Noisy drivers door seal

steve184

Reaction score
I know there has been plenty of posts about this in the past and is a common problem amongst A3's (why?).

I have had two A3s now and the first one didn't have this problem at all ever, my current one hasn't had this problem wither... until now!

Did anyone actually get to the bottom with it with a 'proper' tried and tested fix (by audi or otherwise) i know there were lots of DIY potential remedys banded about but did it ever get properly solved to the point where dealers know exactly what to do to fix this problem? Last time i read a post - bending the door was mentioned!!!!

Thanks

The only solutions I've heard of are crayons or new seals.

Yup, crayons. Not sure how long it cured the problem for but it's a cheap fix, albeit a temporary one!

When does it squeak, when driving, is it the black rubber seal the door shuts onto?

have you tried lifting the door for few seconds from the bottom to rear corner to adjust the hinge by literally mm, dont put loads of force on it, just see if this stops it rubbing

Bit more info would help me to understand the fault more.

Ahhh do you mean the window seal?

my old a3 creaked under the door on the sill after I cleaned them with meguiar's trim detailer. Had to clean it off. Did a good job of the black exterior trim though. Could you also use back to black on the seals to stop them creaking?

Is it a squeeky sound? I've recently got that from my passenger side but couldn't pin point where it was.

It's a squeeky sound that I have

Is it a squeeky sound? I've recently got that from my passenger side but couldn't pin point where it was.

It's a squeeky sound that I have

does the sound go away when you drop the window a mm down? if so read my post

When does it squeak, when driving, is it the black rubber seal the door shuts onto?

have you tried lifting the door for few seconds from the bottom to rear corner to adjust the hinge by literally mm, dont put loads of force on it, just see if this stops it rubbing

Bit more info would help me to understand the fault more.

Ahhh do you mean the window seal?

no its more like a twitchy sound that 'seems' to be coming from the top edge of the door - its only started over the winter (ie it was fine last summer/autumn). It happens when i go over bumps and also when i go up ramps at funny angles, ie driveway slope etc - sounds weird but its almost as if the car is twisting/flexing slightly and this is causing the door to rub against the rubbers or something - i dont know.

It's booked in for its first service in a couple of weeks so getting them to look at this along with squeaky door handles(!!!!!) (audi build quality? hmmm) so see what happens.... whats the bet.... we couldn't hear anythign sir?

So if you open the window slightly when it does this, does it go away, also try getting some wd40 or infact a small dab of grease just for testing purposes & stick it over the rubber seal in the corner & this will tell you if its just the rubber on metal making the noise fella, problem then found & can then resolve

are we talking the larger inner rubber seal here or the outer one that is fixed to the door frame and sits on the paint?

Do one at a time mate then this will show you where fault lies, so if doesnt work on one then try other, bit of fault analysis in the rain, well is down here anyway, lol