Noise in pulley region

Wilkinson

Geordie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Car is a new A3 sportback 2.0 TFSI with 2,500 miles on the clock. Over the last 2/300miles it has developed a noise at tickover in the vicinity of the pulleys. It's hard to describe - like a dullish resonance. It's not there when the car is cold only when warm. Car has been back to Dealer who didn't dispute that there was a noise. Comment was "that's unusual, never heard that one before" . They stripped of the belts and covers and examined everything but could not find any faults. Anyway they said to drive it for a bit longer and see if it develops!! (At least they know if anything major happens) Are there any known "high incidence" causes of unusual noise eminating from the region of the pulleys? I've not owned an Audi before so haven't built up a lot of background knowledge yet.
Thanks

Have looked at this thread. Its not related to injector or valve noise but very much in the region of the belt(s). Is there any known recurring faults or weaknesses with components such as the alternator, water pump, idler pulleys, air con. Don't think its the air con as its there whether this is on or off. Also its now there when the car is cold. Its either caused by one of these components or is resonating from elswhere.

Have just noticed your post in the thread mentioned above in which you think one of the noises on your car could be from a tensioner and that yours is going in on Thursday for investigation. Let me know how you get on. I agree that its noisy for a new car. I've also got an 8 yr. old V6 Mondeo Ghia X which I've had from new. Its now on 45,000 mls. and runs as quiet as anything. You can hardly hear it at tickover.

I think all the noisey engines on the other thread are from the same problem. The Audi peeps are very quick to say it's caused by the injectors and all that jazz. Keep talking in the other thread though plz so we can keep it simple