Noise on Start Up

BobbyCS3

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a question regarding our S3 8V S-Tronic.

On starting the car and more noticeably when its been cold and cold start on the car, there is a funny noise sounds like an electronic module or something operating for 1 or 2 seconds but is quite loud and sounds like its coming from the rear of the car? (maybe the exhaust valves doing something)

anyone else make this noise?

will try get a video soon.

Regards

Rob

Just like this?

Like you said, mine does it on a cold start and in any mode, not just dynamic. Can't say I've ever noticed it after starting the car when it's warmed up. I always wondered what this was.

Reactions: Ignition1
Just like this?

Like you said, mine does it on a cold start and in any mode, not just dynamic. Can't say I've ever noticed it after starting the car when it's warmed up. I always wondered what this was.
Yep I have noticed that noise also..Thought it was the starter motor over running..:shrug:

Reactions: Rob2k68
I must just say that was while I was still parked in the garage so it is probably amplified slightly. Caught the noise well though lol

I get exactly the same.

A few of my colleagues have Mini Cooper S's and that "whine" sound is LOUD on those cars.

Is it not the fuel pump priming up the fuel system as they run at a very high pressure?

Just like this?

Brilliant Example, that the one, as long as its not only ours im happy haha.

What are those red lights round the speedo?

Brilliant Example, that the one, as long as its not only ours im happy haha.

What are those red lights round the speedo?

Yes I like that too...noticed mine today too. Not started in dynamic but exhaust and 'engine noise' in dynamic via individual.

Adaptive cruise control matey. Do cars that don't have it not light up like that??

No dont believe they do. Looks pretty funky, what is there relevence to the cruise control? Is it for distance or something?

Dont think misses would of appreciate the lights for the cost of adaptive over normal cruise control

Reactions: Ignition1
Those lights look pretty cool! Haha

Reactions: pburv
nah mine just has the standard cruise with the comfort pack and no lovely red lights!

Is it a possible VCDS mod that can be done without 'cruise control'?
Probably but it would require the actual hardware as well. Probably a different cluster entirely if you spec ACC.

It just shows you the speed you have set. When you change the cruise apeed you can see where you are setting the new speed.
Useful when the car changes speed away from the set speed, so yoy know where it will rwturn to.

In theory it would be nice (and quite possible) to have that with the standard cruise too... But seems it isn't a feature? When you put your foot on the brake, and LED there could stay lit to show what speed you will return to if you resume cruise functionality

Didn't notice those red lights - they look great! Doubly wish I got ACC now. Also good choice of song.

Didn't notice those red lights - they look great! Doubly wish I got ACC now. Also good choice of song.

The first thing everyone mentions when getting in my car is how cool those lights are. Never even considered what it would be like without, I think it really adds something to the dash! And yes, it was annoyingly catchy haha

Reactions: Daveotto and pburv
Anyone ever work out what this noise was?? I have it too on my recently collected S3 saloon and was wondering if it's an issue

Anyone ever work out what this noise was?? I have it too on my recently collected S3 saloon and was wondering if it's an issue
My car still does this...grrrrr
I also would love to know if anyone got to the bottom of this....:yes:
It's quite embarrassing when you start the car up and everyone looks at you as if the car is about to break down or something...:hopelessness:

Mine does this too. I thought it was just a secondary air pump to light up the catalytic converters.

Hmm no idea

As long as it's not a problem

I noticed yesterday the missus car which is a new Leon 1.4 FR does exactly the same thing on startup it,s only got 700 miles on the clock??

As stated before, the fuel pump priming itself, many of my vehicles that have direct injection have made a noise from the rear. I believe the pump maybe located within the fuel tank itself...

The noise I experience is not coming from the fuel tank at all it is coming from the engine compartment.It is the same on both my car and my missus car. The noise of the fuel pump at the rear is evident when you turn on the ignition but don,t turn the engine over.The louder noise that I hear sounds simmilar to a starter motor turning over.

The noise I experience is not coming from the fuel tank at all it is coming from the engine compartment.It is the same on both my car and my missus car. The noise of the fuel pump at the rear is evident when you turn on the ignition but don,t turn the engine over.The louder noise that I hear sounds simmilar to a starter motor turning over.
As you've ruled out the in tank fuel pump priming in your car I'd say the most likely culprit is the secondary air pump, someone needs to do an under bonnet clip to confirm the location of the noise source if that's wher it's coming from.

As you've ruled out the in tank fuel pump priming in your car I'd say the most likely culprit is the secondary air pump, someone needs to do an under bonnet clip to confirm the location of the noise source if that's wher it's coming from.
Thanks for that info Richinsoton...I will check it out when I get a chance...:friends:
If this is the cause of the noise is it normal or faulty??:shrug:

Thanks for that info Richinsoton...I will check it out when I get a chance...:friends:
If this is the cause of the noise is it normal or faulty??:shrug:
I'd say it's normal if everyone has noticed it making a noise as seems to be the case from this thread. Having a 'disease all' myself rather than a petrol I have a whole different host of clatterings going on under my bonnet at start up!. :grinning:

It seems to be a common subject across all of the VAG owner forums from a quick google search of sai pump noises.

I'd say it's normal if everyone has noticed it making a noise as seems to be the case from this thread. Having a 'disease all' myself rather than a petrol I have a whole different host of clatterings going on under my bonnet at start up!. :grinning:

It seems to be a common subject across all of the VAG owner forums from a quick google search of sai pump noises.
Cheers buddy.Very interesting...:friends:

The OP's post is about a noise from the rear of the car, not the front, I don't think you specified this until I posted.

Point was clear, you didn't clarify where your noise was coming from, hence the confusion, you are in a thread started by someone asking advice about a noise from the rear...

Point was clear, you didn't clarify where your noise was coming from, hence the confusion, you are in a thread started by someone asking advice about a noise from the rear...
There was no confusion on my part I was simply carrying on a conversation regarding engine noise. Which other members kindly replied and in my opinion was not confused as to which noise I was talking about....
You seem to have a habit of trying to correct peoples posts on this forum are you a moderator????

No merely pointing out that the thread started out as a noise from the rear of the car, to which I was replying too. You, and others then added about noises your cars were making without specifying where the noise was coming from, until I suggested again it was from the fuel pump. Perhaps in future, to clarify, it would be helpful to anyone that if you are commenting in a post on one topic you make it clearer you are talking about some other situation not relevent to the original. I am not blessed with being not a mind reader and would not have referred back to the noise as being from a fuel pump if you had made what noise you were refferring to was not the same as the op's.
To me this has nothing about being a moderator but more along the lines of common sense. Also, and respectfully, can I refer you to the rules of this forum that it might be preferable, for other, to conduct this coversation by private message, so as we don't fill a thread with something others may not wish to read...

No merely pointing out that the thread started out as a noise from the rear of the car, to which I was replying too. You, and others then added about noises your cars were making without specifying where the noise was coming from, until I suggested again it was from the fuel pump. Perhaps in future, to clarify, it would be helpful to anyone that if you are commenting in a post on one topic you make it clearer you are talking about some other situation not relevent to the original. I am not blessed with being not a mind reader and would not have referred back to the noise as being from a fuel pump if you had made what noise you were refferring to was not the same as the op's.
To me this has nothing about being a moderator but more along the lines of common sense. Also, and respectfully, can I refer you to the rules of this forum that it might be preferable, for other, to conduct this coversation by private message, so as we don't fill a thread with something others may not wish to read...
Respectfully you could also press the ignore button......