what this is all about??

Thanks all!

No differences between BOSE and non BOSE dension harnesses for RNS-E, basically all the wires except for CD changer are pass through.

But I would say you have come from a very small compact space with BOSE to a large cavenous space without so I would expect you to notice a drop in sound quality.

Craig, what do you think is the best way forward?

Well you could go aftermarket for speakers / amps, but I have no experience of them so I cannot advise on a good solution.

Or maybe upgrade to BOSE, but again, can be time consuming and expensive, new speakers, amps, (possibly extra speakers) rewiring front to back for line level feeds and speakers.

Harman is the stock system on the B6/B7. Are you saying the drop in quality is only when you use the iPOD? Or are you commenting on the overall difference between the Bose system in the 8P and the non Bose in the B7, which will be dramatic with or without the iPOD?

Mrs B,s cab IMHO with no Bose sounds better than my S3 with Bose.

Bose is mega tinny and I never liked the house stuff when I bought some and lobbed it all out for monitor audio.

Thanks Craig, if i go the bose route, i'll likely be asking a whole bunch of additional questions! I really would prefer as OEM as possible

I was going to compare between SD card MP3's and the iPod, then I remembered that while the Dension is plugged in, all sound to the speakers is running through the Dension harness. I know craig has said there is no difference between Bose and non-Bose and that it's just pass-through, (which explains why it "worked" when I plugged it in) but I'm tempted to take the harness out and try all OEM from the SD card, compared to SD card running through Dension harness.

Blackie, that's strange, I love the way my S3 sounds. I guess it's different strokes for different folks! I'm no audiophile, so my taste is probably not one others would want, I just know my A4 sounds really weird, like something's missing!!

it's a simple test to do, but unless the harness is faulty in some way then it should be no different with or without the Dension

..true that, it might just be the difference between the two chassis as you first pointed out Craig, sound is one of those things that's really subjective I guess. I just found out that a colleague of mine also has an A4 avant (B6) without Bose, I'll see how the two compare, perhaps I'm just expecting too much of the B7!! - Thanks for your responses all, appreciated.

Just checked the differences between non BOSE and BOSE in an Avant, hoping you have got an Avant. The only extra speaker is the center dash speaker. So it should not be too difficult to swap all the speakers to BOSE and add the center speaker and then rewire the front speakers to the amp in the boot and run line level wires to the rear as well for the front speakers. Along with a mic in the roof for the audio pilot.

Probably about a days work to do it, but some custom wiring required.

Here's a complete BOSE system I found on ebay inc cables

eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst�cke, Sportartikel und mehr � alles zu g�nstigen Preisen

I had an S8 (2001) with BOSE and the sound was superb, I swapped to an RS6 (2004) with BOSE and the sound was really washed out, not tight at all compared to the S8.

Last edited:
Cheers Craig! Yeah I've got an avant, but seems to have a centre speaker?? On top of the dash, near the windscreen air vents.

It doesn't look like an expensive thing to retrofit, which is good, given the new renovation project and baby due in June!

If I'm taking the door cards off, I might plan to install some LED's (like the lights package, puddle lights/grab handles etc, in red)

Will have a proper listen in the morning, but pretty sure it was making noise... Or perhaps I just hoped it was!! Will write back!

Nope, I wasn't dreaming, it does work. Going to do shocks and springs as first mod, so will re-open this book now I know it's not mega expense.