Noise from Turbo ?

AGB-S3

Reaction score
Might be a silly question , [ bam]

If the turbo is on its last leg's, , are they prone to making any kind of noise ?
expected life ? [ 180,000 miles refurb etc possible ?]

Im getting, what sounds like a rustle , hiss or something akin to a motor with worn bearings
emanating from behind the center dash/glove box area ,

link with the turbo, appears the noise is linked to throttle opening and , slight delay and engine revers , needs to be 3500 4000 for it to show , then its related to amount of T opening

Car is driving normally , no engine lights etc , which is slightly confusing , am I hearing the
dump/boost valve operating for example and if so, why is it a new noise , conversely may be it was not working before, the car has a aftermarket valve fitted . thought the boost pressure showed 1 bar on the vag , never been any lack of pressure flags

actually engine .may actually be making more mid range power than before .. may be its working properly ..now ?

any thoughts ?

Tnx-G

Usually you will notice a lack of boost/torque when turbo is failing.

It does sound like perhaps your BOV was seized and has freed itself.
Have you tried removing the valve and lubing it up?

If you’re getting a dump valve sound and you don’t actually have a dump valve, check the hosing clips/clamps. Or any splitting?

Thank's , I thought it was odd , little difficult to investigate underway , with the speed the tb spins at, difficult to match the 'rumble' , if anything , the engine has more mid range power, possibly top end , but again , not so easy to check ,

But the time delay is definitely linked to the throttle position .. so could be something has started working , or there is a leak
, but it only shows round 3000 + rpm ,

I accelerate and snap shut the throttle ... If this is the 'valve' I should hear a short ' noise burst' then nothing ?

few checks on the way to/from work, and yes. appears to be the dump valve working ..
accelerate , back off the throttle , then snap shut , noise increases , holds then
short 'burst' followed by silence , till the next time ,
Odd , must of been stuck shut all this time ,

I guess if its running ok, then all must be ok ,

Reactions: Asim1