Noisey front discs, is it the grooves or holes or both?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really my front discs are bit on the noisey side, they work fantastic but can be a tad noisey under a bit more braking force than light duty, I was supplied the M-tech ML discs drilled and grooved which look great and with the big brembo's they have epic stopping power but I think I prefer something a tad more quiet
I assume the noise is down to either the drilled holes or slots or both, I'm thinking just going plain vented with dimples maybe , not m-tech ones , maybe EBC or similar, any suggestions chaps.

Could be the pads.
Which pads are you using?
And also if you don't use enough grease they can be noisy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tried two different set of pads and just the same, budget ones and mintex ones , no change, only when I use heavy braking really .
fitted them 2 or three times from 1st fit with plenty of grease, no different....never had it with the vented drilled ones so wondered if the slots were to blame.

Can't say about the discs because I haven't fitted mine yet.. But I've had noisy brakes because I didn't use enough grease.
Try brembo pads.. They're very good..

I meant to say, not brake squeal, more of a deeper sound , almost an abrasive sound if that makes sense.....I can feel it through the pedal aswell but only when I use the brake with more zest.

That's odd..
I hope. It's not because of the discs because I have a pair of drilled grooved discs to be fitted..

just been reading a few articles on other automotive sites , it maybe a more common problem than I though, a lot of owner of different makes of cars etc describe similar symptoms to mine and it seems to point at the grooves causing the noise...and some grooves patterns are more likely to be the cause than others, not had it before but then I've never had grooved discs before only vented /drilled with no issues....

yep, all parts were new, disc pads etc...they are fine under normal braking but when you get down to some heavy use they do kinda humm , strange really as not come across it before in all my driving years...pads were bedded in properly aswell.

It's probably the grooves. They're designed to de-glaze the pad, so when you really put your foot in, that's what they do.

Plain or drilled disks with a road pad should be quiet and craap out less dust.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
yes , sounds sorta like that chap, I assume discs with less grooves would be quieter then.

As Baka has said it's the grooves.

Funny how mine are whisper silent.....all depends on if the grooves have been cut square onto the disc face or have a slight angle on the groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Baka
I'd have certainly thought so. Maybe try some that are just drilled or plain mate.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I'd rather have the grooves that stops them from glazing over.....than the holes that cool the discs down too much.

Unless you're doing track days as the will cool quicker. But unless you drive like a hoonigan there's no real need for holes on the road as you do need a little heat in the discs and pads to get the best out of them.

I've had mine glowing and they cool down really fast without holes and they still work well.

As Baka has said it's the grooves.

Funny how mine are whisper silent.....all depends on if the grooves have been cut square onto the disc face or have a slight angle on the groove.

what discs are you using carl...

356mm rotors and bells.

They will be generic ones as they came with the kit and in all honesty they cut the grooves the wrong direction in the rotor.

like I say its only under heavy braking so not really a major thing , just a bit irritating really , might try some with less groves ....

maybe its the m-tech discs , I aam sure a few others using the 345 m-tech discs had the same thing, cant find the thread now, EBC do some good items, double the cost though but may not suffer with the problem as much.
Ddt54

The grooves look quite wide and square to the face but I'm on my phone so can't really see it that well.

You may find that EBC discs will be even worse.

I'd stick with you've got but that's me!

i'll stick with them for now as it's not a problem as such , just have to avoid getting overly keen with my right foot then, cheer for the help chaps, you've solved my problem .
have a good evening whats left of it.

Reactions: Baka
Look at getting some J or C hook discs Rob. That should help.