Noise turning right

Andrew Sutherland

Reaction score
Am new to the forum , just been getting a a3 tdi 140 only fault it has is when turning right at about 10-20 mph it has a grinding noise from the passenger front had a look and can't se anything catch. Could someone shed some light on this

Welcome to ASN Andrew! :)

I am having the exact same issue for 2 years now and it is driving me mad! It happens only when you're in gear, and doesn't happen when in neutral correct?

@Mike597 You had this problem as well perhaps?

@Rideen think I have sorted it took the battery out today to check the gearbox bolts and found a cracked gearbox mount will fit a new one tomorrow and see if this sorts it

I am having the exact same issue for 2 years now and it is driving me mad! It happens only when you're in gear, and doesn't happen when in neutral correct?

Nope, was a guess/ something to eliminate. Should have followedfollowed with

Was just a guess, should have followed it with a question mark. Have had similar symptoms before though on another car.

Worn discs or possible sticking caliper.

Reactions: sliced
@Rideen think I have sorted it took the battery out today to check the gearbox bolts and found a cracked gearbox mount will fit a new one tomorrow and see if this sorts it

Thanks mate, please keep us informed.

Guys, this happens only when in gear, so anything related to disks and brakes is out of question at this point I think.

So if you coasted down a nice wide hill and weaved hard left and right you'd get a grinding sound from the front left as you weaved right, but it would quieten as you turn to the left? That would indicate it being the front left wheel bearing failing and grumbling when it's under load. If it is that I would expect this test to generate a rumble at any speed though.

Ah ok. Well thats close to what I get.

Mines is a noise which sounds like it's from the right when I turn right but only when there is significant sway on the chassis. So from a standing start turning right it very rarely does it. But if at say 10-20mph turning right that's when it appears.

Also I get no grumbling or any other signs of a knackered bearing the rest of the time.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the CV joint as a possible cause. A bearing would normally make a constant noise and change in pitch with increasing speed, but no way to tell for certain without actually investigating.