1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise from disks NOT SQUEAK!

AshRS3sportback Oct 10, 2018

1. AshRS3sportback

AshRS3sportback Member

I’ve noticed a noise coming from the front brakes when driving.

Very similar to the sound you get when your disks are maybe a little rusty after a wash. After a few dabs of the break the rust goes.... no more noise.

I have a feeling it’s the black metal shrouds behind the disks making a slight vibration, as soon as I apply the brakes it stops. When rolling without braking I can hear it! Not loud, but it’s there.

Any ideas or anyone else experienced this. PFL car

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

My guards were definitely catching. I'd hear thing occasional twang, like sheet metal catching. A few times it has got stuck and sounds so bad you instantly pull over. Audi insist all is fine. Hasn't happened for a while though.

AshRS3sportback likes this.
  4. AshRS3sportback

AshRS3sportback Member

I got home and took a wheel of to investigate,
    Can’t see anything out of place, just tapping the guards sounds like a tunning fork so perhaps I’m just hearing the vibration from those.

Either that or my pads are seized ha

5. Hal Adams

Hal Adams Well-Known Member Team Nardo VCDS Map User Audi RS3 Black Edition

You might have a pad rubbing on the disc. Bear in mind that in their released state, pads are free to move between piston and disc.

I think if the stone guards were touching the discs, it would be noticeable - my penny to your pound a small stone has become lodged between the guard and disc. This can be a pretty awful noise, but not as bad as a stone lodging between caliper and wheel...:scared2:

AshRS3sportback likes this.