1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Noggy blue S3 progress thread

daithi23 Apr 26, 2015

1. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I've been on this forum for awhile now and post every now and then. I've had my 2001 AMK S3 for just over a year now. It had never caused me any problems other than careless early morning driving leading to a burst tyre. Other than that and a clutch pedal clip I have put nothing but tax and petrol into this car. However, that all changed a month ago when my hybrid K04 died a horrible and smokey death.

I was straight on here to try and figure some stuff out and was told it could have failed as result of it being a CRturbo. I made contact with CR and I must say, they were a pleasure to deal with, but I still sent it to BBT to get the work done. He sent me a photo of the single oil feed on a twin feed bearing.... Now he's sent the bits to CR and I have been told by CR that they may do something for me once they investigate the failure.

Considering we went to the lengths of taking the head off for easy access and to address some other minor issues, I want to add something to it, I was looking at a WMI kit, but the VAG legend in Ireland told me that the nozzles cause problems with 1.8t's in that if you place the nozzle around the throttle body that two of the cylinders can be left with out the mixture. In order to do it properly, you need to make up a custom type system where you have a nozzle going into each section on the intake. For now, I think I will figure out a way to use ethanol in my daily!

Picture time!

This was after the first wash

[​IMG]

Engine bay when I got it

[​IMG]

My good friend and crafty mechanic started the stripping without me, this is what I was met with upon my arrival to his garage

[​IMG]

This is the turbo

[​IMG]

Besides seeing my turbo shaft moving from side, this was my first red flag

[​IMG]

Notice how the spark plug on cylinder 2 and 3 are considerably darker than 1 and 4. Turns out the head was cracked. The only head I could find for sale had supertech valves, springs and seats.

Now, when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade

[​IMG]

Cleaning the rocker cover for painting tomorrow morning. I also have the intake off for cleaning and painting tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I am looking for a set of 550cc injectors at the moment, I can't afford forged rods and pistons just yet. However, if anything goes wrong with the engine again I have already decided I will buy a smaller daily and park the S3 and build a fully bored, forged, stroker and look for some big figures.

Current spec:
    Alcantara steering wheel,
    R8 oil and water caps,
    BBT hybrid K04 replacing CRturbo hybrid,
    Forge FMIC,
    Forge 008,
    80mm TIP,
    Milltek 2.75" cat back

I'm not sure if the rods were done (people suspect that a previous owner may or may not have changed them)

I have a 3" downpipe and decat to fit when I am piecing the car back together. As above, I also have a new head with supertech valves, springs, and seats to fit also.

Will be updating with photos and news as the car goes back together, but don't be surprised if updates are weeks or months apart after it's sorted!

jaykay8L likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Not that big of a fan of Noggies, but that pic in the sun looks very nice!

4. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

It was dark when I bought it, and after I'd pulled into a petrol station I realised just how blue it actually is! It's really after growing on me though

5. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

Whaaaaaaat? You guys are crazy, everyone knows that Noggies rule!

6. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I love it! It's just very blue! I was going to colour match paint for my bedroom...

7. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

It's the best damn colour in town. When it's cloudy it's almost a dark bluey purple, and in bright sunshine it's bright blue. Get a polish on it and it's amazing how shiny and reflective it is. I will spec it on a new Audi at some point in my life!! Nice looking mule, especially with the sunroof which is quite rare.

8. Ben jah min

Ben jah min Registered User

Looks pretty legit and should be a weapon once its fixed up!

The noggy gang is growing in numbers :D

daithi23 likes this.
  9. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Got the rocker cover and intake manifold painted today. I'll throw up pictures when I'm at the computer. Went with gunmetal grey as that's what I'll do the wheels in.

I also want to get lowering springs and decent shocks.

Thanks, I'm used to 300 ish hp, which is why I want more. I'm just not sure about the logistics of running ethanol in my daily.

10. scott_159

scott_159 Registered User

if you pull the sump off you can see if it has standard or aftermarket rods fitted, be a good idea to clean the oil pickup while the engine is apart :)

daithi23 likes this.
  11. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I wasn't aware you could check that from under the car. Will do that later on. Really want my case back now as I've been using a mixture of a gold soft top a4 1.8t, vvt celica, and a yards to get in and out of work.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Got the manifold and rocker cover painted on Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night then with a lot of help we managed to get the new 3" downpipe in, it was a lot harder than I expected. I'd read on here before that some people cut the hanger off and weld it back on when the pipe is in, but we don't have access to a TIG welder, so we lowered the subframe and disconnected the steering column.

[​IMG]

A friend was trying to get the back box off so I could polish the tips, it proved too much!

[​IMG]

Ended up staying on and I'm taking the polish to it later on. Hopefully we'll either have the exhaust bolted up later, or the turbo bolted up. I'll be taking the FMIC off later also to clean it out fully. What is the best DIY method of cleaning them out?

Just a quick shot of the rebuilt BBT

[​IMG]

14. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Didn't get a chance to do a whole lot tonight, got the back box polished up a bit and same for the intercooler. The only significant job I got done was taking of the fmic and cleaning it out, drying it, and refitting it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the turbo bolted up, head sitting on, and maybe the exhaust back into place. I am under time pressure tomorrow though so I will have to wait and see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering the ages of the exhaust and fmic, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out after a rub of autosol.

mark_S3 likes this.
  15. Adam P

Adam P Registered User

As Scot has said, your can check the rods etc by removing the sump. Might be worth doing a decent oil change anyway. Just a matter of draining the oil and undoing the large number of sump bolts around the seal lip, dropping it and having a look. At least that will give you an idea of what level to push the car when mapping.

16. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

It's empty of oil and coolant anyway. I'd planned on cleaning out the mesh over the oil pick up so checking for rods is a very easy job then. I just didn't realise it could be done that easily. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow evening. I might take the day off on Friday to get it finished up.

17. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I was very unimpressed today, audi sent me the wrong bolts for the turbo. Given the small cost and high importance of the bolts I said I'd replace them all. Local parts manager didn't have a clue what I was talking about even though I was explaining it over the phone while we were both looking at the turbo diagram from etka. I got intake manifold studs instead of exhaust manifold. Turbo to manifold he claimed were four studs, not three bolts as I had in mine, the turbo to downpipe were the only right ones. I asked for all the nuts as well, he forgot to order them and suggested I used nylock nuts.... All that was done tonight was look at the turbo and head. I went to our local karting track to watch a racing league as my mechanic/friend are in another league on the same track.

Hopefully audi might get the finger out and I'll get a lash done tomorrow and Friday.

18. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I'm in the process of re-fitting the turbo, but the oil return pipe seems to have a very bad kink in the pipe, the pipe appears to be closed it's so bad. Has anyone ever encountered such an issue?

19. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

First photo shows the only way the pipe can sit and not be kinked, which obviously won't work as it should be sitting as shown in the second and third photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every little thing that can go wrong, has gone wrong so far. I would really appreciate if anyone could throw some light on this.

20. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I took today off work to try and get as much done to the car as possible. Firstly started off with cracking all of the shallow sump bolts, I will be cleaning the oil pick up and checking what rods I have.

Then moved on to cleaning the top of the pistons

[​IMG]

Spent a lot of the day cursing, swearing, trying to figure out what to do with that kinked pipe. In the end we took a leaf out of the k04 20vt mk2 golfs. We got a proper working solution and then this happened

[​IMG]

I was fairly excited once the turbo was bolted up as it's just seemed like one step forward two steps back the whole way so far.

Then the new head went on

[​IMG]

The guy I bought the head from forgot to include the ARP head stud lube, long story short I was hoping it would arrive into me in work during the week but it didn't. As it happens a friend has some so I will borrow his and replace it. Hopefully we might get the head bolted down tomorrow and maybe even get the timing done. All going well I may be driving by the end of the weekend!!

21. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Took off the oil pick up today, it was covered in bits of some form of sealer.

[​IMG]

After a good clean

[​IMG]

I have a shallow sump so it was much easier to do this job. Got that all sorted. The only thing stopping progress is ARP head stud lube. The guy I bought the head from forgot to include it in the sale and ordered a new sachet but it hasn't arrived yet. I was hoping to turn the key tomorrow, but now it's looking like I'm set back yet another week. All these stupid small problems are getting very, very frustrating. If anyone had a sachet of it lying around I would be very grateful.

22. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Finally got my hands on some of this
    [​IMG]

Hopefully today we will get the head bolted down and all the other bits tightened up.

23. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Got the head bolted up weds, went kart racing Thursday night, that only went ok. Friday got the cam cover on and planned the plumbing a bit. Today then the majority of the work was done. Car is now timed. Manifolds all on and tightened up. Fuel rail back on and my friend played around witth he wiring so it looks much better. We gave it a start and it seems to be blowing out of the intake manifold. No charge pipe, only the downpipe on, N249, PCV system cut out and not wired up for the delete, vacuum leaks all over the place as not every hose is attached, so it sounded like a bag of nails. But it turned over and ran on it's own. Not sure if we'll go at it again tomorrow.

24. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

It starts, ir drives, and it's quick!!! My friend/mechanic is keeping it for a day or two as she's popping hoses left right and center, but I am so happy with the way it runs and sounds. I'm literally just home from the garage now after a long day at work, I was ready to throw in the towel at about 9 this evening, but hearing it driving tonight restored all of my faith in the car and everyone that helped get it going. No pictures tonight as my phone had an accident in the garage on Saturday, getting a new one tomorrow so I should be able to take a few more of the finished product.

25. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

There was a major blow from around the turbo, turns out a turbo to manifold bolt had become a bit loose which blew the gasket out completely. I have a new gasket in Audi now but I'm also going to get new bolts and washers from Audi. All these little things are getting very frustrating. I'll clean the car out tonight maybe, once the new bolts and gasket arrive tomorrow I'll get that buttoned up, and then a good wash and wax over the weekend and hopefully that'll be that for awhile.

I'm going to get my wheels refurb'd by a local fella who is pretty hand with a spray gun. My new downpipe - decat sits fairly low so I'm not sure how much/if I can lower it. Uprated anti roll bars, bigger brakes and a few engine bits (RODS RODS RODS) are on my shopping list now. I plan on driving it for awhile and enjoying it again. Thinking of getting a small run around like a VW polo or something so that when I have the other bits I can take the S3 off the road and build it up further.

26. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

I am falling in love with this car all over again. I was almost considering not putting another penny into this and saving for an 8P, but this is the original shape of the S3, the only one to have the flared arches and the other nicer bits to standard A3. I have a few bits picked out and will be stock piling for a few weeks/months. Keep an eye on this, this could get interesting...

27. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Took a picture of the engine bay, there is still a few bits to tidy up, but you can get the idea for now. I've got a few nice ideas to really tidy up the bay and make it look a lot better. My plans for this car are simply, go fast, handle great, look good, but not care about the body work too much. There are a few stone chips, and I've no intention of getting the car sprayed as I won't drive it on, and I won't take it anywhere.

[​IMG]

IPG likes this.
  28. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Booked in for mapping this Friday. Purely just a base map for now. Not expecting anything big.

29. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Minor update.The car has been driving like a dream. The guy that was due to map the car back in June couldn't do it in the end.
    It passed the NCT after changing the rear axle bushes to polybushes.

A friend of mine is looking at getting a MK1 TT, and talking to him about building an engine has sparked my fire for it! I just need lots and lots of monies! And a cheap daily too...

30. daithi23

daithi23 Registered User

Cleaned out the catch can for the second time over the weekend. The amount of gunk in it was insane. I got no photos though as I was in a bit of a rush!