Noise when turning steering wheel at low speed

Boyakasha

Reaction score

I find the when I'm coming out of my garage in the morning or reversing in, as I turn the steering wheel to full lock there is a funny noise like plastic rubbing etc coming from outside the car. It also happens when reversing. It only seems to do it when I turn the steering wheel one way (right hand down).

Any one had this problem?

Hmmm, I've been getting a kind of creaking noise when turning the steering wheel the same way as you. It started a week ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have you got mudflaps fitted ?

A Golf Gti I used to own did this,when on full lock in reverse.

It was just the tyre tread catching the edge of a mudflap.

Never did it on full lock going forward. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Yup - mine does it too.....

The loaner I have at the moment doesnt though which is odd, and the steering feels so much lighter on it too, and it doesn't "lock up" if you turn the wheel too fast....

I think mine might have been built on a Friday afternoon!

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89
Yep, standard S-Line wheels and no mudflaps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yep - I have this noice too. Except I have it mostly when going full left, not so much right. Maybe the problem - what ever it is - is reverse on a LHD model. I will have the dealer take a look at it, just as soon as I find some time to part with the car..

ME TOO, ONLY ON LH LOCK, HAD IT FROM NEW(SEPT)THOUGHT IT WAS SUS/TOP MOUNT NOW CONVINCED ITS THE ACTUAL RACK 'CREAKING'??DEFINATELY NOT MUD FLAPS!!

Yeh, like a slight squeak/creaking noise as you turn the wheel. I think its the seal where the shaft goes through the bulkhead.

I keep meaning to take a look, but usually put the radio on and forget.

The car I have is a 2.0 TDi S-Line, standard 18" wheels and no mudflaps. I'll correct what I said previously as it is actually left hand down when turn the wheel that it makes the noise.

I had the "locking up" feeling when turning the wheel on my previous 2005MY 3.2. Felt like the assistance was on/off/on/off rapidly as I turned the wheel to extremes, especially at low speeds, in car parks for instance or when the revs were around idle. There was also a bit of a grinding noise too and it happened in both directions of the wheel. It also happened on a 2.0TDI I had as a courtesy car, although not as much.

After much debate, the dealer identified the need to replace the steering rack, which apparently is one complete unit with the power steering kit, so the idea was one fix will cure it, rather than doing things piecemeal.

Unfortunately this didn't really solve the problem but then I had the car replaced anyway so, for me anyway, the issue went away. I then had a loaner 3.2 Sportback 2005MY for 4 months and this also displayed a similar assistance problem although the grinding was not there.

My new 2006MY 3.2 Sportback has none of this problem at all though (so far - only 900 miles, but plenty of car park arm twirling already), so I guess changes have been made to the system to overcome it. The steering is lighter too compared to previous car, but I understand that changes were made to the assistance levels in conjunction with the ESP set up etc on the new models.

Rob

Having spent a bit more time in the loaner (a 1.6) it does make the noise, but nowhere near as loud as mine...

But the steering will not do the lock up thing at all.... it feels so much lighter than mine, but thats not a problem for me cos it really feels too wooly for my liking anyway.

Noticed this on mine. Then I noticed that it was only when I turn the steering wheel with the footbrake down. Knowing nothing about cars I assumed it was the DSG - if I let the footbrake out then the creaking stops.

Don't forget, when you turn from lock to lock the wheels need to rotate slightly due to the camber and the way they roll around the strut axis.

Therefore, with the footbrake on you're putting the whole steering system and tyres under great strain when you do this.

Unfortunetely it's unavoidable unless you use the handbrake when doing 3 point turns etc!

The dealership that just replaced my gearbox have ordered a new steering rack for me for this - and I didn't even mention it to them. Apparently the parts are on backorder (indicating that there is a problem with them so supply is short) but I was pretty impressed that they picked up on it, without being prompted....